UT or Mich or Vandy or Others

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Aawaldrop

UT or Mich or Vandy or Others

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:53 am

Ties to Texas (born and raised in Dallas, stayed in state for UG)
Several options but deposit dates are looming even though some schools haven't made decisions yet.

Schools (COA)

Michigan (140k)
UT (85k)
Vanderbilt (90k)
GW (75k)
W&M (25k)
SMU (75k)

Pending
Duke
Penn
Cornell

Rejected by Berk
Waitlisted by UVa
Held at NU

Just looking for a fresh perspective on my options. I think I have some room to negotiate with UT but little leverage with Michigan.

Maybe pertinent information:
IP elligible (but Physics so not EE)
Goal is Biglaw (DC or TX)

rad lulz

Re: UT or Mich or Vandy or Others

Postby rad lulz » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:31 am

UT bc cost and Texas ties

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:32 am

rad lulz wrote:UT bc cost and Texas ties

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:58 am

Thanks for the input. I feel that I could get back to TX, but have a lot lower chance at DC from UT.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:04 am

That's true. But DC also won't be easy to get from Mich.

Since it seems like you'd be happy practicing in TX, the ~$60k lower cost at UT is TCR imo.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:08 am

Bronck wrote:That's true. But DC also won't be easy to get from Mich.

Since it seems like you'd be happy practicing in TX, the ~$60k lower cost at UT is TCR imo.

That makes sense with the $$ difference. Could it be possible to negotiate with UT (currently 12k/year) with Michigan (15k/year) and Vandy (30k/year) offer?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:13 am

Aawaldrop wrote:

That makes sense with the $$ difference. Could it be possible to negotiate with UT (currently 12k/year) with Michigan (15k/year) and Vandy (30k/year) offer?

You could always try, especially since Michigan's COA is so much higher for you than UT's. I personally know of several people who have tried negotiating with Vandy and have been completely stonewalled. Couldn't hurt, though.

I don't know much about legal hiring, but going to any of these schools hoping for DC doesn't sound too smart. It's probably better to maximize your more likely scenario of getting a job in Texas.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:17 am

Aawaldrop wrote:

UT matched UVA's 20K offer to me, even though I already had instate rate at UT, so it's definitely a chance they will up it. Keep in mind UT has a policy of only allowing students to submit stuff for matching once, but unless you think you'll be getting anything from the schools you are waiting to hear from right now, I would submit all your current scholarship offers to UT. (You can always try again, if schools you're waiting on give you money, but UT might be less likely to ignore their policy at that point.)

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:23 am

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:
Aawaldrop wrote:

UT matched UVA's 20K offer to me, even though I already had instate rate at UT, so it's definitely a chance they will up it. Keep in mind UT has a policy of only allowing students to submit stuff for matching once, but unless you think you'll be getting anything from the schools you are waiting to hear from right now, I would submit all your current scholarship offers to UT. (You can always try again, if schools you're waiting on give you money, but UT might be less likely to ignore their policy at that point.)

Thanks for the input. I'm a bit anxious about the "one time" consideration especially with the earlier deadlines. The biggest concern is GW but I don't think UT considers them as a peer school even though the scholarship is much more than their offer (40k/year).

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:25 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Aawaldrop wrote:

You could always try, especially since Michigan's COA is so much higher for you than UT's. I personally know of several people who have tried negotiating with Vandy and have been completely stonewalled. Couldn't hurt, though.

I don't know much about legal hiring, but going to any of these schools hoping for DC doesn't sound too smart. It's probably better to maximize your more likely scenario of getting a job in Texas.

I agree that planning for DC from Mich or UT isn't smart but the difference of placement in DC is 13% vs 4%. But that probably doesn't justify the big difference in COA.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:27 am

Aawaldrop wrote:
I agree that planning for DC from Mich or UT isn't smart but the difference of placement in DC is 13% vs 4%. But that probably doesn't justify the big difference in COA.

If you're absolutely gungho about DC, then why not GWU? Especially since you might like IP. I just think passing up UT for less than $100k and good ties would be a mistake. Have you lived in DC before?

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:33 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Aawaldrop wrote:

If you're absolutely gungho about DC, then why not GWU? Especially since you might like IP. I just think passing up UT for less than $100k and good ties would be a mistake. Have you lived in DC before?

GW is a little scary from some of the information about job placement but it is a definite consideration. I did get admitted to GULC but haven't heard anything about merit aid. Haven't lived in DC so that's also a detraction.

I'm with you on UT just want to pursue everything before making decisions.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:11 am

I agree that UT is TCR here. That's a great price for a solid school. Combined with your strong ties to Dallas, UT gives you a non-negligible chance of securing biglaw, as per your goals. I can't really see how any benefit would be obtained by going to Mich, and it will lock you into needing biglaw rather than desiring it.

If you are set on DC do GW because that price isn't bad, but recognize that you may have trouble bringing it back home. I think with your ties to Dallas it is a much smarter decision to just target TX in the first place and go to UT. Especially given that DC is a tough nut to crack.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:21 am

Agreed on just go to UT. If you do really well you can go to DC. In the likely event you don't do really well you still have a solid shot at a good job in Texas, even with average grades.

I am curious how you figured these COA figures. I have slightly higher scholarships to UT, Vandy, and Michigan but I figured my COA would be significantly higher than yours (although as people pointed out I was probably way too conservative with cost of living estimates). Do you have some personal funds or parental support that you're factoring into the equation or is this straight up total cost of attendance minus scholarships that you're basing the numbers on?

letsjustsee

Postby letsjustsee » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Last edited by letsjustsee on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aawaldrop

Postby Aawaldrop » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Thanks everyone. I guess I'm a little hesitant ending up at median at UT

BigZuck wrote:I am curious how you figured these COA figures. I have slightly higher scholarships to UT, Vandy, and Michigan but I figured my COA would be significantly higher than yours (although as people pointed out I was probably way too conservative with cost of living estimates). Do you have some personal funds or parental support that you're factoring into the equation or is this straight up total cost of attendance minus scholarships that you're basing the numbers on?

Extra funds and a little less conservative on COL.

letsjustsee wrote:Also, are you still considering the option of retaking? You have great options now, so no one could fault you for not retaking. I'm just throwing it out there because with a 4.0, if you could add about 3-5 points to your LSAT score and apply mid-October to early-November next cycle, you would have significantly better options.

Yes it is an option. For personal reasons I would have to retake in October. If I found a job where I could put some money away then it's a strong possibility.

katch

Postby katch » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Aawaldrop wrote:

My experience with UT scholarships was disappointing. To start with, their policy is only to factor in out of pocket tuition costs. The rough quote the Dean of Admissions gave me when I was in her office: "Show me people giving you $100,000, and I'm still cheaper." I had offers from peer schools giving me more than 120k-140k where even factoring in Texas' published cheaper COL still left UT more expensive. Also 20k a year at Michigan and now Berkeley as well. UT didn't amend their offer. When I met with the financial aid advisor at admitted students day two days ago she thought it was weird when I gave her my numbers, and told me I should write a personal letter to the dean to try again (even though I had already done the matching request).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”