NYU / NU / Mich / Vandy / Bama (COA)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

NYU ($225k)
18%
NU ($225k)
2%
Mich ($170k)
10%
Vandy ($100k)
37%
Bama ($20k)
33%

Total votes: 51

sbma04

Postby sbma04 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:35 pm

COA = debt of attendance, includes some personal funds. 176/3.1, WE in banking. Strong ties in Alabama, want to work in Birmingham. Would also be happy with NYC or Chicago. I do not currently live in Alabama. Goal is to work for a large or medium sized law firm.

Other info: The plan was always 2 years WE then law school. I delayed a few years because legal hiring was melting down, but I really want to take a shot at this. I currently work a lot with lawyers and really enjoy and excel with that aspect of the job. With that said, I like working in finance and view transitioning back to finance as a strong plan B. A family friend (MP at a medium sized local law firm) who I consider to be a mentor is strongly encouraging me to go to UofA. Bama is appealing to me because it gives me a decent shot at a life that I want but introduces very little downside risk besides opportunity cost. Vandy improves my odds but is it worth $80k more if I know that I want to live in Alabama? My current thinking is that the T14 schools probably are not worth the cost since I am not set on working BigLaw in a major market.

Long time lurker, wanted to say that I am really thankful for all the advice and information I have gotten from this board! I have already thought about this deeply and discussed it with many folks. I still want to do an internet smell test to see if my thoughts are crazy. Thanks!

Presidentjlh

Re: NYU / NU / Mich / Vandy / Bama (COA)

Postby Presidentjlh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:41 pm

20k CoA would be a breeze to pay off. Since you have ties to Bama, and you want to work there, go to Bama.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:44 pm

I'd go to Vanderbilt. All the Bama "biglaw" firms recruit here at 1L and 2L OCI and they really try to recruit the people who have Bama ties pretty hard.

Vanderbilt gives you a much better shot at those jobs than UA (don't need to be ranked as high in the class)

$100k is pricey, yes, but with your ties to Bham and banking WE I'd definitely go to Vanderbilt

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:52 pm

Want to be in Bama + practically free degree = UA. The other schools give you better "backup" options in terms of placing in other markets, mainly NYC, but honestly the best backup of all is not having debt.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:56 pm

rad lulz wrote:I'd go to Vanderbilt. All the Bama "biglaw" firms recruit here at 1L and 2L OCI and they really try to recruit the people who have Bama ties pretty hard.

Vanderbilt gives you a much better shot at those jobs than UA (don't need to be ranked as high in the class)

$100k is pricey, yes, but with your ties to Bham and banking WE I'd definitely go to Vanderbilt

Agreed, vandy is the correct choice here.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:57 pm

This big Bama firms will give you looks if you're a little above median at Vandy. Can't say the same for UA.

Paul Campos

Postby Paul Campos » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:11 pm

sbma04 wrote:I like working in finance and view transitioning back to finance as a strong plan B

Giving up a career you like because you think you'll like being a lawyer more, with Plan B being going back to your original career, is just a terrible idea right now. If you're making a decent salary going to Alabama would mean incurring massive opportunity costs (the rest of these options are just preposterous on their face). Assuming you can "transition" back to what you were doing before if law school doesn't work out is extremely dangerous.

Your Plan B should be your Plan A.

sbma04

Postby sbma04 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:36 pm

Paul Campos wrote:
sbma04 wrote:I like working in finance and view transitioning back to finance as a strong plan B

Giving up a career you like because you think you'll like being a lawyer more, with Plan B being going back to your original career, is just a terrible idea right now. If you're making a decent salary going to Alabama would mean incurring massive opportunity costs (the rest of these options are just preposterous on their face). Assuming you can "transition" back to what you were doing before if law school doesn't work out is extremely dangerous.

Your Plan B should be your Plan A.

Thanks for the feedback. I hear you, and it is something that I think about. For me, its a question of career ceiling and aptitude. I do well in my current job because I work hard and care more than most. The analytical part of my work is similar to legal work, but it is more math based, whereas legal work is reading and writing based where I have much more of a natural inclination and aptitude.

Also, re: opportunity cost, lifetime earnings isn't everything. Missing out on my current salary will suck, but three years of the law school lifestyle sounds pretty sweet to me vs. being tied to my blackberry all day every day. Also, everybody I know in finance is going back to get their MBA, what is the difference here except that I will actually be learning something worthwhile? #MBAjab

FWIW, I have "standing offers" from three different groups that I have worked with. I realize that this means exactly nothing when it comes to getting a job in the future. But still, it does reflect how I am viewed around organization with respect to future employment ability.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:10 pm

Would say Michigan for everything except the "want to work in birmingham" part. That gives Vandy the heavy edge, hence my vote for Vandy

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:19 pm

It's between Vandy and Bama, with my presumption being Bama since it's 80k cheaper. 80k is a ton of money.

OP, you need to ask Vandy and Bama for the OCI cutoffs and recent summer hiring/callback data (by GPA) for Alabama firms. I don't share rad's optimism about how much Vandy helps on a firm-by-firm basis -- at least, not for an 80k price tag.

nickb285

Postby nickb285 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:45 pm

I would say Bama, since you want to work there I don't really see a point to paying $80k more for Vandy.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:54 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:It's between Vandy and Bama, with my presumption being Bama since it's 80k cheaper. 80k is a ton of money.

OP, you need to ask Vandy and Bama for the OCI cutoffs and recent summer hiring/callback data (by GPA) for Alabama firms. I don't share rad's optimism about how much Vandy helps on a firm-by-firm basis -- at least, not for an 80k price tag.

Vandy doesn't have that stuff (or they didn't at the beginning of this year). Frankly, the fact that they don't and you have to rely on me and JNSL is completely asinine.

jenesaislaw

Postby jenesaislaw » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:33 pm

I call BS on them. (And they at least have the OCI cutoff/expectations stuff.)

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:38 pm

jenesaislaw wrote:I call BS on them. (And they at least have the OCI cutoff/expectations stuff.)

If they have the real "cutoffs" based on years of data, they won't show you, which is also sublimely idiotic.

The firm stated cutoffs seem pretty BS and I wouldn't put to much weight on 'em (judging from my OCI experience).

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:05 pm

Vandy and 'Bama each place a similar percentage into lawyer jobs (~75-80%) and both would get OP a job in Alabama. OP's main benefit to going to Vandy seems to be an extra ~20% chance at Big/midlaw. If OP is Biglaw or bust, I can see an argument for Vandy.

But personally? I think $20k for the flagship school in the State OP wants to work in is an absolute steal. I say go to 'Bama and call it a day.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”