Choosing between BU / BC / W&L / Fordham / Emory Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

So, which is my best option?

W&L - 40K/year
23%
BC - 26K/year
46%
Emory - 26K/year
10%
Fordham - 25K/year
15%
BU - 15K/year
6%

Total votes: 48

szb5058

New

Choosing between BU / BC / W&L / Fordham / Emory

Post by szb5058 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:12 pm

I'm not set on big law, i really don't know what i want to do yet, but i do know that i want to have the option of living in one of the following cities: boston, ny, philly, or dc

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Re: Choosing between BU / BC / W&L / Fordham / Emory

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:15 pm

Are the figures posted the amount of your scholarships or how much it will cost you per year? How much will each school cost you over the course of all three years?

szb5058

New

Post by szb5058 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Those are scholarship amounts

BlueJeanBaby

Silver

Post by BlueJeanBaby » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:17 pm

szb5058 wrote:Those are scholarship amounts
Figure out your total COA at each school. It is much easier to compare choices when you know exactly how much debt each one would put you in.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Also where are you from?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

szb5058

New

Post by szb5058 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:55 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Also where are you from?
I'm from New Jersey

jeffgarlin

New

Post by jeffgarlin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:03 pm

what were your numbers?

szb5058

New

Post by szb5058 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:15 pm

jeffgarlin wrote:what were your numbers?
166/3.70 from a large state university.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:28 pm

szb5058 wrote:
I'm from New Jersey
This knocks off W&L and Emory. However, the remaining schools are too expensive. I guess if you have to BC but I'd retake. Two or three points and you're in T14 territory.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

szb5058

New

Post by szb5058 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:39 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
szb5058 wrote:
I'm from New Jersey
This knocks off W&L and Emory. However, the remaining schools are too expensive. I guess if you have to BC but I'd retake. Two or three points and you're in T14 territory.
I'm definitely not retaking and I don't know why being from Jersey would knock off W&L or Emory. W&L has obvious ties to DC, a city I would love to live in, and Emory has strong ties to NYC, another city that would be great

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:42 pm

szb5058 wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
szb5058 wrote:
I'm from New Jersey
I'm definitely not retaking and I don't know why being from Jersey would knock off W&L or Emory. W&L has obvious ties to DC, a city I would love to live in, and Emory has strong ties to NYC, another city that would be great
Okay, let's break it down youngin': DC is the most saturated market in the country with T14 students flocking there. Chances are you won't find employment in DC going to W&L. Harsh truth my friend. Go to W&L if you want to work in Richmond or Roanoke or Norfolk or whatever.

Now for Emory. NYC is possible but you'll have to be top 5%, maybe top 10%. That's a pipe dream. Possible again, but 90%+ unlikely.

I recommend you retake and cross those 2 options off your list. BU isn't offering enough, neither is Fordham. BC maybe. IF you have a gun to your head and the person holding that gun is Jigsaw, then go to BC. Otherwise retake, sack up dude.

PRgradBYU

Silver

Post by PRgradBYU » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:04 pm

szb5058 wrote:I'm not set on big law, i really don't know what i want to do yet, but i do know that i want to have the option of living in one of the following cities: boston, ny, philly, or dc
I swear I'm not trying to be a dick, but when people ask you why you want to go to law school, what do you tell them?

Edit: Added emphasis

szb5058

New

Post by szb5058 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:08 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:
szb5058 wrote:I'm not set on big law, i really don't know what i want to do yet, but i do know that i want to have the option of living in one of the following cities: boston, ny, philly, or dc
I swear I'm not trying to be a dick, but when people ask you why you want to go to law school, what do you tell them?

lol it soundddds like you you're trying to be a dick. I tell them that I think I'll enjoy being a lawyer, while doing something interesting and worth while at the same time. I'm interested in it, and I think it's something I'll enjoy doing for a long time. Plus, obviously, I hope to make a living doing it. It's like any other profession. When you ask an aspiring business man why he wants to be a business man I'd hope to get the same response. If I didn't he probably wouldn't be a great business man.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

szb5058

New

Post by szb5058 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:44 pm

This knocks off W&L and Emory. However, the remaining schools are too expensive. I guess if you have to BC but I'd retake. Two or three points and you're in T14 territory.[/quote]

I'm definitely not retaking and I don't know why being from Jersey would knock off W&L or Emory. W&L has obvious ties to DC, a city I would love to live in, and Emory has strong ties to NYC, another city that would be great[/quote]

Okay, let's break it down youngin': DC is the most saturated market in the country with T14 students flocking there. Chances are you won't find employment in DC going to W&L. Harsh truth my friend. Go to W&L if you want to work in Richmond or Roanoke or Norfolk or whatever.

