Choosing between BU / BC / W&L / Fordham / Emory Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

So, which is my best option?

W&L - 40K/year
23%
BC - 26K/year
46%
Emory - 26K/year
10%
Fordham - 25K/year
15%
BU - 15K/year
6%

Total votes: 48

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Re: Choosing between BU / BC / W&L / Fordham / Emory

Post by WanderingPondering » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:46 pm

BigZuck wrote:
WanderingPondering wrote:
Homelandsagreatshow wrote:By not doing it you're literally risking the REST of your life.. Can you comprehend that?
So this is where TLS has gone batshit crazy. He's looking at schools, all at a discount, ranked in the low 20s. Its not like Grown at sticker is going to be a way better option than BC or W&L with money.

If you're OK with the south in general, take W&L. If you're OK with Bawstawn take BC. If you have some ties to Atl, take Emory. I wouldn't do any of these expecting DC or NYC.
I think Georgetown at sticker would probably the worst option out of all these. But that doesn't make any of them good options.

Also, data to back up your advice on W&L? Exactly how many W&L grads found work in Texas last year? Georgia? Mississippi?
How many W&L do you think wanted to find work in Mississippi last year? And, I need to clarify, I don't consider Texas part of "the south". If you want to work in Texas, you should go to school in Texas.

If OP wouldn't mind working in VA or NC or TN or SC or MD, I think W&L would be a fine choice. Especially if he is OK working at a small law firm. Thinking you're getting DC big law from W&L is crazy. But with nearly full tuition scholarship, OP doesn't need to biglaw gun or bust.

Obviously, just 1 more point might put Cornell into play. With that solid GPA, I'd consider retaking. But let's not act like he's choosing between a Sirloin and chicken feed.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:57 pm

szb5058 wrote:Didn't mean to offend you by saying you were preaching but its just a fact that TLS loves to tell people to retake. And it's not a no risk opportunity, I'd have to wait until the following year to go to law school haha I'm risking a year of my life. That's not nothing.
TLS tells people to retake when it is good advice. And it's good advice here, too. Also, you wouldn't have to sit out an entire year. If you sit for June and improve your score, you can contact your current schools and negotiate for higher scholarships. Think about the time:benefit ratio to that! Let's pretend you study one hour per day, five days per week from now until June, and you take one more practice test (let's say 50 hours total study time). If you improve even 3 points - which your LSAT score band says you should be capable of right now - your numbers are competitive for the lower T14. Or, like I said, you can negotiate with your current options - three points on the LSAT is worth tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship money. If you got an additional $10k per year, you just got $30,000 for 50 hours of work. Think of it as getting paid roughly $600 / hr to do some logic puzzles.

There's really no reason not to retake in June except for sheer laziness.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:00 pm

I would say that I bet the 40ish percent of W&L students who are unemployed would love to have a job in Mississippi but we all know that would be wrong because nobody in their right mind would want to live in Mississippi, AMIRITE???

But seriously though, I think that's a dangerous thing to say without any evidence to back it up.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:02 pm

BlueJeanBaby wrote:
szb5058 wrote:Those are scholarship amounts
Figure out your total COA at each school. It is much easier to compare choices when you know exactly how much debt each one would put you in.
OP, do this. How much debt will you be in after 3 years, including tuition increases and interest? Don't make us do your math for you.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=206299

szb5058

New

Post by szb5058 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:40 pm

romothesavior wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:
Figure out your total COA at each school. It is much easier to compare choices when you know exactly how much debt each one would put you in.
OP, do this. How much debt will you be in after 3 years, including tuition increases and interest? Don't make us do your math for you.

COA minus Scholarship:

BU: 144K
BC: 111K
FU: 153K
Emory: 135K
W&L: 69K

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BostonLove

New

Post by BostonLove » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:29 am

You can definitely negotiate some of those scholarships. For example, if BC gave you $26k/year, BU will most likely match. You can then go back and forth and probably get them both up to 28 or 30 (depending on your numbers and incoming class makeup). No matter where you most want to go, I'd highly recommend negotiating scholarships and saving yourself some money.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:40 am

szb5058 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
BlueJeanBaby wrote:

COA minus Scholarship:

BU: 144K
BC: 111K
FU: 153K
Emory: 135K
W&L: 69K
If you're ok living in Virginia (not DC), go to W&L.
Otherwise, if you think you'll be happy in boston, go to BC.

szb5058

New

Post by szb5058 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:30 am

I'm actually currently in the negotiating process. Got BC and FU up from their initial offers of 20K. My second round of negotiation letters will go out sometime towards the end of next week. Really appreciate everyone (most peoples :wink: ) advice.

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:47 am

boston, ny, philly,
W&L is not much of an option for any of these three.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BostonLove

New

Post by BostonLove » Sun Mar 24, 2013 3:45 pm

szb5058 wrote:I'm actually currently in the negotiating process. Got BC and FU up from their initial offers of 20K. My second round of negotiation letters will go out sometime towards the end of next week. Really appreciate everyone (most peoples :wink: ) advice.
Good! You have a decent chance of getting BU and BC to match each other/try to surpass each other, so I would guess that the BU scholarship will go up as well once they learn of the new BC offer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”