Dayton or Chase

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
View10

Dayton or Chase

Postby View10 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:35 pm

Which law school would you attend of the two: NKU Chase or University of Dayton?

Scholarships and location aside, which school is better?

Ti Malice

Re: Dayton or Chase

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:07 pm

Both are horrible, as both give you less than a coin flip's shot of landing legal employment of any kind in exhange for six figures of non-dischargeable debt. It's probably not possible to say with any certainty which is more horrible than the other. NKU would at least be cheaper for a KY resident. But you should absolutely not attend either school.

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:07 pm

View10 wrote:Which law school would you attend of the two: NKU Chase or University of Dayton?

Scholarships and location should factor heavily into your decision. But to answer your question, neither. See these:

NKU: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=nku

Dayton: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=dayton

I guess Dayton looks slightly less awful, but neither is good.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:09 pm

K Rock wrote:
View10 wrote:Which law school would you attend of the two: NKU Chase or University of Dayton?

Scholarships and location should factor heavily into your decision. But to answer your question, neither. See these:

NKU: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=nku

Dayton: http://www.lstscorereports.com/?school=dayton

I guess Dayton looks slightly less awful, but neither is good.

Dayton only looks less awful because a much lower percentage of its graduates responded to inquiries about employment.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:11 pm

Should I shoot myself in the head, or in the heart?

View10

Postby View10 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:49 pm

KenLogginsDangerZone wrote:Should I shoot myself in the head, or in the heart?
Since your pic is Tom Cruise it doesn't matter; you have no soul.

I know the data on both schools. don't want to hear that "they are both horrible" or "retake"... I just want everyone's personal opinion, plain and simple.

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:03 pm

"I don't want to hear an opinion unless it's one I agree with."

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Its impossible to give you advice when we dont know your expected COA or where you are from or want to work. Both will place in the surrounding area and you shouldn't spent more than 75 including col.

Postby 052220151 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:05 pm

View10 wrote:

I know the data on both schools. don't want to hear that "they are both horrible" or "retake"... I just want everyone's personal opinion, plain and simple.

Most people's opinion is going to be that they are both super shitty.

Go to Vegas and put 200k on black in roulette. That would be a better, wiser, and smarter career/life choice.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:13 pm

timbs4339 wrote:Its impossible to give you advice when we dont know your expected COA or where you are from or want to work. Both will place in the surrounding area and you shouldn't spent more than 75 including col.

I wouldn't even pay that much for these toilets

stillwater

Postby stillwater » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:25 pm

these schools blow.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:32 pm

View10 wrote:I know the data on both schools. don't want to hear that "they are both horrible" or "retake"... I just want everyone's personal opinion, plain and simple.

I can give you my personal opinion: if your choice is between those two sorry excuses for legal institutions, don't go to law school.

Scotchandsoda

Postby Scotchandsoda » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:34 pm

View10 wrote:

That is everyones personal opinion.....

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:05 pm

You already know the data, and now you're just trying to get us to validate this horrible, horrible decision? Not gonna happen. You can see that Dayton is slightly less crappy than NKU, but clearly they are both atrocious law schools. Dayton might not be awful if you're from the area and can go for free, but other than that, no. Don't go.

nebula666

Postby nebula666 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:09 pm

TIL NKU and Dayton both have law schools

OP, pay me the $150k+ and I'll crush your hopes and dreams in about 10 minutes instead of the three years it was going to take you.

Aroldis105

Postby Aroldis105 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:50 pm

Dayton.
NKU is somewhat "homeless" as far as a direct connection to any city, it will also always be trumped by Louisville, UK, UC, & OSU
The Dayton market is very weak, but UD gives you a better shot there and in other local small markets than NKU. Also, UD's alum network is pretty strong locally and passionate about protecting their own.

bdm261

Postby bdm261 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:21 am

I know a UD law grad and Dayton is well connected to the Dayton area market, but the degree likely won't take you anywhere outside Dayton and the surrounding area.

I hear the UD campus is very nice though.

Postby 20141023 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:48 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

View10

Postby View10 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:17 pm

I appreciate many of the responses given here. But I disagree with most.

