Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
quakeroats

Silver
Posts: 1397
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby quakeroats » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:10 pm


Davidbentley

Bronze
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby Davidbentley » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Gracias.

User avatar
megagnarley

Bronze
Posts: 497
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:58 am

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby megagnarley » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:15 pm

Translation?

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o

Bronze
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:05 pm

interesting. But statistically not a function of the entire legal landscape. Exactly which firms were polled? What range? Vault? NLJ250? Only the top 50 firms?

Cool report though.

User avatar
Bronck

Gold
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby Bronck » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:08 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:interesting. But statistically not a function of the entire legal landscape. Exactly which firms were polled? What range? Vault? NLJ250? Only the top 50 firms?

Cool report though.


According to their webpage: "Each quarter about 150 firms representing all regions, Am Law 100 and 2nd 100, and non-Am Law ranked firms participate."

https://www.privatebank.citibank.com/ou ... _watch.htm

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o

Bronze
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:18 pm

Bronck wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:interesting. But statistically not a function of the entire legal landscape. Exactly which firms were polled? What range? Vault? NLJ250? Only the top 50 firms?

Cool report though.


According to their webpage: "Each quarter about 150 firms representing all regions, Am Law 100 and 2nd 100, and non-Am Law ranked firms participate."

https://www.privatebank.citibank.com/ou ... _watch.htm


Nice scoop. Thanx!

table3

New
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun May 13, 2012 12:21 pm

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby table3 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:14 pm

Anyone want to take a gander at how the "Lawyer Hiring Indices" will relate to C/O '12 and '13 job placement, viz-a-viz their relation to the C/O '11 job placement that we all go off of?

NYstate

Gold
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby NYstate » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:20 pm

table3 wrote:Anyone want to take a gander at how the "Lawyer Hiring Indices" will relate to C/O '12 and '13 job placement, viz-a-viz their relation to the C/O '11 job placement that we all go off of?

Lower? Lower or flat is what some have reported .

User avatar
badluckbilly

New
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:32 am

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby badluckbilly » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Logo in the upper left corner = Eye of Sauron.

User avatar
md22

Bronze
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby md22 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:22 am

Interesting. What caused the upward trend of the recovery following the Great Recession to stop? Hiring confidence has been trending downward since Q4 2010 it appears...

User avatar
bowser

Bronze
Posts: 238
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 am

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby bowser » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:30 am

table3 wrote:Anyone want to take a gander at how the "Lawyer Hiring Indices" will relate to C/O '12 and '13 job placement, viz-a-viz their relation to the C/O '11 job placement that we all go off of?


If you believe TLS, we already know, at least in terms of OCI: uptick for c/o 2012; surprisingly large uptick for c/o 2013; slight drop-off for c/o 2014. More significant recovery at T-14 than others.

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o

Bronze
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:15 am

md22 wrote:Interesting. What caused the upward trend of the recovery following the Great Recession to stop? Hiring confidence has been trending downward since Q4 2010 it appears...


That's easy. Congress

NYstate

Gold
Posts: 1565
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:44 am

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby NYstate » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:03 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
md22 wrote:Interesting. What caused the upward trend of the recovery following the Great Recession to stop? Hiring confidence has been trending downward since Q4 2010 it appears...


That's easy. Congress


Have you read any of the recent articles on the changing nature of biglaw? The pressure to keep costs down, etc. look for the citi reports that spell this trend out.

Davidbentley

Bronze
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:49 am

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby Davidbentley » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:07 am

It's a new normal. There is no there to return to. Without some secular expansion in the demand for legal services, Big Law will be under significant cost pressure. Like the airlines.

User avatar
J-e-L-L-o

Bronze
Posts: 418
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:52 am

NYstate wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:
md22 wrote:Interesting. What caused the upward trend of the recovery following the Great Recession to stop? Hiring confidence has been trending downward since Q4 2010 it appears...


That's easy. Congress


Have you read any of the recent articles on the changing nature of biglaw? The pressure to keep costs down, etc. look for the citi reports that spell this trend out.


Have you looked at the chart? Notice the dips on the way to recovery? Guess what caused those dips. Those are specific points in time my friend. The demand tracks nicely with business conditions and especially the economy at large with major decreases mid 2010 and 2011.

User avatar
Robespierre

Silver
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:02 pm

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby Robespierre » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:27 am

What's "FTE" in the legal hiring chart?

rad lulz

Platinum
Posts: 9816
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:32 am

Robespierre wrote:What's "FTE" in the legal hiring chart?

Probably "full time employment"

User avatar
md22

Bronze
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Re: Managing partner poll on associate hiring trends

Postby md22 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:58 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
NYstate wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:
md22 wrote:Interesting. What caused the upward trend of the recovery following the Great Recession to stop? Hiring confidence has been trending downward since Q4 2010 it appears...


That's easy. Congress


Have you read any of the recent articles on the changing nature of biglaw? The pressure to keep costs down, etc. look for the citi reports that spell this trend out.


Have you looked at the chart? Notice the dips on the way to recovery? Guess what caused those dips. Those are specific points in time my friend. The demand tracks nicely with business conditions and especially the economy at large with major decreases mid 2010 and 2011.


I tend to agree. Confidence was rising until Q2 2010 where it dipped, rose slightly again above 150, and has been trending downward ever since. According to the survey answers, however, a large portion of partners believe that things are basically staying the same. Only a small percentage see things worsening. The chart would suggest otherwise, no?



Return to “Choosing a Law School�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests