Drexel, Penn State, Widener

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
wcphillies12

Drexel, Penn State, Widener

Postby wcphillies12 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:39 pm

I've grown up in rural PA and it's where I'd like to spend the rest of my life. I've narrowed my choices down to the three schools. I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about debt while in/after law school. I could attend law school at sticker price and still come out debt-free. I'm lucky and thankful.
I really want to work in a small or mid law firm back home. I'm very close with the DA and PD in my county and I'm also really interested in that type of work. I have absolutely no desires for biglaw...I honestly didn't even know what biglaw was until I came to TLS.
As of now, Drexel has offered me a full tuition scholarship with a 2.95 min GPA stipulation
Widener offered me 30k with a min 3.0 stip
Haven't heard from PSU but let's assume I get something between 5-20k.
I've also thought about taking a year off and retaking; but I'd like to hear your input on whether that would be a smarter choice since I don't have a big law or bust attitude and with the type of work I want to enter, if going to a higher ranked school would really help me out much more.
I'm leaning towards Drexel, then PSU, and retake is my 3rd choice.
I appreciate your input

wcphillies12

Re: Drexel, Penn State, Widener

Postby wcphillies12 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:44 pm

*** edit, attending a school with over 47k tuition sticker would probably leave me with some debt

DaRascal

Postby DaRascal » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:49 pm

I say take the low-risk full ride and gun like I plan to do so Drexel. 8)

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:05 pm

Go to Drexel and drop out if you lose your scholarship first semester. Their median is 2.8 so that stip is not very good.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:09 pm

Basically all you really need is a low-cost JD from a PA school (why not Nova or Temple?). Try to negotiate that Drexel stip to top 75% (if you get any lower you should drop out anyway). If not retake for a full scholly to PSU.

wcphillies12

Postby wcphillies12 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:28 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Basically all you really need is a low-cost JD from a PA school (why not Nova or Temple?). Try to negotiate that Drexel stip to top 75% (if you get any lower you should drop out anyway). If not retake for a full scholly to PSU.

Well, I never really seriously considered Philly law schools. I initially applied to Widener and PSU-Dickinson because they were local schools. I got a fee waiver from Drexel, applied for the hell of it, then got in with the large scholarship. So Drexel became my #1. It's a little late now for me to apply to Nova or Temple. If I were to retake and do the cycle again I'd look more into those two schools. I guess what I'm wondering is if a degree from Nova or Temple is a big upgrade from a degree from Drexel if I'm looking to be in rural PA?

jchiles

Postby jchiles » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:40 pm

Take my 0L opinion for what its worth, but as someone that comes from the region you are describing and has pretty much the same goals, I would probably choose PSU or Temple if its an option. I've worked with several attorneys in government/small firms and they all laugh at the idea of actually caring where someone went to school, but these jobs are dominated by Dickinson and Temple grads, with a few from Villanova and Widener. So, if money is no issue, those are the schools I'd choose for the goals you specified. I have yet to talk to someone who doesn't have a scholarship from Drexel with some kind of strings attached, so you can be sure not everyone that goes will be keeping their money come 2L.

To be honest, I think Widener in Harrisburg would make more sense than Drexel in your situation, but once again my vote would be for PSU or Temple, with Temple being the cheaper (and probably better) option if you are stuck paying sticker. If you have any more questions PM me, I don't use this site a lot but this is something I actually know a little about.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:27 am

wcphillies12 wrote:
timbs4339 wrote:Basically all you really need is a low-cost JD from a PA school (why not Nova or Temple?). Try to negotiate that Drexel stip to top 75% (if you get any lower you should drop out anyway). If not retake for a full scholly to PSU.

Well, I never really seriously considered Philly law schools. I initially applied to Widener and PSU-Dickinson because they were local schools. I got a fee waiver from Drexel, applied for the hell of it, then got in with the large scholarship. So Drexel became my #1. It's a little late now for me to apply to Nova or Temple. If I were to retake and do the cycle again I'd look more into those two schools. I guess what I'm wondering is if a degree from Nova or Temple is a big upgrade from a degree from Drexel if I'm looking to be in rural PA?

Yes, Temple probably has a huge alumni network all over the state. Assuming you could get close to full from PSU or Temple. I'd retake here unless Drexel does something about the stips.

