BLS v. Uconn v. Penn State v. Cardozo

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
shredmeister

BLS v. Uconn v. Penn State v. Cardozo

Postby shredmeister » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:46 am

First of all, I'm ignoring the "retake" trolls. I have a 159 (seriously, I'm not considering retaking, please don't troll) and 3.9 GPA summa cum laude from a top SUNY school. Interested in both, IP Law (no technical background, though I don't desire to prosecute patents) and ADR. Those who know me know that I'm destined to be a mediator/arbitrator- but I want to make enough money to pay off law school debt as well.

Offers are as follows:

BLS 41k/yr (maintain top 80% of class) I'd LOVE to live in Brooklyn Heights, but I'm not so confident in the school's job prospects especially since it fell to #80 in the US News ranking this year and the school is selling 6/8 brownstone apartment buildings (is it in decline?) The people I would meet just by being in Brooklyn and near NYC would surely leave me with a stronger network than any other school.

PSU 35k/yr (maintain 2.75 gpa), despite its low tuition (4k a year for me) and its improving national ranking (went from 78 to 64 this year), I'm worried about the location when it comes to job placement. 40% find employment in PA, but I have minimal interest in Philly/Pitt and I don't know where else I would make big money in PA (didnt even apply to Temple or Pitt).

UConn hasnt offered me a scholly yet, but I'm confident they will (I told them about the above 2 offers, as well as 10k/yr at Ohio State Moritz and full tuition at St. Johns/Hofstra). If they don't, I won't go. If they offer substantial scholly, it is my top choice. I visited, I loved it. I love the idea of CT because of its versatility (NYC, DC, Boston) and Uconn alum are highly respected and well networked throughout the entire state. Not 100% sold on Hartford just yet, so, again, the money needs to make A LOT of sense.

Finally, Cardozo. top 10 in IP, top 10 in ADR, AND IN NYC. no better fit for me. Had a phone interview and killleddd it, still waiting for admission though (95% sure I'll get in). Again, I'm not considering unless I get substantial money; 50k/yr is unreasonable when BLS is 9k.

I'm a New York resident; not necessarily looking to stay in NY but I'm pretty sure I would like to stay in the northeast... If Emory accepts me, I may need to reconsider, but otherwise, NE it is.

All helpful opinions welcomed. Is BLS new ranking at #80 a dealbreaker? Is PSU on the rise for real? Where do PSU grads find jobs? Is Hartford, Connecticut a good place to spend my next 3 years?

californiauser

Re: BLS v. Uconn v. Penn State v. Cardozo

Postby californiauser » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:56 am

shredmeister wrote: I have a 159 (seriously, I'm not considering retaking, please don't troll) and 3.9 GPA summa cum laude

Offers are as follows:

BLS 41k/yr (maintain top 80% of class) I'd LOVE to live in Brooklyn Heights, but I'm not so confident in the school's job prospects especially since it fell to #80 in the US News ranking this year and the school is selling 6/8 brownstone apartment buildings (is it in decline?) The people I would meet just by being in Brooklyn and near NYC would surely leave me with a stronger network than any other school.

Flame. You jumped the shark with the bolded bit.

If not flame, retake regardless of the situation.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:37 am

This attitude is infuriating. You want advice, but only the advice you want to hear.

How many times have you taken the LSAT? If its not at least 3, you have to retake. These are all bad options, regardless if bls's ranking goes from 70 to 80 or 60. No one cares.

But yeah, let's talk about Penn state's improving national reputation.

You're not getting IP without serious technical skills. You're just interested? I'm interested in being a NASA engineer, but I haven't taken physics. I don't think they're going to hire me.

You want a good job that services debt? Well, PSU put less than 10% of their class into firms with 100+ and federal clerkships. UCONN - 10%

This all adds up to being a bad troll, a clueless applicant, or an entitled kid.

If you study, get your score up you can go to HYS or T14s with $$$. Even if you only improve a few points, UVA ED is an option.

Harvard puts like 75% of their class into those same positions.

