When is a full ride worth it?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
superhopefulwoo
Posts: 181
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:40 pm

Re: When is a full ride worth it?

Postby superhopefulwoo » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:41 pm

matthewsean85 wrote:That is a much more fair question, albeit more individualized and less relevant for the masses. My personal preference is that I would not undertake a law school career with $0 debt for anything less than a T20 in the region I want to end up, and even then it's suspect. I have other options I'm willing to explore and am willing to leave it all on the table.

I'll stop being confrontational altogether here and say that, regardless of region, the top 1-2 schools in a given region would be potentially worth it in that region. In a place like California, you can even exclude Stanford, UCB, UCLA and USC and find 1-2 schools worth the free education.

As to other regions, you look at UF & FSU, BU & BC, etc., they all have marginally decent options in the region, particularly at zero cost.

Still, regardless of confrontation, all I ask is that anyone looking at this thread understands that they need to make honest decisions about their circumstance and move from there. Debt is more scary to deal with than the average 22 year old might be able to deal with.

Edit: as much as you like listing my first name, why does it seem like you're pointing a giant foam finger at me? I don't think I'm trying particularly hard to hide my identity, so these references to my name seem useless. Not trying to be confrontational, just noticed a trend.


I think I agree with you on all fronts. My bad on the name use - I wasn't even trying to use it that much, but I just reread my posts and realized I capitalized you because I was trying to address the question at you. Sorry if it sounded confrontational!! I think another reason why I was asking about regional schools being worth it or not is because from my understanding, some states just don't really have a demand for lawyers. While California is over saturated, I think it is safe to say there are tons of positions available (just not for the insanely high number of law school graduates). On the other hand, would Idaho have a market at all? And in that respect, I wonder if Philly or Seattle have a strong market personally. I know that Hawaii does not even have a strong market in the first place. That is why out of 80 students, only 40 or less on average are able to get a decent full time JD required position. The island is just simply too small to provide jobs to all of their candidates, no matter how qualified. Throw in HYS grads who want to live in Hawaii, and you've got a really tough market.

User avatar
Ramius
Posts: 2005
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:39 am

Re: When is a full ride worth it?

Postby Ramius » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:54 pm

superhopefulwoo wrote:
matthewsean85 wrote:That is a much more fair question, albeit more individualized and less relevant for the masses. My personal preference is that I would not undertake a law school career with $0 debt for anything less than a T20 in the region I want to end up, and even then it's suspect. I have other options I'm willing to explore and am willing to leave it all on the table.

I'll stop being confrontational altogether here and say that, regardless of region, the top 1-2 schools in a given region would be potentially worth it in that region. In a place like California, you can even exclude Stanford, UCB, UCLA and USC and find 1-2 schools worth the free education.

As to other regions, you look at UF & FSU, BU & BC, etc., they all have marginally decent options in the region, particularly at zero cost.

Still, regardless of confrontation, all I ask is that anyone looking at this thread understands that they need to make honest decisions about their circumstance and move from there. Debt is more scary to deal with than the average 22 year old might be able to deal with.

Edit: as much as you like listing my first name, why does it seem like you're pointing a giant foam finger at me? I don't think I'm trying particularly hard to hide my identity, so these references to my name seem useless. Not trying to be confrontational, just noticed a trend.


I think I agree with you on all fronts. My bad on the name use - I wasn't even trying to use it that much, but I just reread my posts and realized I capitalized you because I was trying to address the question at you. Sorry if it sounded confrontational!! I think another reason why I was asking about regional schools being worth it or not is because from my understanding, some states just don't really have a demand for lawyers. While California is over saturated, I think it is safe to say there are tons of positions available (just not for the insanely high number of law school graduates). On the other hand, would Idaho have a market at all? And in that respect, I wonder if Philly or Seattle have a strong market personally. I know that Hawaii does not even have a strong market in the first place. That is why out of 80 students, only 40 or less on average are able to get a decent full time JD required position. The island is just simply too small to provide jobs to all of their candidates, no matter how qualified. Throw in HYS grads who want to live in Hawaii, and you've got a really tough market.


