Please, Just Don't Go

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ManoftheHour

Re: Please, Just Don't Go

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:46 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
akasabian wrote:
kappycaft1 wrote:lol

90% of posts by him are negative, nice.

damn i'm not even THAT negative

lol

ExBiglawAssociate

Postby ExBiglawAssociate » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:54 pm

But a law degree opens so many doors!

rwilson37643

Postby rwilson37643 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:07 pm

I'm really getting sick of the doom and gloom posts. Yes, the job market is tough. That must be considered when deciding whether or not to pursue a law degree. But not everyone is aiming for biglaw, basing their decision solely on the pursuit of money, or going in blind. Many, including yours truly, have plans that we believe will lead to a comfortable living with a manageable debt load. I may not start off making six figures, hell I may never make six figures, but 50 -60 k per year with 45k in student loan debt while doing something that I am passionate about sounds pretty good to me. Especially when you consider that despite all the doom and gloom about the job market, the numbers five years post law school are pretty good. The decision to go to law school is a big life altering decision that should not be taken lightly, but just because others, after doing their due diligence, have made a different decision than you does not mean that they are stupid or ill informed.

Ded Precedent

Postby Ded Precedent » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:17 pm

rwilson37643 wrote:I'm really getting sick of the doom and gloom posts. Yes, the job market is tough. That must be considered when deciding whether or not to pursue a law degree. But not everyone is aiming for biglaw, basing their decision solely on the pursuit of money, or going in blind. Many, including yours truly, have plans that we believe will lead to a comfortable living with a manageable debt load. I may not start off making six figures, hell I may never make six figures, but 50 -60 k per year with 45k in student loan debt while doing something that I am passionate about sounds pretty good to me. Especially when you consider that despite all the doom and gloom about the job market, the numbers five years post law school are pretty good. The decision to go to law school is a big life altering decision that should not be taken lightly, but just because others, after doing their due diligence, have made a different decision than you does not mean that they are stupid or ill informed.

Over half of those going to law school won't get a JD required job so it's still pretty hard to overstate how terrible a decision it is to go to law school for most people.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:22 pm

If what OP meant to say was that the state of the legal profession is rather precarious right now, and that many, many law school graduates are unable to find a full-time job in the legal profession upon graduation, so thus applicants should be more mindful and wary when making $150k +3 yr commitments and should instead do their due diligence, then yeah sure, good post! lol

Maybe not too useful though as I imagine those who frequent TLS are also the ones who are more likely to do their due diligence in the first place. The other 95% that may go to a TTT w/ a partial scholarship that has a top 30% stipulation, borrow the whole $100k or so to do it, and don't even want to work in the nearby geographic area...are the ones I imagine that do not come onto a site like TLS to see if they are making a smart investment/life decision.

DoubleChecks

Postby DoubleChecks » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:27 pm

rwilson37643 wrote:I'm really getting sick of the doom and gloom posts. Yes, the job market is tough. That must be considered when deciding whether or not to pursue a law degree. But not everyone is aiming for biglaw, basing their decision solely on the pursuit of money, or going in blind. Many, including yours truly, have plans that we believe will lead to a comfortable living with a manageable debt load. I may not start off making six figures, hell I may never make six figures, but 50 -60 k per year with 45k in student loan debt while doing something that I am passionate about sounds pretty good to me. Especially when you consider that despite all the doom and gloom about the job market, the numbers five years post law school are pretty good. The decision to go to law school is a big life altering decision that should not be taken lightly, but just because others, after doing their due diligence, have made a different decision than you does not mean that they are stupid or ill informed.

You'd fall into the exception...outside of his broad, blanket statement. Having only 45k in debt upon graduation is pretty good, esp. if you can get a job that pays 45k or something. That isn't always easy to do. As the poster above me mentioned, about half of law school graduates do not work in the legal field full-time after graduating. That is a waste of money and time (3 yrs worth that you could have been doing something else). Law tends to be a bit bi-modal too in its pay structure, where there just aren't as many say 80k jobs as people would think.

Numbers five years post law school are misleading because those are the numbers for the ones that have succeeded in entering the legal field and sticking around for 5 yrs. It is a self-selected successful group, so of course the numbers are better. If the 60% of their peers who couldn't crack it were accounted for, the results would be much more dismal. But you are right that a lot of the times, it comes down to alternatives as well. If your only other alternative is working at McDonalds, maybe the local law school w/ some scholly + grade cutoff is still a better decision (maybe). Blanket statements never work for everyone, but it is only trying to capture a general sentiment.

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:54 pm

cooldude87 wrote:P.S I was about to start law school last August but postponed. I was pretty sure I was going to attend this time around but have decided even with a full ride to some good schools, it's not worth it.

Mind sharing which schools gave you a full ride?

I for one think it's fantastic that you don't think going to law school is worth it. One less person to compete with for a jerb.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:23 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:I for one think it's fantastic that you don't think going to law school is worth it. One less person to compete with for a jerb.

Keasbey

Postby Keasbey » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Don't feed the troll.

holdencaulfield

Postby holdencaulfield » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:37 am

akasabian wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206231

Lol

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:34 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:
akasabian wrote:

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=206231

Lol

This guy needs to get banned from TLS. What a troll.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”