Think about it.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:40 am

(assumes people saying "retake" are trolling)

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 am

shredmeister wrote:

All helpful opinions welcomed. Is BLS new ranking at #80 a dealbreaker? Is PSU on the rise for real? Where do PSU grads find jobs? Is Hartford, Connecticut a good place to spend my next 3 years?

Is BLS new ranking at #80 a dealbreaker?
No, they're job prospects are the deal breaker

Is PSU on the rise for real?
No

Where do PSU grads find jobs?
In the NFL

Is Hartford, Connecticut a good place to spend my next 3 years?
Only if you are working for The Hartford or Metlife

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:58 am

Which SUNY?

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:35 am

You have an HYS GPA.

Attending law school with a 3.9/159 is leaving too much on the table.

PDaddy

Postby PDaddy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:28 am

RETAKE!!!

I know OP doesn't want to hear that chorus, but he is literally throwing away money - potentially several hundreds of thousands of dollars (read: a couple of million$) over the next 10-35 years - by refusing to put in the work needed to get into a top-10 school, maybe even HYS if that LSAT climbs above 170.

jvincent11

Postby jvincent11 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:51 am

Don't post on this forum if you don't want to hear people say retake. I have a 3.9 and also didn't want to hear it, but my retake (after another month of taking many many practice tests) got me full scholarships at schools I previously considered reaches.

With a 159, even 1 point can make a HUGE, 2 points forget it

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:01 am

Do not discount my opinion because of what I am about to say: You need to retake, and do some more research about the legal industry. I assure you I am not a troll, I am trying to give you the advice that you asked for.

Firstly, look at the employment data from these schools.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=uconn&show=chars

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school= ... show=chars

None of your options give you more than roughly a coin-flip chance at securing full-time legal work. Penn State gives you the best chance at employment overall at about 60%, but you will face lots of trouble bringing it back to NYC, and you have no interest in Philly or Pitt. More likely than not, you will end up working in Harrisburg or one of the small towns surrounding State College. I've been through that area, and it's pretty boring - I would make sure I'm ok with living there for the foreseeable future.

UConn does not give you versatility whatsoever - you need to forget about taking your degree out of CT. The idea that it will carry to DC is laughable. It also has the worst employment outcomes of any of the schools you are considering. Don't go there without a full ride.

'Dozo and BK each give you a negligible chance (~5-10%) at a positive outcome, and a roughly 90% chance of a negative one. You say you're a NY resident - does that mean COL will be covered while living in NYC? If not, throw another ~$20k per year onto the price tag. IMO, neither school is worth paying money for. $9k / year at BK sounds reasonable, until you remember that doesn't include tuition increases, or books, or fees, or interest. If you're paying COL out of pocket as well, your total COA could easily top $100k. That's a TON of money for a school that gives you less than a coin flip chance at getting a job.

Furthermore, 'Dozo's specialty rankings are utterly meaningless. They won't help you get a job, and basically only reflect what professors at other schools think of professors at 'Dozo. Specialty rankings should not be a factor in your decision at all; they should be completely discounted unless all else is equal.

Finally, you say you want to do IP, but you have no technical background. You should let go of that dream. Being unable to sit for the patent bar substantially affects your ability to enter patent work. Furthermore, lack of a technical background will not give employers any reason to consider you for an IP field when you are competing against dozens of resumes with relevant experience. With your lack of a technical background, obtaining IP work is extremely unlikely from any of these schools.

You need to retake. Your GPA is outstanding, and improving your score even 10 points will guarantee you T14 schools with money. All of your goals - doing IP work, working in the NE / NYC, and straight-up finding any legal employment - will be significantly easier coming out of a better school. Even if you have no interest in T14, a better score will net you literally tens (possibly hundreds) of thousands of dollars in scholarships, making a more modest career path financially feasible. You are wasting all of the hard work you put into undergrad if you settle for a 159, and you will spend the rest of your life regretting such a short sighted decision. The rest of your career is not worth throwing away due to momentary concerns.

TL;DR: Retake is the only correct answer here. Any less is a disservice to yourself and your future.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:45 am

You should do more research.

