Dayton or Chase Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
exitoptions

Bronze

Re: Dayton or Chase

Post by exitoptions » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:41 pm

View10 wrote: They're out there. I grew up in a law firm. My uncle Bob always left around 3, went to a bar and hung out until he went home. He was never hugely successful, but he was never wanting or unhappy either. Honestly, one of the perks of being an attorney is that you can work for yourself and be your own boss. Working big law takes that away completely.
Lemme get this straight, you're trying to model your life off of your alcoholic uncle Bob?

/thread.

View10

New

Post by View10 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:42 pm

exitoptions wrote:
View10 wrote: They're out there. I grew up in a law firm. My uncle Bob always left around 3, went to a bar and hung out until he went home. He was never hugely successful, but he was never wanting or unhappy either. Honestly, one of the perks of being an attorney is that you can work for yourself and be your own boss. Working big law takes that away completely.
Lemme get this straight, you're trying to model your life off of your alcoholic uncle Bob?

/thread.
Yep. At least its a goal I know I can achieve.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:43 pm

View10 wrote:
Danger Zone wrote:We've been trolled. Or you're really clueless.

Either way, abandon ship, everyone. This is a lost cause.
I'm not trolling.

I just don't care about being big law like some of you. I just want to be happy in the end; have a decent house; a fenced in back yard - that sort of thing. I want the freedom that comes along with being an attorney and being able to go home at 3pm if I want some days.
Odds are you will have none of these things. Good luck getting a bank to give you financing when you have a quarter million dollars in non-dischargeable student loan debt and a 40k job. But debt doesn't matter right?

Also, you wrongly assume that lower paying legal jobs don't suck just as much as the high paying ones can suck. A lot of ID shops and other sweatshop law firms (places where you'd be lucky to get a job from Dayton or Chase) work their associates hard, have horrible turnover, and pay them shit. This fantasyland where you graduate from a shitty law school with a ton of debt and work cush hours for great clients and go drink at the Bar with Uncle Bob is absolutely hilarious to me.

Honestly, you are a lost cause. You're so far out in left field that rational discussion would be a waste of time. Good luck with all that.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:49 pm

View10 wrote:I appreciate many of the responses given here. But I disagree with most.

What most of you seem to routinely forget about law school is that (1) The LSAT, along with law school credentials are wildly inaccurate and worthless; (2) Where a person goes to school has little to do with success in comparison to that person's motivation; and (3) student loan repayment plans.

To elaborate:

(1) LSAC has admitted that the LSAT has only a .46 correlation to law school performance. Plain and simple, a person with a perfect 180 is literally a coin flip from doing either good or bad in law school based on that score. Likewise a person with a 122 LSAT actually has the odds in his/her favor that they could end up as the top of their class despite a horrible LSAT score. So why then would law schools put so much weight on the LSAT score? MONEY.

(2) I personally know a Harvard graduate who is terrible at law and makes nearly nothing while at the same time a Chase graduate started a successful firm and lives very well. I'm sure most of know similar stories. It is just crazy that most of you put so much weight into getting into only T100 or T14 schools when it doesn't matter either way. You could go to Yale, graduate top 10% and land a $160L job but then act like a moron and get fired 6 months later. Whether you bet on black or red, there's still a small chance it will land on green.

Additional note on this point: I have never understood why most people don't realize that the rules apply to them - when only %10 of law graduates will make over $90K starting out, why do 60% of you want to go to a T14 school?

(3) Grad plus loans fall under the 15% repayment plan. After 25 years the remaining debt is forgiven. Accordingly, who cares about how much school costs? You could graduate with $2,000,000.00 (of course I'm exaggerating here) and you would still be fine if you, more than likely, don't get that $160k and instead get the more realistic $60K a year job.

In summary: the debt doesn't matter, the school doesn't matter, and the LSAT is a lie. So why not go to the school that closest to home? It doesn't fucking matter.
This post is so bad that it's not even wrong.

Why are you asking for advice here? Just go to the school closest to home. Your "motivation" will take care of everything.

Danger Zone

Platinum

Post by Danger Zone » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:52 pm

With some hard work and dedication, even you could be President some day. BOOT STRAPS!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:02 pm

Crap, didn't realize I should have aimed for a 122 so I could increase my odds of doing well in law school.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:05 pm

Serious question tho, do you want a line-by-line explanation of why each of your points is wrong, or would you rather blissfully continue storing your head up your ass?

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:09 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:10 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:Serious question tho, do you want a line-by-line explanation of why each of your points is wrong, or would you rather blissfully continue storing your head up your ass?
His ass is a spacetime singularity, and he has already disappeared into it. Don't waste your time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:10 pm

You guys aren't going to turn this into 6 page thread, are you?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:11 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:You guys aren't going to turn this into 6 page thread, are you?
Maybe. Are you (or someone else) going to lecture us on the TLS echo chamber and decry how mean we are? If so, then yes.

