Any real reason not to go to Emory?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hopingtogetin

Any real reason not to go to Emory?

Postby hopingtogetin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:24 pm

Hey everyone,
I've been reading and posting on these boards for a while and always really love hearing all the responses from people. I'm pretty close to committing to Emory at this point, and I was just wondering if there's any real reason I should avoid it. I absolutely do not want to do biglaw and would be pretty much open to anything else. I want to stay in the South (preferably GA or SC) and I have strong ties to the region. I've been really impressed with everything Emory has had to offer so far (having talked to admissions, current lawyers, and current law students), and I would graduate debt free (or at least very close to it, but I'm pretty sure debt free) based on the combination of a large scholarship and personal funds.

Basically, anyone want to validate my choice? Or let me know if I'm doing something particularly stupid?

Thanks

sanjola

Re: Any real reason not to go to Emory?

Postby sanjola » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:37 pm

Debt free, strong regional ties and 68% LST score? Sounds like a pretty solid idea to me.

Do you have any other offers?

bowser

Postby bowser » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:39 pm

But if not Biglaw what do you want to do, and do you know what it entails?

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:59 pm

How much in personal funds?

hopingtogetin

Postby hopingtogetin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:07 pm

I have offers from some other schools, but the only one offering more $ is a regional school with a fairly non-portable degree that is barely in the top 100. Emory is the highest ranked school I got into, except GW, which is only one higher, and I don't want to be in DC.

I want to do criminal law. Or possibly public interest, family, immigration, or divorce law. I know most people want biglaw, but that's not really me.

As for personal funds, I don't really feel comfortable telling my exact number on a website, but I will say that I received a large inheritance from a relative, and that with that, I could technically be able to go to a school at sticker and still have money left over with no loans.

WanderingPondering

Postby WanderingPondering » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:11 pm

hopingtogetin wrote:I received a large inheritance from a relative, and that with that, I could technically be able to go to a school at sticker and still have money left over with no loans.

Wanna get married?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:03 pm

Just because it's debt free doesn't mean it's a great investment. Playing roulette on 100k credit is still as bad an investment as playing with cash.

I'm not saying Emory is a bad school or comparable to roulette; it's a fine school and sounds like it might be a good option for you. I just wouldn't let the no debt thing convince you that it's not a bad investment at 200k+. I'd do everything in my power to limit the cost. Why not take a year off, study for the LSAT, get a good score, and then go for a steep discount? It would be the functional equivalent of throwing another 100k into your inheritance.

smaug_

Postby smaug_ » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:09 pm

I don't know about SC, but the Atlanta market is supposed to be absolutely brutal. Brutal to the extent that if you're not at least willing to consider working elsewhere, you should probably not go.

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:Just because it's debt free doesn't mean it's a great investment. Playing roulette on 100k credit is still as bad an investment as playing with cash.

I'm not saying Emory is a bad school or comparable to roulette; it's a fine school and sounds like it might be a good option for you. I just wouldn't let the no debt thing convince you that it's not a bad investment at 200k+. I'd do everything in my power to limit the cost. Why not take a year off, study for the LSAT, get a good score, and then go for a steep discount? It would be the functional equivalent of throwing another 100k into your inheritance.

This. Emory is a bad investment at that amount.

And if not a retake, why not invest in the regional school that is giving you $$ (sounds like USCe?)? If you just want criminal law, Emory won't get you much further except for MAYBE later on in your career if you get a shot at a federal prosecutor job, which are highly competitive and the odds are still slim. ADAs & PDs care much more about courtroom experience and most come from the state flagship school.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:12 pm

^ excellent points from my man deadpanic. Good to see you around.

hopingtogetin

Postby hopingtogetin » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:34 pm

romothesavior wrote:Just because it's debt free doesn't mean it's a great investment. Playing roulette on 100k credit is still as bad an investment as playing with cash.

Thank you for all the advice, everyone!

But just so you know, I think I put it in my first post, but I have a fairly substantial merit scholarship with no stips at Emory, so I will not be paying 200k. The money I personally have will mostly end up going to what little the scholarship doesn't cover, and living expenses.

Still not sure exactly what I'm going to do, but I really appreciate all the advice.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:55 am

hopingtogetin wrote:

But just so you know, I think I put it in my first post, but I have a fairly substantial merit scholarship with no stips at Emory, so I will not be paying 200k. The money I personally have will mostly end up going to what little the scholarship doesn't cover, and living expenses.

