Help me calculate COL

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
fallingup

Help me calculate COL

Postby fallingup » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:17 pm

What all do you factor in? Rent, utilities, food, clothing, transportation, medical bills, leisure and entertainment, anything else? I'm having a hard time calculating COL. What's yours? (Obviously the exact numbers will differ by city.)

BigZuck

Re: Help me calculate COL

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:21 pm

fallingup wrote:What all do you factor in? Rent, utilities, food, clothing, transportation, medical bills, leisure and entertainment, anything else? I'm having a hard time calculating COL. What's yours? (Obviously the exact numbers will differ by city.)

Total cost of attendance minus tuition and fees.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:32 pm

I'd like to know the breakdown. Where I am going to law school I won't be paying rent/utilities so I'm trying to figure out what portion of the COA actually applies to me.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:36 pm

fallingup wrote:I'd like to know the breakdown. Where I am going to law school I won't be paying rent/utilities so I'm trying to figure out what portion of the COA actually applies to me.

Total cost of attendance minus tuition and fees and rent and utilities.

BlueJeanBaby

Postby BlueJeanBaby » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:40 pm

It depends on what you have to pay for. I, for example, have a mortgage, car payment, car insurance, cell phone bill, two credit card payments, on top of my rent, utilities, transportation, and food. It also depends on what you spend per month on food and gas. I personally give myself $450 per month for those expenses. You will not have any other sources of income (well, I assume you won't) so you need to just make sure that all of your expenses are taken care of. I also include a "books and supplements" allowance into my calculation so that I can purchase extra materials for class if needed.

fallingup

Postby fallingup » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:48 pm

BigZuck wrote:
fallingup wrote:I'd like to know the breakdown. Where I am going to law school I won't be paying rent/utilities so I'm trying to figure out what portion of the COA actually applies to me.

Do you have any suggestions on how to calculate what portion rent and utilities would be? I feel like I'm missing something.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:21 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Lol.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”