Which schools should I apply to? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Swimp

Bronze

Re: Which schools should I apply to?

Post by Swimp » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:11 am

ironbmike wrote:I used Kaplan and it was terrible. I took a year off, studied on my own using the resources on this site (and the LSAT Bible books) and improved my score a lot. Take a year off and work in a law firm to make sure you want to do it. Then retake when you know you are ready.
Same story here. Kaplan didn't get me where I needed to be. I took a couple years off, started studying on my own and got a score I was happy with after about 3 months of solo work.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:24 pm

sublime12089 wrote:Honestly, and please forgive me if this sounds harsh, but you will not get into a school worth going to with a 144. There is no way around it. Again, I don't want to come off as mean-spirited, but that is the simple fact of the matter. Sorry.
This is without a doubt the correct answer. Do not go to law school if the best you can muster is a 144. You really need a 160+ before this can even maybe become a decent investment. Honestly, if you can't do better, and this will sound harsh too... you shouldn't go to law school if you can't do better than a 144 (or even a 160). It's not that you're not smart enough or not qualified enough, its that the schools you would be going to would be so bad that they wouldn't be worth attending.

At most schools, you are looking at six figures of debt for a 50/50 shot or worse at ever becoming a lawyer. And that lawyer job is one that will probably pay similarly to the one you have now. A 40-50k job would be a killer outcome for students at most of the schools you just listed, yet you would now have over six figures in debt.

I'm glad to hear you're considering a retake, and I wish you the best of luck. Treat this exam like the most important one you'll ever take, because it is. It is hard to overstate the importance of the LSAT. Work your ass off, see what score you get, and then come back and we can talk about if and where it is worth going.

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:52 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:
PickMe! wrote::lol: @ accepted into Charlotte with 7k and a 144. That's funny.
Why is that funny?? Just curious
Just ignore him.

Glad you're going to retake. I'm not one to often advocate retaking, but you definitely need to. If you improve it by even 6 points and hit 150, you'll still be much better off.
I do believe you should retaking; however, I noticed everyone recommends retaking until you get into hys with scholly. I got into a high t2 school and people still tell me to retake. when did 150 be sufficient on tls?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:57 pm

resilience99 wrote:I do believe you should retaking; however, I noticed everyone recommends retaking until you get into hys with scholly. I got into a high t2 school and people still tell me to retake. when did 150 be sufficient on tls?
Hyperbole much? That's not at all the TLS conventional wisdom. And "high T2" means nothing. Taking on significant debt at a T2 is a fool's errand.

If OP can't at least go to a reputable local school for close to free, then he/she should not go to law school.

ProspectiveStudent69

New

Post by ProspectiveStudent69 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:03 pm

Just from a monetary stand point even a 155 would get me a hell of a lot more money or in the door somewhere better. I gotta get a tutor or just a better LG work book. Once my schedule clears up I will be able to master it. :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ProspectiveStudent69

New

Post by ProspectiveStudent69 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:53 pm

Law Sauce wrote:Seriously consider other career paths. Dont be impatient and just go to LS because you dont know what to do or want to start doing something. It will end up being a huge mistake and you will have tons of debt (this is still true even if you get a 165). Who knows what you could with your life, dont limit yourself by going to LS
I assure you a low lsat score shouldn't determine whether I give up my passion or not. People get PHDs in philosophy knowing damn well it doesn't pay shit. Maybe I'm perfectly happy knowing I'm smart enough to accomplish my goals even if it is at a TTTT law school, all it needs is ABA accreditation. I would like to know statistics on the attrition rates with respect to those students LSAT scores (I bet alot of high LSAT scores would be amongst those, in fact much higher scores than mine, I assure you). Just like the ACT, the LSAT is just another shallow way of developing a hierarchy. I did do a full LSAT proctored today and got one point better, so I guess that is a start. If I have to go into solo practice I will. I will only have law school debt, my under grad was paid in full.

90convoy

Silver

Post by 90convoy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:59 pm

I assure you a low lsat score should determine whether I give up my passion or not. People get PHDs in philosophy knowing damn well it doesn't pay shit. Maybe I perfectly happy knowing I'm smart enough to accomplish my goals even if it is at a law school, all it needs is ABA accreditation. I would like to know statistics on the attrition rates with respect those students LSAT scores. Just like the ACT, the LSAT is just another shallow way of developing a hierarchy. I did do a full LSAT proctored today and got one point better, so I guess that is a start. If I have to go into solo practice I will. I will only have law school debt, my under grad was paid in full.
It doesn't matter what people tell you at this point if it's what you want to do.(going to law school) I personally know a lawyer who went to a very low tier law school (actually one that is on your list) and he is a millionaire from solo practice in a city of about 100,000; he loves his job. It'll be hard and unlikely for you, but if it's your passion then it's worth it. But yeah, def retake.

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:15 pm

ProspectiveStudent69 wrote:
Law Sauce wrote:Seriously consider other career paths. Dont be impatient and just go to LS because you dont know what to do or want to start doing something. It will end up being a huge mistake and you will have tons of debt (this is still true even if you get a 165). Who knows what you could with your life, dont limit yourself by going to LS
I assure you a low lsat score shouldn't determine whether I give up my passion or not. People get PHDs in philosophy knowing damn well it doesn't pay shit. Maybe I'm perfectly happy knowing I'm smart enough to accomplish my goals even if it is at a TTTT law school, all it needs is ABA accreditation. I would like to know statistics on the attrition rates with respect to those students LSAT scores (I bet alot of high LSAT scores would be amongst those, in fact much higher scores than mine, I assure you). Just like the ACT, the LSAT is just another shallow way of developing a hierarchy. I did do a full LSAT proctored today and got one point better, so I guess that is a start. If I have to go into solo practice I will. I will only have law school debt, my under grad was paid in full.
Just to be clear: no one in this thread is saying that a 144 means you won't be a good lawyer. There's honestly no way to tell that at this point. What they're saying is that a 144 will only get you into schools that barely even give you a chance to practice law in the first place. Keep plugging away at the LSAT if you know law is what you want to do. Embrace the test for what it is- an exercise that can be taught, learned, practiced, and mastered.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”