NYU vs. Chicago for NYC Big Law

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
WhereAndWhy

NYU vs. Chicago for NYC Big Law

Postby WhereAndWhy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi All,

Need some advice on where to attend out of the two.

I've been admitted to both ($50k total scholarship from NYU and will be receiving scholarship info from Chicago in the next week or so and expect about the same or slightly more from Chicago). Even if I receive $0 from Chicago, I believe career prospects are ultimately much more important than the relatively small savings I expect to receive from scholarships and cost of living differences. Therefore, please ignore the financial aspect of this decision.

The primary concern relates to job prospects for Big Law in the New York City market after graduation. I have read that Chicago may have an advantage over NYU due to a smaller class size and a smaller number of students seeking big law in the NYC market. However, I have also read that NYU has an advantage over Chicago due to more extensive connections with NYC law firms. Assuming that both arguments are true, which holds more weight and why? Any other factors to consider here?

Thanks in advance.

Re: NYU vs. Chicago for NYC Big Law

Postby 09042014 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:02 pm

I'd come back with Scholarship info from U of C.

Bronck

Postby Bronck » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:04 pm

I don't think there's going to be any real discernible difference between their placement power. Go with whichever one ends up being cheaper. If they're comparably priced, then I think going to the school (and city) where you'd be happiest is a fine choice.

WhereAndWhy

Postby WhereAndWhy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:05 pm

Any idea on which ultimately has better prospects for NYC Big Law? Let's assume that Chicago also gives $50k and financials are equal.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:11 pm

WhereAndWhy wrote:Any idea on which ultimately has better prospects for NYC Big Law? Let's assume that Chicago also gives $50k and financials are equal.

Both of these schools can get you to biglaw. I have no idea how to measure the difference and I think it is negligible. Whether you get a biglaw job is up to you. There are no guarantees here.

star fox

Postby star fox » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:17 pm

If you want NYC then go to the law school in NYC since all else is equal.

Postby 20141023 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:20 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KingFish

Postby KingFish » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:24 pm

kappycaft1 wrote:I don't get the "smaller class size = better chances" argument. I thought it was beneficial to be in the top X% of your class, so no matter how big one's class size is, one's chances of ending up in that top X% shouldn't change. Am I missing something?

I imagine that a firm would be forced to go deeper if there are fewer kids in the target %. Could be wrong.

ETA: 0L

Another edit: I guess that only applies when comparing year to year changes at one school, not when comparing two different schools with historically different class sizes.
Last edited by KingFish on Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:24 pm

If you want to be in New York, just go to NYU man. It is pretty straight forward if money is equal.

delusional

Postby delusional » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:27 pm

thelawyler wrote:If you want to be in New York, just go to NYU man. It is pretty straight forward if money is equal.
Yeah, and all the ancillary stuff will be better there too. If you want to "network" or set up an informational interview with a firm you're interested in, you'll already be there.

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:31 pm

Smaller class size means fewer students seeking the same spot. It isn't rocket science. Don't get so hung up on percentages, hiring is not a cut and dried, if you get these grades you will get this job formula. Firms want people from different schools. ( yes there are GPA cutoffs but still)

I don't know, you guys are going a little too crazy trying to figure out every tiny on paper advantage. NYU and Chicago are two very different schools in terms of culture and location. Go to the one you want. Or go to the location that works better for you.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:37 pm

WhereAndWhy wrote:Any idea on which ultimately has better prospects for NYC Big Law? Let's assume that Chicago also gives $50k and financials are equal.

NYU is better for NYC big law. this should be clear to you. Uchicago will be better in the midwest. the only school with potentially better prospects in new york would be columbia. If you really want NYC big law go to NYU; from what I've heard from attorneys in NYC, even Cornell will probably have just as many ins as Chicago there

edit: of course, with a uchicago law degree you could still get a job in new york, or any state for that matter. so in the end, go to the school you like most, but if you already know you are determined to work in new york after law school, then NYU is your clear choice.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:54 pm

It's too early for this discussion. Assuming they have an equal cost, Chicago generally does better in the NLJ+fed clerk department and thus I would vote for it in that situation. That being said, you don't have all of the information you need to make this decision yet.

