Mn, Iowa, Alabama or Georgetown

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigZuck

Re: Mn, Iowa, Alabama or Georgetown

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:07 pm

K Rock wrote:
BigZuck wrote:
Nova wrote:You should look into that further, ASAP, OP.

Also you should not have a Minnesota drivers liscense according to what it says at the bottom of this page: http://www.dot.nd.gov/divisions/drivers ... dlinfo.htm

How do you know OP is not a student? And why do you give a shit if he has the right license?

I assumed that since college is typically 4 years the fact that the OP has been living and working there for the past 5 might have meant that she has been out of school for at least a little bit of time. Maybe that's not the case.

And I don't really care what state she has her liscense in (although hooking a sister up with info that might get her out of a ticketable offense seems like a decent thing to do), my point was that just saying she lives in Minnesota (not true) and holding on to a driver's license that should have been surrendered some time ago probably won't be sufficient to convince the University of Minnesota that she is a resident of that state.

You're absolutely right though, I probably assumed too much, she very well could be a student. I assumed she went to college in North Dakota and has been working full time to support herself since then. And you know what happens when you assume.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:11 pm

deputydog wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

Also you should not have a Minnesota drivers liscense according to what it says at the bottom of this page: http://www.dot.nd.gov/divisions/drivers ... dlinfo.htm

Square.

:D

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:03 am

DportIA wrote:GULC too much debt. Alabama, people in the Midwest would respond "what?"

Then just respond with ROLL TIDE!

I'd probably go with Iowa, assuming you are comfortable with living and practicing in Iowa. Not that MN is completely a bad deal, but it doesn't seem like you prefer any place over the other and Iowa will leave you with less debt.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:06 am

deadpanic wrote:
DportIA wrote:GULC too much debt. Alabama, people in the Midwest would respond "what?"

Then just respond with ROLL TIDE!

Just say you're on the same level as all those Alabama country bumpkins who support Bama but no one in their family has gone to college much less Bama

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:13 am

BigZuck wrote:
K Rock wrote:
BigZuck wrote:

How do you know OP is not a student? And why do you give a shit if he has the right license?

I assumed that since college is typically 4 years the fact that the OP has been living and working there for the past 5 might have meant that she has been out of school for at least a little bit of time. Maybe that's not the case.

And I don't really care what state she has her liscense in (although hooking a sister up with info that might get her out of a ticketable offense seems like a decent thing to do), my point was that just saying she lives in Minnesota (not true) and holding on to a driver's license that should have been surrendered some time ago probably won't be sufficient to convince the University of Minnesota that she is a resident of that state.

You're absolutely right though, I probably assumed too much, she very well could be a student. I assumed she went to college in North Dakota and has been working full time to support herself since then. And you know what happens when you assume.

Yeah - I would think that unless MN had a policy about your parents/family living in the state and you being able to claim residency, she would have to be OOS. I thought she was working in North Dakota.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:32 pm

What would the total cost of UMN be? Are you sure you're a resident?

If its cheap enough, I'd take UMN, but I think Iowa for free would be a very solid choice for someone from the Dakotas/MN who wants to stay in the Midwest. It's the hands-down winner at this point.

ProspectiveStudent69

Postby ProspectiveStudent69 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:41 pm

Go to Iowa... the end

Informative

Postby Informative » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:37 am

Which one of these is not like the other?

Minnesota, Iowa and Alabama aren't even top 25 schools.
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNL ... 0222113227

Go to Georgetown and don't look back. LOL at Alabama and Iowa even being considered.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:53 am

Informative wrote:Which one of these is not like the other?

Go to Georgetown and don't look back. LOL at Alabama and Iowa even being considered.

Georgetown at sticker (or close to it) is an objectively terrible investment decision. Like a 40% chance at biglaw/clerkship? And even if you land biglaw, you're 200-250k in the hole... good luck paying that debt back. This is bad advice. OP should go to UMN or maybe Iowa.

reyals

Postby reyals » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Informative wrote:Which one of these is not like the other?

Georgetown at sticker (or close to it) is an objectively terrible investment decision. Like a 40% chance at biglaw/clerkship? And even if you land biglaw, you're 200-250k in the hole... good luck paying that debt back. This is bad advice. OP should go to UMN or maybe Iowa.

When you quit your big law job 2 years in, you'll be very unhappy.

llachans

Postby llachans » Fri Mar 22, 2013 12:21 pm

Your decision should be between MN and Iowa. Throw out the other two.

grinnell

Postby grinnell » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:05 pm

BigZuck wrote:
poundcr wrote:I'm fairly sure I've held onto my MN residency. I'll be claiming my Dad's address and I still have my MN license.

And yeah, 20K per year. Their tuition last year was about $36,800 last year for 1st year so it's like a $16,000 deficit.

If you are not a resident of the state of Minnesota then you are not a Minnesota resident.

Minnesota has in-state tuition reciprocity with North Dakota residents, the father's address, current address thing is a completely moot point.
http://www.admissions.tc.umn.edu/PDFs/N ... rocity.pdf

Return to “Choosing a Law School”