GULC vs UT$ vs Vandy $$

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
carol0131

GULC vs UT$ vs Vandy $$

Postby carol0131 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:55 pm

Hello everyone. My options have been narrowed down to these three GULC(sticker), UT Law(15.000/year) , Vandy(25.000/year+5000)
I am an International applicant and never been to the U.S. before. So I have ties in none of these places. I know GULC is a very risky choice, but it is the only T14 I’ve got so far. I don’t see my chances getting off waitlist from Penn UVA and Duke… also on reserve list of Cornell...
I would like to go to law firms and get a high pay( assuming I could study well). But I am not sure whether I would say no to positions from NGOs. That’s one of the reasons I think why D.C. is a good place to go.

Any thoughts from you are well appreciated!
Thanks.

rad lulz

Re: GULC vs UT$ vs Vandy $$

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:03 pm

None of the above

As an international wanting to work in the states, you are basically gunning almost exclusively for large firms, because they are the ones most apt to sponsor H1B visas

None of those gives you a good (50%+) shot at that (lawschooltransparency.com)

Also you can't take out US loans (which at least give you the option of IBR to prevent you starving)

Unless one of these schools can get you a sick jerb in your home country or whatever, don't do it bro

"No don't do it, please don't do it." - Drake

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:06 pm

GULC at sticker is definitely too risky. Theres like a 2/3 chance you will get debt pwned.

Vandy, UT, and GULC are basically peers. Vandy is your best offer, so I would would go there. Or retake/reapply.

Be aware the odds of getting a high paying firm job out of any of these schools are against you.

carol0131

Postby carol0131 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:16 pm

rad lulz wrote:None of the above

As an international wanting to work in the states, you are basically gunning almost exclusively for large firms, because they are the ones most apt to sponsor H1B visas

None of those gives you a good (50%+) shot at that (lawschooltransparency.com)

Also you can't take out US loans (which at least give you the option of IBR to prevent you starving)

Unless one of these schools can get you a sick jerb in your home country or whatever, don't do it bro

"No don't do it, please don't do it." - Drake

Wow thanks for the information.
If I can luckily land a job in the states, that would be ideal. If not, I am happy to go back to my country. Also, people here are obsessive with usnews university rankings...

carol0131

Postby carol0131 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:23 pm

Nova wrote:GULC at sticker is definitely too risky. Theres like a 2/3 chance you will get debt pwned.

Vandy, UT, and GULC are basically peers. Vandy is your best offer, so I would would go there. Or retake/reapply.

Be aware the odds of getting a high paying firm job out of any of these schools are against you.

Thanks. I know my choices are not so good... I'm just trying to pick a better one among these . My parents will sponsor me and they will not allow me to gap a year.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:25 pm

carol0131 wrote:
Nova wrote:GULC at sticker is definitely too risky. Theres like a 2/3 chance you will get debt pwned.

Thanks. I know my choices are not so good... I'm just trying to pick a better one among these . My parents will sponsor me and they will not allow me to gap a year.

Your choices are pretty good. Just not for BigLaw or bust.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:26 pm

carol0131 wrote:

I suggest having a srs talk w your folks

carol0131

Postby carol0131 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:32 pm

Nova wrote:
carol0131 wrote:

Your choices are pretty good. Just not for BigLaw or bust.

:D

Homelandsagreatshow

Postby Homelandsagreatshow » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:32 pm

carol0131 wrote:

Yeah, this is a lie. I have a knack for sniffing these things out.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:58 am

Two questions:

1) Are your parents paying the entire cost or do you still have to take out loans?

2) Why do you want a US education if you're just as happy working in your home country? I'm assuming you have a much better shot at landing a long-term career where you're from.

carol0131

Postby carol0131 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:14 am

stuckinthemiddle wrote:Two questions:

1) Are your parents paying the entire cost or do you still have to take out loans?

2) Why do you want a US education if you're just as happy working in your home country? I'm assuming you have a much better shot at landing a long-term career where you're from.

1)My parents will pay the cost by their savings. So no loans from third party.
2)A US education is what will help me land a better job in my home country. :)

Postby 20141023 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:24 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carol0131

Postby carol0131 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:52 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
carol0131 wrote:2)A US education is what will help me land a better job in my home country. :)

I am not sure what country you live in, but I doubt that an American JD would help you in a foreign country that much, especially if it isn't from a school with international recognition (like Harvard).

1) Whereabouts do you live?
2) What kind of law do you want to practice in if you end up in your home country?

