Mn, Iowa, Alabama or Georgetown

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
poundcr

Mn, Iowa, Alabama or Georgetown

Postby poundcr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:54 am

Iowa and Alabama are both offering full-tuition, with Alabama adding a $1,200 book stipend. MN is offering 20K. Georgetown may or may not be offering some kind of merit scholarship- I should know in the next week or so.

Since the rankings change so much with US Weekly, what school actually has the best reputation out of MN, Iowa, and Alabama - keeping the $$ in mind.

Thanks!

Grazzhoppa

Re: Mn, Iowa, Alabama or Georgetown

Postby Grazzhoppa » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:55 am

best rep out of those 3- MN. Where do you want to practice?

poundcr

Postby poundcr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:57 am

Generally I want to come back to the Midwest somewhere. Right now I'm in Fargo, ND but I'm not married to it. Just generally Midwest. I also know that the cost of living in Minneapolis is a lot higher than Tuscaloosa and Iowa City.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:03 am

Of all those choices Minnesota sounds like your best bet but probably still too expensive. Haven't really looked at Iowa versus Minnesota so maybe Iowa is the best option? I bet Minnesota is more portable however. Bama and Georgetown (most likely) are out I think.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:07 am

The first three are regional schools. I would only attend one of them if you are from the region. Minn, for example, won't help you much if you want to practice on Texas, etc. Georgetown is very risky at sticker. I think it would take 30k or so from GULC for it to even be in the running.

letsjustsee

Postby letsjustsee » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:10 am

Last edited by letsjustsee on Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:15 am

USNWR rankings don't matter bro

GULC and Minn are waaaay too expensive. No way

Don't go to Bama if you're not from there

Where are you from/have significant ties and where do you want to work specifically

poundcr

Postby poundcr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanks for the replies so quickly! I'm freaking out a bit as everything comes down to it.

I'm from a tiny town in MN, though I've lived in Fargo for the last 5 or so years for undergrad and the job I got after. The only reason I applied to Alabama in the first place is because my sister lives there.

I don't have a specific destination in mind for after graduation, just Midwest because my whole family is here. If I end up with the guy I'm dating now I'd be willing to come back to Fargo, but I'm not sure that's really going to happen so I don't want to count on it.

Deposits are coming due soon. Alabama $100, Iowa $250 both on April 1st. MN $750 on April 15th.

I've heard a lot that the rankings don't matter, but I'm not sure how to figure out what school actually has the best reputation and most portability should I decide to go out of the Midwest as life seems to change a lot. If not by those stupid rankings, what am I supposed to go off of?

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:03 pm

poundcr wrote:I've heard a lot that the rankings don't matter, but I'm not sure how to figure out what school actually has the best reputation and most portability should I decide to go out of the Midwest as life seems to change a lot. If not by those stupid rankings, what am I supposed to go off of?

None of the schools you are considering will take you far outside their target markets, with the exception of GULC. However, GULC is way too expensive at the price you will be paying (don't expect much if you only got $20k from UMN).

Full tuition at Iowa or 'Bama are much better options, as long as you are ok never leaving their respective states.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:10 pm

Iowa typically has very harsh scholarship stipulations. If your full-ride is conditional on anything other than good academic standing, don't go there.

WokeUpInACar

Postby WokeUpInACar » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:14 pm

Tiago Splitter wrote:Iowa typically has very harsh scholarship stipulations. If your full-ride is conditional on anything other than good academic standing, don't go there.

They dropped ALL the stips on their scholarships this year actually. I'd probably go to Iowa OP, as long as you're fine with staying in the area. Or if you can get more $ from Minn that might be a better option.

poundcr

Postby poundcr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:28 pm

I've tried negotiating with both MN and Iowa, neither seem to be at all keen on it. Not sure why.

It's not so much that I want to stay in Iowa, but it seems like I'd have a way better chance of getting a job in the Midwest somewhere and not getting stuck in Alabama.

Tiago Splitter

Postby Tiago Splitter » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:34 pm

poundcr wrote:I've tried negotiating with both MN and Iowa, neither seem to be at all keen on it. Not sure why.

It's not so much that I want to stay in Iowa, but it seems like I'd have a way better chance of getting a job in the Midwest somewhere and not getting stuck in Alabama.

If they already got rid of the stips I don't know what other negotiating you can do. I doubt they'll toss in a stipend on top of a full ride. Given your options and desire to work in the midwest I'd go to Iowa.

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:43 pm

Minnesota is the best of the three, but it's way too expensive at what is almost sticker price. Choose your favorite between Iowa and Alabama. Alabama has done well lately and places pretty well within the state, but a degree there isn't going to take you anywhere else. Make sure you know what you're getting into before you choose either.

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:57 pm

Are you in-state for Minn?

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:08 pm

OP, do you mean 20k per year at UMN?

GULC sticker and Alabama when you dont want to live in Alabama long term should be out of the picture.

poundcr

Postby poundcr » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:13 pm

I'm fairly sure I've held onto my MN residency. I'll be claiming my Dad's address and I still have my MN license.

And yeah, 20K per year. Their tuition last year was about $36,800 last year for 1st year so it's like a $16,000 deficit.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:27 pm

poundcr wrote:I'm fairly sure I've held onto my MN residency. I'll be claiming my Dad's address and I still have my MN license.

And yeah, 20K per year. Their tuition last year was about $36,800 last year for 1st year so it's like a $16,000 deficit.

If you are not a resident of the state of Minnesota then you are not a Minnesota resident.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:44 pm

You should look into that further, ASAP, OP.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:17 pm

Nova wrote:You should look into that further, ASAP, OP.

Also you should not have a Minnesota drivers liscense according to what it says at the bottom of this page: http://www.dot.nd.gov/divisions/drivers ... dlinfo.htm

K Rock

Postby K Rock » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:15 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Also you should not have a Minnesota drivers liscense according to what it says at the bottom of this page: http://www.dot.nd.gov/divisions/drivers ... dlinfo.htm

How do you know OP is not a student? And why do you give a shit if he has the right license?

Postby 052220151 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:30 pm

Go to Iowa.

Postby 052220151 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:31 pm

BigZuck wrote:

Square.

jbagelboy

Postby jbagelboy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:48 pm

deputydog wrote:Go to Iowa.

Depends on what you want to do OP, but I'm going to go ahead just because debate breeds new solutions and say go to Minnesota if you want to have greatest chances to practice in the midwest, although that will most likely mean twin cities or Wisconsin (obviously not des moines). If debt is a make or break concern for you, then take your full ride at Iowa, but if you are willing to pay off some debt, minnesota is a more prestigious school with better profs, a larger network, solid connections, ect; as far as residency, even if you miss out your 1L, if your dad lives in MN you can easily reclaim it your next two years.

disclaimer: I went to minnesota's asw, I have friends & family there, and I know nothing about Iowa, so I'm clearly biased, but the choice would be easy for me.

DportIA

Postby DportIA » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:02 pm

I am an Iowa 1L working at a MSP "big law" this summer. I think Iowa would be a great option. Being from eastern ND, you will always have the option of returning to Minnesota no matter where you go to school (whether in a large or small firm based on the quality of your law school and your grades). That being said, all of the large MSP firms recruit Iowa and have lots of Iowa alumni. The debt load cannot be argued, either.

GULC too much debt. Alabama, people in the Midwest would respond "what?"

Return to “Choosing a Law School”