Now for Emory. NYC is possible but you'll have to be top 5%, maybe top 10%. That's a pipe dream. Possible again, but 90%+ unlikely.

I recommend you retake and cross those 2 options off your list. BU isn't offering enough, neither is Fordham. BC maybe. IF you have a gun to your head and the person holding that gun is Jigsaw, then go to BC. Otherwise retake, sack up dude.[/quote]

Again, not retaking. Studied a shit load for that exam and I ended up scoring exactly what I was PTing...166. That's the top score I'm going to get.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:17 pm

szb5058 wrote:
PRgradBYU wrote:

lol it soundddds like you you're trying to be a dick. I tell them that I think I'll enjoy being a lawyer, while doing something interesting and worth while at the same time. I'm interested in it, and I think it's something I'll enjoy doing for a long time. Plus, obviously, I hope to make a living doing it. It's like any other profession. When you ask an aspiring business man why he wants to be a business man I'd hope to get the same response. If I didn't he probably wouldn't be a great business man.
He wasn't trying to be a dick. It just doesn't sound like you really know why you are going to law school, or what it is like working as a lawyer. Have you ever worked in a law firm? Shadowed someone? Read blogs or forums frequented by current and former students? These are all good things to do, because the practice of law isn't anything like what most people think it is (i.e., Suits).

I mean, your post doesn't identify one qualitative detail specific to the practice of law. I could replace "being a _____" with any profession in your post, and it would still make sense.
lol it soundddds like you you're trying to be a dick. I tell them that I think I'll enjoy being a lawyer, farmer, / doctor / garbageman / etc.,while doing something interesting and worth while at the same time. I'm interested in it, and I think it's something I'll enjoy doing for a long time. Plus, obviously, I hope to make a living doing it. It's like any other profession. When you ask an aspiring business man why he wants to be a business man I'd hope to get the same response. If I didn't he probably wouldn't be a great business man.
The point is, it doesn't really sound like you have thought this decision through.

As for the schools you are considering, the statistics suggest that getting DC from W&L (3% of C/O 2011) or NYC from Emory (10.7% C/O 2011) are both very unlikely propositions. Both markets are heavily saturated, and it would be unwise to assume will perform at the top of your class. Assume you graduate around median (a statistically likely scenario). Would you be happy with your job prospects?

BU and Fordham are way too expensive at those prices. If you have to go, do BC because it's the least crazy option. But honestly, your GPA is solid. You should give serious consideration to retaking. You would have better (T14) options, and bigger scholarships at your current schools, and all you have to do is sit for June. You can improve - there's still time, and you got a 166, that shows you at least mastered the fundamentals. I plateaued out around 166 as well, but managed to break through and score a few points higher.

Seriously, give retaking a thought. Look at it this way: schools don't really average scores, so you have nothing to lose. So if you start practicing right now, you can still sit for June with no downside. If you do the same or worse, oh well, you've got these options in the bag. But if you do better, you could be looking at tens (possibly hundreds) of thousands of dollars knocked off tuition. Isn't that worth your time?

szb5058

New

Post by szb5058 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:39 pm

Ok, again, not going to retake. I have thought about being a lawyer for over four years now. I'm a recent college grad, in the middle of my year off, working to save up a little $$, and I am not delusional about What It's Like To Be a Lawyer i.e. not like suits. I am absolutely sure I want to be a lawyer. I'm a business law minor, frequent law blogs, etc. so this isn't like a backup plan for me, it's what I want to do.

As for your statistics, they are slightly flawed. By throwing out those numbers you're assuming that all students at those schools were TRYING to get to those cities but couldn't find jobs there. More likely, most people going to Emory want to stay in the South. Theoretically only 10percent of their student body tried to get to NY and all of them were able to do so. I know that's an exaggeration but I hope you can see where I'm going with this.

Regardless, I understand your point, I'm just saying that I'm not going to retake, and these are my options. I know TLS loves to preach retake but I'm just not going to.

goldeneye

Silver

Post by goldeneye » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:42 pm

szb5058 wrote:Ok, again, not going to retake. I have thought about being a lawyer for over four years now. I'm a recent college grad, in the middle of my year off, working to save up a little $$, and I am not delusional about what it's like to be a lawyer i.e. not like suits. I am absolutely sure I want to be a lawyer. I'm a business law minor, frequent law blogs, etc. so this isn't like a backup plan for me, it's what I want to do.

As for your statistics, they are slightly flawed. By throwing out those numbers you're assuming that all students at those schools were TRYING to get to those cities but couldn't find jobs there. More likely, most people going to Emory want to stay in the South. Theoretically only 10percent of their student body tried to get to NY and all of them were able to do so. I know that's an exaggeration but I hope you can see where I'm going with this.