WhereAndWhy

Postby WhereAndWhy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:08 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:It's too early for this discussion. Assuming they have an equal cost, Chicago generally does better in the NLJ+fed clerk department and thus I would vote for it in that situation. That being said, you don't have all of the information you need to make this decision yet.

Thanks. I recognize that I don't have full information on the financials yet, however, enrollment deadlines are fast approaching and so I would like to get a handle on the logic behind an eventual decision now. In the long run, $50k is a minute difference if there are potentially differing career prospects in the NYC market. There isn't much info out there on Chicago placement prospects in NYC versus schools such as Columbia and NYU - this is why I'm asking for advice.

pastapplicant

Postby pastapplicant » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:14 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:It's too early for this discussion. Assuming they have an equal cost, Chicago generally does better in the NLJ+fed clerk department and thus I would vote for it in that situation. That being said, you don't have all of the information you need to make this decision yet.

brah, you go to Tulane.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:16 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

NYU is better for NYC big law. this should be clear to you. Uchicago will be better in the midwest. the only school with potentially better prospects in new york would be columbia. If you really want NYC big law go to NYU; from what I've heard from attorneys in NYC, even Cornell will probably have just as many ins as Chicago there

edit: of course, with a uchicago law degree you could still get a job in new york, or any state for that matter. so in the end, go to the school you like most, but if you already know you are determined to work in new york after law school, then NYU is your clear choice.

(is in at NYU; app still pending at UChi)

guano

Postby guano » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:18 pm

john7234797 wrote:If you want NYC then go to the law school in NYC since all else is equal.

Edit: more NY offices interview at NYU than Chicago. There are more reasons, but, the simple answer is that both can get you biglaw, NYU places more in NYC, while Chicago places more in Chicago

NYstate

Postby NYstate » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:29 pm

guano wrote:
john7234797 wrote:If you want NYC then go to the law school in NYC since all else is equal.

Edit: more NY offices interview at NYU than Chicago. There are more reasons, but, the simple answer is that both can get you biglaw, NYU places more in NYC, while Chicago places more in Chicago

I'm sure there is self- selection going on there.

I don't know what to tell you OP. I'm starting to feel stupid for even posting in this thread. See how much it will cost. they are both insanely expensive. Just do what you want.

( waiting for a ties discussion to start ITT so I can feel really stupid)

Elston Gunn

Postby Elston Gunn » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:32 pm

jbagelboy wrote:

NYU is better for NYC big law. this should be clear to you. Uchicago will be better in the midwest. the only school with potentially better prospects in new york would be columbia. If you really want NYC big law go to NYU; from what I've heard from attorneys in NYC, even Cornell will probably have just as many ins as Chicago there.

lol

banjo

Postby banjo » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:03 pm

WhereAndWhy wrote:Hi All,

Need some advice on where to attend out of the two.

I've been admitted to both ($50k total scholarship from NYU and will be receiving scholarship info from Chicago in the next week or so and expect about the same or slightly more from Chicago). Even if I receive $0 from Chicago, I believe career prospects are ultimately much more important than the relatively small savings I expect to receive from scholarships and cost of living differences. Therefore, please ignore the financial aspect of this decision.

The primary concern relates to job prospects for Big Law in the New York City market after graduation. I have read that Chicago may have an advantage over NYU due to a smaller class size and a smaller number of students seeking big law in the NYC market. However, I have also read that NYU has an advantage over Chicago due to more extensive connections with NYC law firms. Assuming that both arguments are true, which holds more weight and why? Any other factors to consider here?

Thanks in advance.

I had a similar question a couple weeks ago. These assumptions are questionable, and even if we hold that they are true, there is no data anywhere to figure out which holds more weight. The anecdotal evidence, where available, cuts both ways.

Personally, if I were independently wealthy, I would go with Chicago. I perceive it to be a bit more prestigious among lawyers and educated laypeople. On the other hand, NYU has a less stressful 1L schedule and you can't beat downtown Manhattan.

Xifeng

Postby Xifeng » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:05 pm

There are a ton of NYC firms that come to UChicago OCI, and a lot of my classmates got NYC biglaw. PM me if you have more specific questions, but it really shouldn't be a concern if you come to UChicago.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”