9 schools to choose from...NE/NY area

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
xodaryll

9 schools to choose from...NE/NY area

Postby xodaryll » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:26 pm

I applied to 10 schools and have been accepted to 9, waiting on BC. I am semi-debt averse because I have ~70k in undergrad loans to think about as well. I ideally want to do Family and Juvenile Law. I know the schools really span the rankings, etc. This is what I have so far to consider:

1. BU, no scholarship info yet

2. UConn, no scholarship info yet. I could live at home in MA and commute ~25 min for no COL and hope that I get scholarships to make up for paying OOS tuition OR I could hope that I get enough scholarships to make getting an apartment in CT and getting in-state work.

3. Fordham, no scholarship info yet. Not really a NYC lover and high COL scares me.

4. Northeastern, $91k in merit scholarships, only stip is good academic standing.

5. Quinnipiac, $105k in merit scholarships, top half of class stip. Interviewing for a full or almost full scholarship in the beginning of April and will know on 4/10.

6. Suffolk University, no scholarship info yet.

7. University of Maine. Could live with family and have 0 COL but I only got 14k/yr in scholarships.

8. UNH. $30k/yr scholarships, preliminary admittance into their Honors Program, 3.0 or 3.2 stip.

9. Western New England...full scholarship, 5 minutes from my house= 0 debt.

Just looking for any thoughts/opinions!

Ramius

Re: 9 schools to choose from...NE/NY area

Postby Ramius » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:42 pm

Are you okay with low paying employment post graduation? Most of these schools have quite marginal employment statistics, which is all that should really matter to you. Of what I'm seeing, maybe NESL with the relaxed scholly stip?

Honestly they'd all scare the crap out of me. If you want to go into a practice of law not traditionally tailored toward high income (like family and juvenile law), you need to come out with as little debt as possible.

I'll get this out of the way now...can you retake and wait a year?

xodaryll

Postby xodaryll » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:53 pm

I guess I could wait a year but I'd rather not. I don't have much lined up and even though I said I could live at home for a few of these schools, my at-home situation isn't great so I'd like to avoid it if possible. Retaking would have me pretty much targeting only Y and H if I wanted to stay in New England and I don't know if I could make that jump, although I'm sure I could improve my LSAT by a least a few points, I'm not sure if it would be enough for Y/H.

thisiswater

Postby thisiswater » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:59 pm

xodaryll wrote:I guess I could wait a year but I'd rather not. I don't have much lined up and even though I said I could live at home for a few of these schools, my at-home situation isn't great so I'd like to avoid it if possible. Retaking would have me pretty much targeting only Y and H if I wanted to stay in New England and I don't know if I could make that jump, although I'm sure I could improve my LSAT by a least a few points, I'm not sure if it would be enough for Y/H.

If you're talkin YH what are your numbers?

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:06 pm

xodaryll wrote:I guess I could wait a year but I'd rather not. I don't have much lined up and even though I said I could live at home for a few of these schools, my at-home situation isn't great so I'd like to avoid it if possible. Retaking would have me pretty much targeting only Y and H if I wanted to stay in New England and I don't know if I could make that jump, although I'm sure I could improve my LSAT by a least a few points, I'm not sure if it would be enough for Y/H.

Don't be foolish. If these schools were your targets in this cycle, but you have potential for the best schools in the country (i.e. GPA that qualifies and interesting background to qualify), why not give it a shot? Would you rather go to NESL this year or have the potential to go to HARVARD next year? Jesus, that doesn't even seem funny.

If you think you can do better, always do it. Or at least give it a try.

xodaryll

Postby xodaryll » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:07 pm

I have a 162/3.91 so that's why I said I'm not sure if I could make a 10+ point jump to be viable at YH.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:10 pm

xodaryll wrote:I have a 162/3.91 so that's why I said I'm not sure if I could make a 10+ point jump to be viable at YH.

Jesus, please RETAKE!!! Even if they rejected you when you get a high 160's/low 170's at YH, you could look at Columbia or NYU with solid money, which is an endlessly better happy ending than anything you've listed.

thisiswater

Postby thisiswater » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:13 pm

xodaryll wrote:I have a 162/3.91 so that's why I said I'm not sure if I could make a 10+ point jump to be viable at YH.

retake. seriously retake. do not throw away that gpa on nesl or western new england

xodaryll

Postby xodaryll » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:15 pm

When you guys say NESL are you referring to New England School of Law or Northeastern? Because I only applied to the latter.

Ramius

Postby Ramius » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:21 pm

xodaryll wrote:When you guys say NESL are you referring to New England School of Law or Northeastern? Because I only applied to the latter.

My apologies, I morphed two shitty law schools into one. Seriously, you deserve better than any of the schools you listed. Retake and give it another try next year. You could even study your ass off, retake in June and approach again in October if you aren't happy with the result. Don't let that HYS GPA go to waste on a school with incredibly marginal employment statistics.

At the minimum, improve your LSAT by ~4 pts or so and reap the benefits of a seriously discounted education at schools like BU and BC. It really won't be that hard.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:51 am

Retaking is almost always the right move for someone like you, with a high GPA and relatively low LSAT; the benefit to a relatively small investment of time and energy can be enormous if you got that score even up to the upper 160s.

What kind of family law do you want to do? I'm not sure there is a whole lot of benefit to going to a Harvard-level school if you want to go do divorces and stuff. Even so, there is no reason you should be paying anything to go to a school like UConn with that GPA, so retake and either go to a top school or get a full ride.

thethe

Postby thethe » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:50 am

I was in your situation. But you need to also be cognicient of the fact law school sucks. It will be worse than what you have now, and it's only worth it if it leads immediately to a good job. There's a temptation to run from a life you don't want. But these schools may not get you what you want. This is the decision that will impact your career for the next 19 years.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”