Still not sure exactly what I'm going to do, but I really appreciate all the advice.

I think Emory sounds fine for you, but I'd probably encourage you to go to UGA if it'd be cheaper.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:28 am

hopingtogetin wrote:

What are your numbers? How many times have you taken the LSAT?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:31 am

Ah, RC fail by me. I read this and assumed we were talking sticker:
hopingtogetin wrote:As for personal funds, I don't really feel comfortable telling my exact number on a website, but I will say that I received a large inheritance from a relative, and that with that, I could technically be able to go to a school at sticker and still have money left over with no loans.

If you have a big scholarship and can graduate debt free, and you have a good grasp of what being a lawyer entails and understand what an Emory degree can do for you, then it could be a great option. I'll just reiterate once more what deadpanic said though... things like small law (family, criminal, etc.) and local government are far less prestige-driven than biglaw, federal jobs, etc. Depending one where you're from and what the price tags are, the flagship state school might be a better investment. But certainly Emory with a big scholly + no debt is a pretty good deal.

hopingtogetin

Postby hopingtogetin » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:04 pm

jym_dawg wrote:

I'm reluctant to answer this because I know everyone will jump down my throat, but I have 3.65/167 and I only took it once. I was pleased with my score at the time and currently, so I didn't take it again. Sorry TLS. I know I'm supposed to have taken it 3 times. Sorry!!!!

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:41 pm

hopingtogetin wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:

I'm reluctant to answer this because I know everyone will jump down my throat, but I have 3.65/167 and I only took it once. I was pleased with my score at the time and currently, so I didn't take it again. Sorry TLS. I know I'm supposed to have taken it 3 times. Sorry!!!!

Absolutely, 100% take that thing in June. Zero downside and your investment could pay dividends of tens of thousands of more dollars (or a better school if you decide to go that route). You sound comfortable with Emory and you can graduate debt free so if you don't score higher then no biggie but if you do then your situation gets even better. No downside, sign up for that thing ASAP.

I also agree with others who say that just because you can pay in cash doesn't make it a good investment. Not sure how sizeable your scholarship is but the most I saw them giving was 105K and I don't know if that's really enough for anyone to attend. Would still probably cost 80-90k so I think I might personally rather the free regional that would only cost 40-60K in living expenses if you really don't need what the prestige of the Emory name would buy you over that of the regional school (aka a somewhat slim chance at big law).

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:01 am

BigZuck wrote:
hopingtogetin wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:

Absolutely, 100% take that thing in June. Zero downside and your investment could pay dividends of tens of thousands of more dollars (or a better school if you decide to go that route). You sound comfortable with Emory and you can graduate debt free so if you don't score higher then no biggie but if you do then your situation gets even better. No downside, sign up for that thing ASAP.

I also agree with others who say that just because you can pay in cash doesn't make it a good investment. Not sure how sizeable your scholarship is but the most I saw them giving was 105K and I don't know if that's really enough for anyone to attend. Would still probably cost 80-90k so I think I might personally rather the free regional that would only cost 40-60K in living expenses if you really don't need what the prestige of the Emory name would buy you over that of the regional school (aka a somewhat slim chance at big law).

Yeah, I think it's probably worth retaking, though honestly if OP is just looking to stay in Georgia and isn't too worried about money I'm not sure it's all that important.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:04 am

dixiecupdrinking wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
hopingtogetin wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:

Yeah, I think it's probably worth retaking, though honestly if OP is just looking to stay in Georgia and isn't too worried about money I'm not sure it's all that important.

Even if OP is going to go to Emory, if OP was offered 84K but could jump up to 105K by raising his or her LSAT a couple of points that is more than worth it. All it takes is a little time and the cost of another LSAT administration.

Zero downside, I think not retaking would be a big mistake.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:23 am

hopingtogetin wrote:
jym_dawg wrote:

For whatever it's worth I am in a similar position at another school. Numbers got me a decent scholarship and in conjunction with my savings I should be able to graduate sent free. I took the LSAT once, and am planning to retake in June just to see if I can get a few more points. I figure every additional point is worth about 10k and it seems like you're in the same boat. If you don't have 105k at Emory, then one or two points would probably be enough to get you there. Jmho.

hopingtogetin

Postby hopingtogetin » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:57 am

Thanks everyone! I can't make any promises right now, but I'm definitely going to seriously consider the june (and I know I don't have much time) .The "zero downside" is fairly appealing haha. I really appreciate your opinions.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”