1) Asia
2) Commercial field.
BTW, thanks for the charts and graphs!

Postby 20141023 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:01 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carol0131

Postby carol0131 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:28 am

kappycaft1 wrote:
carol0131 wrote:1) Asia
2) Commercial field.

Are you sure that you would be able to utilize an American JD in your home country? (American JDs can help graduates crack the branches of US firms' overseas offices, but I am not sure how effective they are at helping graduates enter domestic firms in foreign countries.)

I think what everyone here is worried about is that, while you might not end up in debt because of family support, you might needlessly spend 3 years of your life for an undesirable outcome.

Anyway, to answer your question, if your family is paying for it and you're 100% set on going to one of these schools, I vote GULC because it has the most name recognition (which is important overseas) of the 3 institutions you're considering.

Thanks for your input. It did take me a long time to set up my mind for JD. Anyways, I'll just try my best to make things work.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:53 pm

carol0131 wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:
carol0131 wrote:1) Asia
2) Commercial field.

Are you sure that you would be able to utilize an American JD in your home country? (American JDs can help graduates crack the branches of US firms' overseas offices, but I am not sure how effective they are at helping graduates enter domestic firms in foreign countries.)

I think what everyone here is worried about is that, while you might not end up in debt because of family support, you might needlessly spend 3 years of your life for an undesirable outcome.

Anyway, to answer your question, if your family is paying for it and you're 100% set on going to one of these schools, I vote GULC because it has the most name recognition (which is important overseas) of the 3 institutions you're considering.

Thanks for your input. It did take me a long time to set up my mind for JD. Anyways, I'll just try my best to make things work.

be thankful every day you have rich & generous parents. makes these decisions so much easier doesn't it

edit: and yes, if working in Korea/HK/Singapore is a real possibility, Georgetown will serve you much better.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:37 am

Sorry, but could you explain to me how in the world getting an AMERICAN J.D. is going to help you get a job in your home country? Law is not transferable across boundaries like business or medicine is. I'm assuming that to practice and get work in your home country, you'll need to pass its bar. Why would you spend 3 years studying American Law to take a completely different bar?

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:08 am

stuckinthemiddle wrote:Sorry, but could you explain to me how in the world getting an AMERICAN J.D. is going to help you get a job in your home country? Law is not transferable across boundaries like business or medicine is. I'm assuming that to practice and get work in your home country, you'll need to pass its bar. Why would you spend 3 years studying American Law to take a completely different bar?

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree. I don't see why OP isn't studying law in their own country if that's where they want to work. It doesn't seem like this has been well planned out.

curepure

Postby curepure » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:54 am

stuckinthemiddle wrote:Sorry, but could you explain to me how in the world getting an AMERICAN J.D. is going to help you get a job in your home country? Law is not transferable across boundaries like business or medicine is. I'm assuming that to practice and get work in your home country, you'll need to pass its bar. Why would you spend 3 years studying American Law to take a completely different bar?

I'm from Asian too, technically China, nobody takes loan to study abroad, (almost exclusively)parents pay for the entire cost in cash. I would say its kinda a failure if you have to go back with a US JD degree, but JD and us bars are looked upon there so it still somewhat gives an advantage over local students. In addition China has Law major in undergrad, so if you get JD in US, then you'll probably have different background from law competing with others. It's not the most cost-efficient way I admit but some families prefer to support their kids to study abroad rather than deposit the money in a bank. It's a different culture

Chaucer1343

Postby Chaucer1343 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:18 am

Last edited by Chaucer1343 on Mon Jul 04, 2016 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stuckinthemiddle

Postby stuckinthemiddle » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:21 am

Meh.

Parents should be saving up for their retirement, not funding an unnecessary gamble. OP, I hope you've thought long and hard about why you want a U.S. J.D. and what you plan to do with it.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:26 am

IFF you have the money, than Georgetown is your best option. The international marketplace = prestige whores, so you definitely need the biggest name that you can get. (Something most Americans -- TLS'ers --- just don't understand.)

Is it risky? Absolutely.

carol0131

Postby carol0131 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:33 am

stuckinthemiddle wrote:Meh.

Parents should be saving up for their retirement, not funding an unnecessary gamble. OP, I hope you've thought long and hard about why you want a U.S. J.D. and what you plan to do with it.

Thanks for the alert. I'm very grateful for my parents' generousity especially that they are still willing to sponsor me when they know it's a huge and risky investment.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”