Informative

Postby Informative » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:35 am

Out of these schools, go to whichever is going to be cheapest. You don't want any debt coming out of any of these schools.

shredmeister

Postby shredmeister » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:11 pm

I started with a 150, cold. Got up to 165 in practice, got unlucky on real LSAT. Even if I got a 165, I wouldnt be a top applicant anywhere "worthwhile" and I most likely wouldnt get a significant scholarship. Why should I gamble an entire year on improving past a 165 when I spent months of full-time work getting to where I am now?

I would have to live home, rotting in my parents house for another straight year just to wait and see before having the same dilemma again next year.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:15 pm

shredmeister wrote:I started with a 150, cold. Got up to 165 in practice, got unlucky on real LSAT. Even if I got a 165, I wouldnt be a top applicant anywhere "worthwhile" and I most likely wouldnt get a significant scholarship. Why should I gamble an entire year on improving past a 165 when I spent months of full-time work getting to where I am now?

I would have to live home, rotting in my parents house for another straight year just to wait and see before having the same dilemma again next year.

Because you can almost certainly score better and you're wasting a good GPA. I get not wanting to stay at home. It sucks. I did it. It sucks. You can always try moving out and rooming with a buddy or something while working in a restaurant to make dough, but take this opportunity to study. You think rotting in your parents' house sucks now? Imagine what it will be like in the very real scenario of you graduating without a job.

thethe

Postby thethe » Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:37 pm

shredmeister wrote:I started with a 150, cold. Got up to 165 in practice, got unlucky on real LSAT. Even if I got a 165, I wouldnt be a top applicant anywhere "worthwhile" and I most likely wouldnt get a significant scholarship. Why should I gamble an entire year on improving past a 165 when I spent months of full-time work getting to where I am now?

That's not true at all. With a 165, you won't only get into schools that are worthwhile but get a lot of $ to them. When I applied people with your GPA and a 165 got big scholarship money to top ten law schools after negotiating. I'm talking what you're paying now at schools with no employment prospects. This was before the drop in applications.

Assuming you're in the northeast with a 165 you'd probably get a lot of money to Cornell with your GPA. The reason why top 14's aren't accepting you now isn't because of concern over their rankings, but because they think it wouldn't be fair to put you in competition with people with 3.8's and 170s. If you get a 165, which is like you said a small difference, this concern will diminish and you'll get in.

I didn't want to chime in on any of this, but in your situation with the year you can be really successful in that you're just a good day from a great situation, and not someone with a 144 and poor GPA. This decision can be, and I am not a dramatic individual likely worth millions of dollars and it's not like 5 million vs. 10 million - it's more like being back in your parent's basement in 3 years with no future vs. establishing an upper middle class life with a nice home, hot and loving wife and private schools.

I understand the social stigma against living in your parent's basement. I understand at your age girls will prefer a man who is on his way to serious debt and a horrible life but has his own place on student loan $ over a guy in his parent's basement waiting to apply to law school. What I am saying to you is these girls are foolish and do not know any better. You need to ignore them, your parents, their parents and maybe your friends.

You seem to realize this conflict - b/w statistics and other people's opinions, but you're on the wrong end of it. Your parent's basement right now is not that bad - you're 22/23. Try your parents' basement at 33. Also, your parents don't seem well off enough that they can pay for your own place so you're not spoiled meaning it's not impossible at 43 you'll be the lost cause child on the street. This is astonishingly dumb as at 43 you personally because of your gpa and ability to get the 165 can have a cushioney life.

You know what else makes you feel good in the short term? Crack cocaine. Look at the neurological effects. It looks so pleasurable. Frankly, it looks awesome. Why don't you smoke crack cocaine? Because of the brain cell death, addiction and long term outcome of people who try it one time? Hmmmmm, kind of hypocritical no? If you don't sit out, you should at least smoke it once.