Regardless, I understand your point, I'm just saying that I'm not going to retake, and these are my options. I know TLS loves to preach retake but I'm just not going to.
I can tell you for a fact that it doesn't matter that they self-selected to New York. you're going to need to finish in the top 10% likely to even have a chance at big firms there. You really should retake so you get more money and then can survive with less debt when you graduate with no job

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:46 pm

szb5058 wrote:Ok, again, not going to retake. I have thought about being a lawyer for over four years now. I'm a recent college grad, in the middle of my year off, working to save up a little $$, and I am not delusional about what it's like to be a lawyer i.e. not like suits. I am absolutely sure I want to be a lawyer. I'm a business law minor, frequent law blogs, etc. so this isn't like a backup plan for me, it's what I want to do.

i leave you with one thought:

shitlaw LOOMS

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:50 pm

Ok, that's fine, but why? You still haven't said why you want to be a lawyer other than because you want to be one. Do you know what kind of law you want to practice, or even what practice areas exist? Have you ever stepped foot in a real law firm?
I get your point, but I was only responding to your assertion that W&L had "obvious" ties to DC and Emory had "strong" ties to NYC. Self-selection no doubt plays a role, but do not underestimate how exceedingly unlikely it is you will break into either market.
That's a shame. I'm disappointed that you would write off my post as "TLS preaching"; I feel it's just common sense advice. I also don't see why you won't consider sitting for June. Even if you don't study one bit, you don't have anything to lose and you stand to gain a lot. It just seems like you're throwing away easy money. When you're writing your student loan checks for the next 25 years, I hope you remember that you passed up this no-risk opportunity to save thousands of dollars.

szb5058

New

Post by szb5058 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:06 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Ok, that's fine, but why? You still haven't said why you want to be a lawyer other than because you want to be one. Do you know what kind of law you want to practice, or even what practice areas exist? Have you ever stepped foot in a real law firm?
I get your point, but I was only responding to your assertion that W&L had "obvious" ties to DC and Emory had "strong" ties to NYC. Self-selection no doubt plays a role, but do not underestimate how exceedingly unlikely it is you will break into either market.
That's a shame. I'm disappointed that you would write off my post as "TLS preaching"; I feel it's just common sense advice. I also don't see why you won't consider sitting for June. Even if you don't study one bit, you don't have anything to lose and you stand to gain a lot. It just seems like you're throwing away easy money. When you're writing your student loan checks for the next 25 years, I hope you remember that you passed up this no-risk opportunity to save thousands of dollars.
Didn't mean to offend you by saying you were preaching but its just a fact that TLS loves to tell people to retake. And it's not a no risk opportunity, I'd have to wait until the following year to go to law school haha I'm risking a year of my life. That's not nothing.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:09 pm

If your goal is to live in one of these cities then you should just move to one of them and get an entry level job. The idea that a diploma from a second tier school is going to give you many options is wishful thinking. If you can't find an entry level job now then your law degree isn't going to be of much assistance.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Homelandsagreatshow

Bronze

Post by Homelandsagreatshow » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:10 pm

By not doing it you're literally risking the REST of your life.. Can you comprehend that?

WanderingPondering

Bronze

Post by WanderingPondering » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Homelandsagreatshow wrote:By not doing it you're literally risking the REST of your life.. Can you comprehend that?
So this is where TLS has gone batshit crazy. He's looking at schools, all at a discount, ranked in the low 20s. Its not like Grown at sticker is going to be a way better option than BC or W&L with money.

If you're OK with the south in general, take W&L. If you're OK with Bawstawn take BC. If you have some ties to Atl, take Emory. I wouldn't do any of these expecting DC or NYC.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:32 pm

I bet a good chunk of the 40ish percent of Emory's class that is unemployed would love to work in NY. I doubt they are self-selecting out of working as a lawyer in NY to be living in their parents basement in Atlanta.

OP, I have a question: Why do you think TLS likes to tell people to retake? Also you never answered Rick's question: why do you want to be a lawyer?

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:36 pm

WanderingPondering wrote:
Homelandsagreatshow wrote:By not doing it you're literally risking the REST of your life.. Can you comprehend that?
So this is where TLS has gone batshit crazy. He's looking at schools, all at a discount, ranked in the low 20s. Its not like Grown at sticker is going to be a way better option than BC or W&L with money.

If you're OK with the south in general, take W&L. If you're OK with Bawstawn take BC. If you have some ties to Atl, take Emory. I wouldn't do any of these expecting DC or NYC.
I think Georgetown at sticker would probably the worst option out of all these. But that doesn't make any of them good options.

Also, data to back up your advice on W&L? Exactly how many W&L grads found work in Texas last year? Georgia? Mississippi?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”