BC vs. BU vs. GW vs. Cornell

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where should I deposit?

BU (30k/yr scholarship)
16%
BC (30K/yr scholarship)
21%
GW (30K/yr scholarship)
16%
Cornell (10K/yr scholarship)
47%

Total votes: 38

kaf5250

BC vs. BU vs. GW vs. Cornell

Postby kaf5250 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:46 am

So I'm looking at identical offers from all three (not Cornell) and significantly less from Cornell, I visited all three and really liked them (BU slightly more than BC for the location), what to do?
Last edited by kaf5250 on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SportsFan

Re: BC vs. BU vs. GW vs. Cornell

Postby SportsFan » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:51 am

Personally, I'd go to Cornell and drop out after 1L if you don't get biglaw.

Can you give your total COA at all 3 schools? I think that'd help a lot to figure out which offer to take.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:52 am

For me, it's not even close. Cornell by a mile. 30k doesn't seem like enough money to justify turning down much better job prospects.

What are your goals though?

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:53 am

Oh wait! Misread and thought it was 30k for all three years.

Hmmmm that changes things a little. Now we really need to know your goals to advise you.
Last edited by stuckinthemiddle on Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaf5250

Postby kaf5250 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:53 am

I want to do public interest, that was probably important to mention, I'm not really interested in big law much if at all at this point I want to get into child advocacy

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:54 am

Then I'd take BU/BC. But that's still a lot of debt given your chosen career path.

kaf5250

Postby kaf5250 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:55 am

As for COA I will probably be funding everything exclusively through loans unless my fiance gets a good job right out of his masters program (2 years) and can pay COL my 3L year.

kaf5250

Postby kaf5250 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:33 pm

So I'm interested to know why so many are voting BU over GW? Is it simply cost of living or is there something in there about placement/public interest? I am visiting GW this weekend and it was becoming my frontrunner considering how ridiculously expensive Cornell is/its location in DC which seems like it would open up some pretty unique opportunities/ the fact that it is a solid 10 ranks above BU but now you have me questioning. Can anyone give me some insight this decision making is so stressful!

islandrose0913

Postby islandrose0913 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:50 am

kaf5250 wrote:So I'm interested to know why so many are voting BU over GW? Is it simply cost of living or is there something in there about placement/public interest? I am visiting GW this weekend and it was becoming my frontrunner considering how ridiculously expensive Cornell is/its location in DC which seems like it would open up some pretty unique opportunities/ the fact that it is a solid 10 ranks above BU but now you have me questioning. Can anyone give me some insight this decision making is so stressful!

similar boat except between GW and BC, so i'm curious to hear people's opinions too. I'm also interested in public interest. I visited GW for preview day and went in with a somewhat negative attitude, but left really really liking it so it's my top choice at the moment. One of the things I liked a lot is that due to its location, you can get a lot of the public interest internships that are typically super competitive over the summer but do them during the year for credit if it doesn't work out over the summer (or even if it does!). Can't hurt if you do a good job and they like you ;), eh? Also there are SO many networking opportunities available just by being in DC.

Downside: COL very expensive.

And I think GW is more mobile than BU/BC if you do well? Have yet to visit Boston, trying to decide if it's worth it to miss class and spend money to make the trip.

elm84dr

Postby elm84dr » Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:10 pm

GWU is probably 3rd or 4th in the DC area pecking order: UVA, Gtown, other Top 14, then GWU. BC/BU are pretty much first in their market (HLS kids go to NYC/D.C.).

GWU also has their numbers inflated because of their IP program, which sends a lot of students to firms, but if you are not IP you may strike out.

If you want to be in D.C. definitely, I think GWU is a better choice than BC/BU. However, I think if you are willing to be in Boston=BC/BU. If you want NYC, BU or GWU.

I do not think its worth being in Ithaca for three years, and taking on 200K in debt, at the very least, when you have these other options.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”