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:11 pm

thethe wrote:
shredmeister wrote:
You know what else makes you feel good in the short term? Crack cocaine. Look at the neurological effects. It looks so pleasurable. Frankly, it looks awesome. Why don't you smoke crack cocaine? Because of the brain cell death, addiction and long term outcome of people who try it one time? Hmmmmm, kind of hypocritical no? If you don't sit out, you should at least smoke it once.

shredmeister

Postby shredmeister » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:15 pm

So basically, it's more foolish to go to one of these schools and aim for Law Review as the big fish in a small pond-doing so with minimal debt - than to wait tables (my job now, good call with the restaurant guess) for a year, while PRAYING to somehow crack my 165 LSAT ceiling (and paying for tutoring, books, etc) just so that I MAY have a BETTER chance at getting into significantly tougher schools with tougher competition and more debt?

I see what you're all saying but I just can't imagine that going anywhere outside of a T20 school diminishes any hope I have at living comfortably and happily; wherever I go, be it Phoenix or Harvard, I don't foresee myself graduating job-less, smoking crackcocaine in my parents basement with a law degree from a Tier-1 school hanging on the wall. (ok, maybe if I go to phoenix)

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:17 pm

shredmeister wrote:So basically, it's more foolish to go to one of these schools and aim for Law Review as the big fish in a small pond-doing so with minimal debt - than to wait tables (my job now, good call with the restaurant guess) for a year, while PRAYING to somehow crack my 165 LSAT ceiling (and paying for tutoring, books, etc) just so that I MAY have a BETTER chance at getting into significantly tougher schools with tougher competition and more debt?

I see what you're all saying but I just can't imagine that going anywhere outside of a T20 school diminishes any hope I have at living comfortably and happily; wherever I go, be it Phoenix or Harvard, I don't foresee myself graduating job-less, smoking crackcocaine in my parents basement with a law degree from a Tier-1 school hanging on the wall. (ok, maybe if I go to phoenix)

You are literally wrong.

http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=brooklyn
Last edited by Clearly on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:19 pm

shredmeister wrote:So basically, it's more foolish to go to one of these schools and aim for Law Review as the big fish in a small pond-doing so with minimal debt - than to wait tables (my job now, good call with the restaurant guess) for a year, while PRAYING to somehow crack my 165 LSAT ceiling (and paying for tutoring, books, etc) just so that I MAY have a BETTER chance at getting into significantly tougher schools with tougher competition and more debt?

Several flaws here:

1) Higher-ranked schools don't necessarily have tougher competition. You will be in a similar GPA range and LSAT score band to everyone else.

2) You do not need to crack 165 (although obviously that's preferable). Its advisable to retake a 159 because you're right on the edge of cracking through a lot of medians at better schools -which will also put more scholarship money in play.

3) These offers will be on the table next year. There is no rush. If some reason you can't do better on the LSAT, at least you'll have peace of mind.

thethe

Postby thethe » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:25 pm

In these schools (BLS, Cardozo), yes.

Big fish v. small pond is tougher. Law school exam performance is somewhat more predictable than what people on this forum give it credit as being (170, 3.9 with a good GPA will prob place in the top half at these schools), but the extremes are never predictable.

At these schools in particular there will be quite a few outliers who are looking to just get a law degree to supplement what they have and have Columbia/NYU credentials, and many pick these schools over Fordham because of $ and don't go t-14 because they have a spouse working in the city.

Like you said the difference b/w a 159 and 165 isn't major. It will be hard to be a big fish in a little pond, and the difference for big law - say top 10% vs. having to be in the top 50% more than outweighs it. The IQ difference and work ethic b/w Cornell and Cardozo will be present, but it's not major on average. I personally know a few people in all the schools you mentioned who are legitimately smart but didn't get top quarter. It's not like a Cooley drop in IQ. Also, big fish in the small pond is cocky because all you got was the 159 - most people feel like they would've done better if they tried harder.

You are just fish. You might be a great white shark or a tadpole. Nobody knows. All you control is the pond.

Graduating jobless is a real concern everywhere - 50% of grads at the top 14 have this concern. Most of those jobs from that bracket, but not great ones, and it's still a concern. Why amplify it?

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:26 pm

thethe wrote:

In these schools (BLS, Cardozo), yes.

Big fish v. small pond is tougher. Law school exam performance is somewhat more predictable than what people on this forum give it credit as being (170, 3.9 with a good GPA will prob place in the top half at these schools), but the extremes are never predictable.