What most of you seem to routinely forget about law school is that (1) The LSAT, along with law school credentials are wildly inaccurate and worthless; (2) Where a person goes to school has little to do with success in comparison to that person's motivation; and (3) student loan repayment plans.

To elaborate:

(1) LSAC has admitted that the LSAT has only a .46 correlation to law school performance. Plain and simple, a person with a perfect 180 is literally a coin flip from doing either good or bad in law school based on that score. Likewise a person with a 122 LSAT actually has the odds in his/her favor that they could end up as the top of their class despite a horrible LSAT score. So why then would law schools put so much weight on the LSAT score? MONEY.

(2) I personally know a Harvard graduate who is terrible at law and makes nearly nothing while at the same time a Chase graduate started a successful firm and lives very well. I'm sure most of know similar stories. It is just crazy that most of you put so much weight into getting into only T100 or T14 schools when it doesn't matter either way. You could go to Yale, graduate top 10% and land a $160L job but then act like a moron and get fired 6 months later. Whether you bet on black or red, there's still a small chance it will land on green.

Additional note on this point: I have never understood why most people don't realize that the rules apply to them - when only %10 of law graduates will make over $90K starting out, why do 60% of you want to go to a T14 school?

(3) Grad plus loans fall under the 15% repayment plan. After 25 years the remaining debt is forgiven. Accordingly, who cares about how much school costs? You could graduate with $2,000,000.00 (of course I'm exaggerating here) and you would still be fine if you, more than likely, don't get that $160k and instead get the more realistic $60K a year job.

In summary: the debt doesn't matter, the school doesn't matter, and the LSAT is a lie. So why not go to the school that closest to home? It doesn't fucking matter.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:18 pm

View10 wrote:(2) I personally know a Harvard graduate who is terrible at law and makes nearly nothing while at the same time a Chase graduate started a successful firm and lives very well. I'm sure most of know similar stories. It is just crazy that most of you put so much weight into getting into only T100 or T14 schools when it doesn't matter either way. You could go to Yale, graduate top 10% and land a $160L job but then act like a moron and get fired 6 months later. Whether you bet on black or red, there's still a small chance it will land on green.

Do you understand how statistics work?

Danger Zone

Postby Danger Zone » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:20 pm

We've been trolled. Or you're really clueless.

Either way, abandon ship, everyone. This is a lost cause.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:
View10 wrote:(2) I personally know a Harvard graduate who is terrible at law and makes nearly nothing while at the same time a Chase graduate started a successful firm and lives very well. I'm sure most of know similar stories. It is just crazy that most of you put so much weight into getting into only T100 or T14 schools when it doesn't matter either way. You could go to Yale, graduate top 10% and land a $160L job but then act like a moron and get fired 6 months later. Whether you bet on black or red, there's still a small chance it will land on green.

Do you understand how statistics work?

dood

the plural of anecdotes

is data

View10

Postby View10 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:34 pm

Danger Zone wrote:We've been trolled. Or you're really clueless.

Either way, abandon ship, everyone. This is a lost cause.

I'm not trolling.

I just don't care about being big law like some of you. I just want to be happy in the end; have a decent house; a fenced in back yard - that sort of thing. I want the freedom that comes along with being an attorney and being able to go home at 3pm if I want some days. And honestly I think some of you are in for a surprise with six figure jobs. What's the real cost? You make a fortune, but will you have a life? There are studies that show happiness levels off after making $75k a year because the time required to make higher salaries deprives the person of enjoying the money they have. Some of you might want to look that up.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:36 pm

View10 wrote:I want the freedom that comes along with being an attorney and being able to go home at 3pm if I want some days.

Where can I find these clients

Who don't have issues

After lunchtime

View10

Postby View10 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:38 pm

rad lulz wrote:
View10 wrote:I want the freedom that comes along with being an attorney and being able to go home at 3pm if I want some days.

Where can I find these clients

Who don't have issues

After lunchtime

They're out there. I grew up in a law firm. My uncle Bob always left around 3, went to a bar and hung out until he went home. He was never hugely successful, but he was never wanting or unhappy either. Honestly, one of the perks of being an attorney is that you can work for yourself and be your own boss. Working big law takes that away completely.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”