Gold

Post by 20141023 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:11 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManoftheHour

Gold

Post by ManoftheHour » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:21 pm

OP, don't listen to these guys. You're the most special of all special snowflakes. Just work hard, and you'll be fine. It worked in undergrad, right?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:14 pm

Welcome to TLS

Ti Malice

Gold

Post by Ti Malice » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:22 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:I've thought about writing a long post about my experiences as a paralegal in shit law due to posters EXACTLY like this one. That phrase gets tossed around on TLS but I really don't think that people have any idea what it MEANS and I've never seen it spelled out for someone who doesn't have any legal experience. When posters like this say, "I don't want to do big law, I'll just go to TTTT" they really don't know what they're getting themselves into. Based on what I've read about big law, shit law has many of the same pressures with no room for advancement, little to no intellectual stimulation, and no money (60k a year in Dayton? That's cute...).

I'm not suggesting big law, or even the T-14, are right for everyone but these people seem painfully naive about what a job, if you can get one, out of UD/Chase would look like. It boggles my mind.
Yep. And those TTTT grads belong to the minority with "good" outcomes.

Please post more often.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:24 pm

Not gonna lie: a) haven't read this thread; b) had no clue that either of those law schools existed. And I spend a lot of time on this board and doing other law-school-related activities.

OP: retake the LSAT and attend a different school or don't go to law school at all.

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:You guys aren't going to turn this into 6 page thread, are you?
Maybe. Are you (or someone else) going to lecture us on the TLS echo chamber and decry how mean we are? If so, then yes.
TLS is probably one of the main reasons I get to apply to LS with such a large decline in applicants, so I think if anything I should be grateful for each and every similar thread that has been posted. The meanness is justified in many cases. The TLS echo chamber has saved the lives of many would be law students. Carry on.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Micdiddy

Gold

Post by Micdiddy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Great thread, or greatest thread?

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:32 pm

Welcome to TLS

Crowing

Gold

Post by Crowing » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:33 pm

Micdiddy wrote:Great thread, or greatest thread?
SSDD really

Midas Whale

New

Post by Midas Whale » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:37 pm

Danger Zone wrote:We've been trolled. Or you're really clueless.

Either way, abandon ship, everyone. This is a lost cause.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:39 pm

CaptainLeela wrote:
Ti Malice wrote:
CaptainLeela wrote:I've thought about writing a long post about my experiences as a paralegal in shit law due to posters EXACTLY like this one. That phrase gets tossed around on TLS but I really don't think that people have any idea what it MEANS and I've never seen it spelled out for someone who doesn't have any legal experience. When posters like this say, "I don't want to do big law, I'll just go to TTTT" they really don't know what they're getting themselves into. Based on what I've read about big law, shit law has many of the same pressures with no room for advancement, little to no intellectual stimulation, and no money (60k a year in Dayton? That's cute...).

I'm not suggesting big law, or even the T-14, are right for everyone but these people seem painfully naive about what a job, if you can get one, out of UD/Chase would look like. It boggles my mind.
Yep. And those TTTT grads belong to the minority with "good" outcomes.

Please post more often.
Absolutely correct. Nearly every attorney I worked with had CALI awards framed on their walls. They were the top 10-20% at this type of institution and their reward is 25-30/year with no benefits. They are also bright, hard working people who got sucked into the idea that a JD is the same from anywhere.

And thanks. I'm a baby 0L and try to only post when I actually KNOW something. I happen to know about shit law in secondary markets. Lucky me :roll:
Too bad a lot of others on TLS are not as judicious about posting their advice, especially the ones with such a low post count. I guess if the advice is good and accurate, then it doesn't really matter.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:40 pm

bizzybone1313 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
TLS is probably one of the main reasons I get to apply to LS with such a large decline in applicants, so I think if anything I should be grateful for each and every similar thread that has been posted. The meanness is justified in many cases. The TLS echo chamber has saved the lives of many would be law students. Carry on.
Ha, sorry. That may have come off as snide or aggressive towards you, I didn't mean it that way. I was just joking in general.

CaptainLeela

Platinum

Welcome to TLS

Post by CaptainLeela » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:45 pm

Welcome to TLS

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Ha, sorry. That may have come off as snide or aggressive towards you, I didn't mean it that way. I was just joking in general.
It is all good. Unfornuately, a lot of would be law students do need to hear the advice you guys dispense. I personally know a girl with a 3.9 GPA that ended up at TTTT. It is really sad. She had the potential to get into at least a T-20 school, but she apprarently didn't do sufficient research about the LSAT to get admitted to a respectable school. There will always be a lot of people that get suckered into attending these type of schools.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”