Again, not trying to fight you on this, but how does LST not provide this sort of information? It seems that any given location can be easily researched regarding the percent of a class that ends up in a given region from the graduating class, which, self-selection bias aside, relates to how well the class places in their region?

I'm not trying to call "confirmation bias!" from the outright here, but I guess I'm curious what information you're failing to get from a place like LST that compiles NALP and ABA data and determines employment prospects for the vast majority of schools?

User avatar
MarcusAurelius
Posts: 155
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: When is a full ride worth it?

Postby MarcusAurelius » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:09 am

Rutgers camden

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: When is a full ride worth it?

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:40 am

nebula666 wrote:
CA: Obviously UCLA/USC but also Loyola, Pepperdine, Davis, Hastings, Irvine

PA: Penn State, Pitt, Temple, Villanova

WA: UW, Gonzaga

With a 100% scholarship, no or reasonable stips, and a desire to work in these SPECIFIC markets, all of these are at least decent options.



UC Irvine is not worth going to, not even with a full ride scholly

What is wrong with you

nebula666
Posts: 780
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Re: When is a full ride worth it?

Postby nebula666 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:06 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
nebula666 wrote:
CA: Obviously UCLA/USC but also Loyola, Pepperdine, Davis, Hastings, Irvine

PA: Penn State, Pitt, Temple, Villanova

WA: UW, Gonzaga

With a 100% scholarship, no or reasonable stips, and a desire to work in these SPECIFIC markets, all of these are at least decent options.



UC Irvine is not worth going to, not even with a full ride scholly

What is wrong with you


Maybe so but it's still better than at least 5 other schools in CA. A few years of data will help inform that decision but if you have a full ride at Irvine, you have a full ride at another school on the list anyway.

User avatar
Dr. Dre
Posts: 2347
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: When is a full ride worth it?

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:58 pm

JUst because UC Irvine is better than at least 5 schools in california does not strengthen the contention that one ought to take a full scholly from that putrid of a law school.

Hutz_and_Goodman
Posts: 1413
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:42 am

Re: When is a full ride worth it?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:01 pm

It's all relative. If you can get in to HYS, then I would choose a full ride at a T14 over all of those except maybe Y. I wouldn't go anywhere outside of the T14 in that situation. If you can get into a T14 with a little bit of money (still $100k in educational debt plus cost of living) then I would choose a full ride at a top regional in a region where you want to practice over that. I wouldn't go anywhere out of the top 50 or so schools in that situation.

I did the latter route (full ride at regional) and am a big proponent of that choice as opposed to huge debt at the T14.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: When is a full ride worth it?

Postby Crowing » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:16 pm

For me personally as a MO resident, a full-ride at Mizzou or WUSTL would probably be worth it from a purely financial standpoint. I probably would not attend either of the other two schools in my state (SLU, UMKC) even for free.

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: When is a full ride worth it?

Postby star fox » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:43 pm

T50 in an area you have ties and would want to work, imo.

User avatar
Varys
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:28 am

Re: When is a full ride worth it?

Postby Varys » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:36 pm

It's already been mentioned, but it depends on so many factors. You just need to really take a look at yourself and honestly identify what your career goals will be. This will answer whether or not a specific school is worth it or not for you with a full ride.

alex.feuerman
Posts: 147
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Re: When is a full ride worth it?

Postby alex.feuerman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:50 pm

I think if you want NYC market, Fordham. but only if you want NYC.

User avatar
Crowing
Posts: 2636
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:20 pm

Re: When is a full ride worth it?

Postby Crowing » Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:53 pm

john7234797 wrote:T50 in an area you have ties and would want to work, imo.


I don't see why this designation matters at all. Rankings are worthless after the T14.

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13680
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: When is a full ride worth it?

Postby star fox » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:03 pm

Crowing wrote:
john7234797 wrote:T50 in an area you have ties and would want to work, imo.


I don't see why this designation matters at all. Rankings are worthless after the T14.


I don't mean it literally through to the US News Rankings. Just more of an "in general" kind of thing. Most of the "US News T50" places better than than the TT/TTT. Obviously if the "T50" in question doesn't then it should not be considered.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest