TIER III-- No Desire to Go Into Big Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
jmk88

TIER III-- No Desire to Go Into Big Law

Postby jmk88 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:12 pm

Hi! I am ambivalent as to whether or not I should get a JD or PhD. I have a master's in public health, which is needed to get into a PhD program in Health Policy and Management. However, I am considering a Tier III law school with a focus on health law. I can pursue it part-time at 12K per year and maintain full-time employment. My end goal is to work in mental healthcare reform (evaluation and services). Which is better: the JD or PhD? Thank you!!

guano

Re: TIER III-- No Desire to Go Into Big Law

Postby guano » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:40 pm

jmk88 wrote:Hi! I am ambivalent as to whether or not I should get a JD or PhDwant a job.I have a master's in public health, which is needed to get into a PhD program in Health Policy and Management. However,I am considering a Tier III law school with a focus on health lawunemployment. I can pursue it part-time at 12K per year and maintain full-time employment. My end goal is to work in mental healthcare reform (evaluation and services)la-la-land. Which is better:I want the JD or PhD? Thank you!!

fixed to be as preposterous to read as it is to consider

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:55 pm

In case guano's point didn't come across, don't do law school.

jmk88

Postby jmk88 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:10 pm

guano wrote:
jmk88 wrote:Hi! I am ambivalent as to whether or not I should get a JD or PhDwant a job.I have a master's in public health, which is needed to get into a PhD program in Health Policy and Management. However,I am considering a Tier III law school with a focus on health lawunemployment. I can pursue it part-time at 12K per year and maintain full-time employment. My end goal is to work in mental healthcare reform (evaluation and services)la-la-land. Which is better:I want the JD or PhD? Thank you!!

Wow, guano, you're extremely rude. Actually, I AM ALREADY EMPLOYED. I have zero debt from undergraduate (University of Florida) and graduate (University of Miami). I asked which doctorate was better due to the fiscal implications tied to each degree.

P.S.
"La-la-land" shows your gross ignorance on the field of mental healthcare.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:16 pm

jmk88 wrote:Hi! I am ambivalent as to whether or not I should get a JD or PhD. I have a master's in public health, which is needed to get into a PhD program in Health Policy and Management. However, I am considering a Tier III law school with a focus on health law. I can pursue it part-time at 12K per year and maintain full-time employment. My end goal is to work in mental healthcare reform (evaluation and services). Which is better: the JD or PhD? Thank you!!

If you're real, don't go to law school. If you want to work in healthcare reform and you can get into a funded PhD program, you could do that. What do you do for a living now? A Tier III law degree isn't a safe path to any form "reform" work or in many cases any form of legal employment.

bchirco

Postby bchirco » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:20 pm

You should retake man. Going to a better school would mean a better chance of practicing the kind of law you want to practice. Why are you choosing this tier 3? Is it because it's close?

If you are still intent, it's not the worst scenario I've heard since you can keep your job if the JD doesn't work out.

jmk88

Postby jmk88 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:27 pm

hibiki wrote:
jmk88 wrote:Hi! I am ambivalent as to whether or not I should get a JD or PhD. I have a master's in public health, which is needed to get into a PhD program in Health Policy and Management. However, I am considering a Tier III law school with a focus on health law. I can pursue it part-time at 12K per year and maintain full-time employment. My end goal is to work in mental healthcare reform (evaluation and services). Which is better: the JD or PhD? Thank you!!

If you're real, don't go to law school. If you want to work in healthcare reform and you can get into a funded PhD program, you could do that. What do you do for a living now? A Tier III law degree isn't a safe path to any form "reform" work or in many cases any form of legal employment.

I'm a teacher. I had scholarships pay for both my tuition/living expenses at UF. And, as a state employee for the past two years, UM was fully paid for. I was going to use the JD to work in healthcare administration then break out on my own. To change a system, don't you have to understand it??

jmk88

Postby jmk88 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:29 pm

bchirco wrote:You should retake man. Going to a better school would mean a better chance of practicing the kind of law you want to practice. Why are you choosing this tier 3? Is it because it's close?

If you are still intent, it's not the worst scenario I've heard since you can keep your job if the JD doesn't work out.

Main reason is to avoid debt. (It's also public and close.) I do not want to leave my job to live off loans.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:30 pm

jmk88 wrote:I'm a teacher. I had scholarships pay for both my tuition/living expenses at UF. And, as a state employee for the past two years, UM was fully paid for. I was going to use the JD to work in healthcare administration then break out on my own. To change a system, don't you have to understand it??

Yeah, no. To change a system you need the kind of legitimacy that a Tier III grad lacks. (and you can't be real, right?)

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Get an MHA. It will be much more useful than a law degree. Also, it is much easier to get into a very good MHA program as opposed to a very good law school.

guano

Postby guano » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:34 pm

jmk88 wrote:
guano wrote:

Wow, guano, you're extremely rude. Actually, I AM ALREADY EMPLOYED. I have zero debt from undergraduate (University of Florida) and graduate (University of Miami). I asked which doctorate was better due to the fiscal implications tied to each degree.

P.S.

Actually, I was only commenting on the law school aspect. Going to a tier 3 and expecting any real employment options coming out of it is, well, not smart

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:54 pm

I really should have read your original post more thoroughly. I want to make sure I understand your goals...do you want to go into healthcare administration? If so, I really think the a JD will do little to nothing to further that goal. I work in healthcare after having graduated from law school, and it is my experience that the MHA and even MPH are far more sought after degrees in the field. Do you have a reason to believe otherwise?

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:19 pm

guano wrote:
jmk88 wrote:
guano wrote:

P.S.

Actually, I was only commenting on the law school aspect. Going to a tier 3 and expecting any real employment options coming out of it is, well, not smart

Regardless, you still came off as a douche and it was very hard to tell what exactly your point was. If you're trying to give advice, try giving it in a way in which people might be even the least bit receptive to it.

Postby 052220151 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:55 pm

Aroldis105 wrote:Regardless, you still came off as a douche and it was very hard to tell what exactly your point was. If you're trying to give advice, try giving it in a way in which people might be even the least bit receptive to it.

Here, this is a less douchey way to say the same thing:

OP, don't go to TTT law school if you expect to get the job you want. Retake and go to a better school, or don't go.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:02 pm

No JD is going to give you the tools to understand a system. Getting a job in that system will. Specialty programs are flame to entice students to schools with otherwise horrible job prospects.

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:05 pm

deputydog wrote:
Aroldis105 wrote:Regardless, you still came off as a douche and it was very hard to tell what exactly your point was. If you're trying to give advice, try giving it in a way in which people might be even the least bit receptive to it.

Here, this is a less douchey way to say the same thing:

OP, don't go to TTT law school if you expect to get the job you want. Retake and go to a better school, or don't go.

+1

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:12 pm

One of the best ways to achieve your goal is to go to University of Minnesota-- the best MHA program in the U.S.. The JD won't likely be necessary. If you attend there you will get a top-level health care system internship. If you want one of the few best in the program (e.g., Mayo), your advanced degrees may help you.

The ONLY way a JD will help your path is if you go to a school with legitimate ties to D.C. policy (e.g., Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia, Chicago, NYU, Georgetown, UVA, Berkeley). However, these are long-shot at best.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:20 pm

You have a masters in public health already. Get a job, stop avoiding life by wasting years in school.

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:27 pm

^ This. A thousand times ^ this. I did what you are proposing, and it may even work out for me in the end, but there are much easier ways, and you already have a degree better suited to your goals.

mephistopheles

Postby mephistopheles » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:39 pm

cinephile wrote:You have a masters in public health already. Get a job, stop avoiding life by wasting years in school.

but education can be fulfilling!

tonton

Postby tonton » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:00 am

Deciding to gain further expertise in his/her field of study is not "avoiding life by wasting years in school"

edit: also s/he already has a job, that they aren't leaving

Innit

Postby Innit » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:01 am

^ This a thousand times ^

pocket herc

Postby pocket herc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:10 am

It is likely a waste of money if it doesn't serve to benefit their career. If it can be explained how a JD will work to further those goals, I'd love to hear. From my experience, a JD does not make someone more viable for an administrative position in healthcare.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:19 am

The cost isn't the issue so much as the "Why are you getting a law degree?" Is it going to help you in your current career? You haven't given us enough information to really know that, and that's something you have to figure out for yourself. If the JD can help you in your career, it sounds like it wouldn't be a bad option to go PT to the local T3. But you need to make sure you're not just wasting your time and money.

jack5on

Postby jack5on » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:52 am

I would hope you can determine which would be more advantageous pretty easily. Have you checked for jobs/places you would like to work after you have earned your next degree? In their qualifications/preferences what degree(s) do they list? No one would know better than the parties hiring.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”