Berkeley vs. Georgetown (difficult decision!)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Berkeley or Georgetown

Berkeley
88%
Georgetown
12%

Total votes: 69

whosonfirst

Re: Berkeley vs. Georgetown (difficult decision!)

Postby whosonfirst » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:00 pm

monathenomad wrote:I would like to work on legal policy(WTO would be a dream or an equivalent domestic org in either the U.S. or China) but I heard that having extensive experience in a field outside of government (ie law) would help in securing a more high-level job in the policy field.

Who did you hear this from? Are they a reliable source or is this just anecdotal information?

My real question is, have you tried for any of these policy jobs with your current resume? It seems wasteful to spend three years getting a law degree just to jump a few ladder rungs in the policy arena. If this is really the kind of work you're interested in, and you really don't care about salary, getting a low-level job and working your way up in those same three years will be far more satisfying. Plus, your resume will have extremely relevant experience. You could even decide after those three years to pursue a law degree then. I just don't understand why you'd go get a degree now if you possibly haven't even tried for the job you really want. You could be qualified right now.

HankBashir

Postby HankBashir » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:43 pm

If you just want to do policy work, it might be better for you to get a MA in International Relations or something similar. I know Georgetown's School of Foreign Service has a Master's of Asian Studies that might be of interest. Tufts has their school of Law and Diplomacy, etc. Quicker and cheaper and it seems like more relevant to your interests.

monathenomad

Postby monathenomad » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:11 am

I think I might need some time to reevaluate my career goals and how law school will contribute to them. I might try to find some people who have gone through a similar experience and are at a place I want to be in the future.
Thank you everyone for your input! And best of luck to my fellow fall 2013 applicants :)

Return to “Choosing a Law School”