At these schools in particular there will be quite a few outliers who are looking to just get a law degree to supplement what they have and have Columbia/NYU credentials, and many pick these schools over Fordham because of $ and don't go t-14 because they have a spouse working in the city.

Like you said the difference b/w a 159 and 165 isn't major. It will be hard to be a big fish in a little pond, and the difference for big law - say top 10% vs. having to be in the top 50% more than outweighs it. The IQ difference and work ethic b/w Cornell and Cardozo will be present, but it's not major on average. I personally know a few people in all the schools you mentioned who are legitimately smart but didn't get top quarter. It's not like a Cooley drop in IQ. Also, big fish in the small pond is cocky because all you got was the 159 - most people feel like they would've done better if they tried harder.

You are just fish. You might be a great white shark or a tadpole. Nobody knows. All you control is the pond.

Graduating jobless is a real concern everywhere - 50% of grads at the top 14 have this concern. Most of those jobs from that bracket, but not great ones, and it's still a concern. Why amplify it?

Yeah, 159 is at or near 25th percentile for Brooklyn and probably for the other schools. I don't know why OP thinks he's a big fish and he can gun for law review.

thethe

Postby thethe » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:47 pm

1.) Study -> Increase ceiling.

2.) Crack was a poor analogy because this gives you at least a chance of gainful employment, but it's a small one.

3.) Many people have law degrees from tier 1 schools and struggle. Tier 1 is meaningless from a tier 2. You're paying close to sticker at Cardozo. Literally, most people there will have a scholarship, many a full 1 as they make it rain. Big law is 10-15% there. Being in your parent's basement isn't a necessarily unlikely outcome with the debt load. If the most likely outcome is a 50-60k salary with your debt load, waiting tables which in NYC can pay 25-30k a year and is mostly cash that most don't pay full taxes on would prob be worth more.

4.) Don't laugh at waiting tables. It's a great job for before law school, and will display a requisite amount of humility, social skills and charm that will probably get you interviews coming from a top 14 law school as a decent %age will lack these skills.

If I was you, I'd do nothing to October but study and get apps ready. I'd then start waiting tables in November.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:03 pm

You can wait tables now for a year or wait tables after graduation for the rest of your life. Your choice.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:00 pm

I don't think I could pack in more clueless 0L cliches into a post if I tried. OP you're a fool for not retaking with that GPA (you haven't told us your methods yet), you're a fool to think that just because you got a 3.9 in UG you'll have a leg up on the competition at these schools, you're foolish to think specialty rankings matter, and you're foolish to think you'll get a well-paying job out of any of them.

These schools are for people who want to work in their local areas either as district attorneys or public defenders or as lawyers in small-time private practice. They are not for anyone looking to do IP or make big bucks. The "gamble" is going to law school and trying to be the 10% of people who make it to the top 10%. The smart move is to sit it out for a year.

shredmeister

Postby shredmeister » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:36 pm

I probably should clarify- I dont know too much about IP, I'm just interested in learning more about patents, trademarks, and copyrights; those fields are what got me interested in law in the first place. I don't want to be a killer litigator; I see myself looking for a career outside of the court room- I would love to be a mediator/arbitrator ultimately, but I understand that I need practical experience before doing so. (Only reason I didn't apply to Pepperdine for ADR is bc I'd be too far from my fam; same goes for Ohio St)

As for the prior LSAT discussion- hypothetically, lets say I got a 165 and had my 3.9... lets say doors open to schools such as BC, BU, GW, Fordham, and MAYBE cornell/UVA- but with little to no scholly. Would I really be so much better off paying out the ass when I'm not interested in biglaw (I mean, besides for the money; if I somehow can secure a biglaw position, I'd obviously take it for my first few years for $$)?

I may sound like I havent done my research, but I have. I just don't know EXACTLY what field of law I see myself ending up practicing. I also don;t know EXACTLY where I want to live. I do know, however, that there are thousands of lawyers coming from schools outside of the T14 who do find jobs and do live happily and comfortably.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”