Widener is objectively terrible. Less than 20% even get FT lawyer jobs. Avoid.

nick417

Postby nick417 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:01 am

Since you haven't heard from PSU, I will tell you that I received only $2500K in scholarship $$$ from them with a 159/3.4 and 4 years of paralegal experience. I went to PSU as an undergraduate and I know they are biased against taking PSU grads (they like to diversify). I think PSU is on the downward. For some reason they built a law school at State College. Stupid move. It is to far away from any reasonable place to find internships and jobs. Pittsburgh has two law schools (Pitt and Duquense), and Philly has an overload of law schools. IF anything, I would say go to Carlise for Penn State.

I dropped PSU right away since it cost almost $62,000 a year to go there. That is ridiculous. Not worth it. It would cost half as much to go to Temple (a far better school) and Drexel offers nice scholarships (like you know).

wcphillies12

Postby wcphillies12 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:33 pm

I'm probably gonna retake and shoot for Temple with $$$. I don't want to sell myself short in such a large investment of time and money. This is gonna be a hard conversation with my parents and SO, but I'd rather live at home the year before law school rather than the year after.

Let's do it

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:22 am

nick417 wrote:I think PSU is on the downward.

Maybe. But you also think Drexel is "on the rise" and, hilariously, that your LSAT/GPA combo means that you will "easily maintain" your Drexel scholarship as long as you "apply" yourself. Point being, you're a 0L that has nothing useful to offer in this area.

OP, you definitely have the right idea. Retake for a big scholarship at Temple. Drexel is a festering boil of a law school. Avoid.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:50 am

wcphillies12 wrote:I'm probably gonna retake and shoot for Temple with $$$. I don't want to sell myself short in such a large investment of time and money. This is gonna be a hard conversation with my parents and SO, but I'd rather live at home the year before law school rather than the year after.

Let's do it

Excellent decision OP. Stick around TLS and utilize our great LSAT community and resources. Put the time in and the returns will be huge. Good luck!

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:22 pm

wcphillies12 wrote:I'm probably gonna retake and shoot for Temple with $$$. I don't want to sell myself short in such a large investment of time and money. This is gonna be a hard conversation with my parents and SO, but I'd rather live at home the year before law school rather than the year after.

Let's do it

Good choice! Temple with no debt (ideally reduced mainly by scholarship rather than your money or your parents' IMHO) is a decent choice although I don't know how it places in DE. You should also apply to Villanova so you can negotiate with Temple using their offer, but I'd still err toward Temple between those two, especially if you want DA/PD work.

Also, shoot for the moon with your LSAT. You may end up with even better options than these on the table. The LSAT is very learnable. It takes some people longer than others, but I believe that most people who score below, maybe, 165 or so are leaving points on the table. Enough logic games practice should get most college graduates down to 0 wrong on that section, which leaves leeway for LR and RC to be a little worse. LR is also very easy to improve and it is half the questions. If you can get logic games down to 0 (or so) wrong and LR to like -8 (over both), you are in good shape to land in the 160s even with not so great RC. Of course it depends on the curve, etc.

Anyway, congratulations on your wise decision! You are unusual in your rational approach.

wcphillies12

Postby wcphillies12 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:07 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I talked to my parents and they seem to be supportive of my decision. I used to be against the retake advice from this site, i really hated the idea of taking the lsat again. But the one thing that I thought the most about was my personal response to the scholarship stips. I would tell myself that the ability to keep the scholarship was in my control and if i worked hard i would keep it. But in reality, there are a lot of other things that can affect my law school gpa. Meanwhile, my lsat score is literally in my control and if i work harder i can get a better score. This is the best decision I can make personally and I'm excited to give it another go.

Congrats TLS, you got another convert.

Docreviewsux

Postby Docreviewsux » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:05 pm

wcphillies12 wrote:I've grown up in rural PA and it's where I'd like to spend the rest of my life. I've narrowed my choices down to the three schools. I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about debt while in/after law school. I could attend law school at sticker price and still come out debt-free. I'm lucky and thankful.
I really want to work in a small or mid law firm back home. I'm very close with the DA and PD in my county and I'm also really interested in that type of work. I have absolutely no desires for biglaw...I honestly didn't even know what biglaw was until I came to TLS.
As of now, Drexel has offered me a full tuition scholarship with a 2.95 min GPA stipulation
Widener offered me 30k with a min 3.0 stip
Haven't heard from PSU but let's assume I get something between 5-20k.
I've also thought about taking a year off and retaking; but I'd like to hear your input on whether that would be a smarter choice since I don't have a big law or bust attitude and with the type of work I want to enter, if going to a higher ranked school would really help me out much more.
I'm leaning towards Drexel, then PSU, and retake is my 3rd choice.
I appreciate your input

Widener is being sued for fraud. Don't go.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”