Returning to Home State After LS

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
nickb285

Returning to Home State After LS

Postby nickb285 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:14 pm

Last edited by nickb285 on Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Re: Returning to Home State After LS

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:32 pm

nickb285 wrote: I know that going out of state will make getting a job in SLC more difficult, but how much more difficult?

No idea, but it's TLS so I'll give it a whirl. You are obviously making it harder on yourself by not attending U of Utah. However, going to the U isn't some magic bean for employment in Utah, it just makes it easier because instead of spending 3 summers in Utah you can spend three full years. You have exponentially more chances to create legal connections.

That said, Arizona, ASU, and CU all have good reputations in Utah, and all three have alums who are willing to help you. Several of us here (CU) have noticed that alums in our home state always return our emails. I think it is because, for example, there are only four CU alums on Martindale from my home state, so they feel both excited to talk to someone about the ol days and a sense of obligation to help out. Not the best case scenario, but not impossible. I actually just got a post-grad employment employment/clerkship/sortof offer from another state with the assistance of a CU alum.

Anyway. I have no idea what I'm talking about. I think the problem with your question is that no one has a ton of personal experience with getting out-of-state jobs from non-T14s, and even if they did they wouldn't be able to intelligently provide pros and cons regarding what their situation would have been had they gone to the local school. I would just go to Utah. If not maybe pay your deposit at more than one school and keep waiting for a better deal, and/or decide you might like working in Arizona/Colorado as a fall back plan.

nickb285

Re: Returning to Home State After LS

Postby nickb285 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:28 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”