Best medium/small markets with no ties

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dabbadon8

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby dabbadon8 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:48 pm

I believe this is relevant to this thread...

--ImageRemoved--

On topic, your ties are as strong as your narrative. Easier to have a stronger narrative with strong ties, but still can have a good narrative without strong ties if you do your homework.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:07 pm

Justin, I agree, which is why I told 0L paralegal to post more earlier today. When they have valuable insight, their input is greatly appreciated. But when its just general platitudes, not so much.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:12 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:On topic, your ties are as strong as your narrative. Easier to have a stronger narrative with strong ties, but still can have a good narrative without strong ties if you do your homework.

No matter how much homework you do, you're gonna have a hard time saying why you want to not only start your career but grow a practice in, say, Jacksonville, FL.

No, "I like the beach" is not a compelling reason.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:19 pm

Justin Genious wrote:I couldn't tell you; but what I do know is the hard statistics that the ABA releases each year and it's a hella lot better than anecdotal postings by TLS users.

I find that anecdotes and insights from on the ground people can give better color to some of the employment stats

ex. 1: I told some d00d from MS he should go to my school (even though it was expensive) because he was from MS and I know MS firms would recruit him hard.

ex. 2: If you look at the stats of a school and it's like 45% get biglaw/clerkships, you might be like "Oh cool, so I have a legit shot from median." What it actually might look like at OCI is the top 1/3 get jobs, and below that, you need something else to make you stand out (WE, being black, being gay, IP, LR, being from MS, etc.). This is not something that's obvious.

There are more, but this isn't stuff you can tell from stats

This is where 2Ls come in handy

1Ls are somewhat more useful but getting a 1L jerb is somewhat of a joke

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:26 pm

romothesavior wrote:Rad and I agree on most things, and we're buddies both here and IRL, and we post in a lot of the same threads, but we have pretty different posting styles. I usually write out pretty thorough responses even when its something that's been beaten to death. I remember what it was like to be a 1L. I remember after my first post being ecstatic about getting a good enough LSAT just to get into SLU. I try to be respectful so long as people arent assholes. And rad and I don't always agree.

I guess I just don't think the criticisms of me/us are all that fair. Go take a random sample of my posts in the Choosing forum and tell me I'm being irrational, rude, or arrogant. Or bk. Or grimes. Or most of the "megaposters." Thankfully, for every person bitching about how awful we are, there are five who are sending PMs and posting about how thankful they are that TLS is what it is.

This isn't really directed at anyone, just a general reaction to the meta discussion of the TLS community.

I would say that, without a doubt, you, rickgrimes, and rad are consistently three of the rudest posters on this site. Since you're asking about yourself, remember yesterday when you called a kid in a choosing thread an asshole? Not saying you were wrong, but that wasn't particularly polite. Or how about earlier in this thread where you literally wished someone would die? But of course neither of those are random samplings so maybe those don't count.

Arrogant oftentimes as well. Rad's whole lawschoolnumbers schtick is "haha what an idiot, stop it noob, you don't know anything and you're wasting my precious time" but he does it in a way that if called out on it he can say "What, I was just giving them a resource!" It's quite clever actually and consistently amusing.

As for you guys being irrational? Virtually never.

None of this bothers me because I almost always agree with you guys and I find it entertaining but I could see why others don't like it.

Skye

Postby Skye » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:02 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:OCI hiring accounts for around 2% of all legal hiring. ,

Granted, I only read about 2 pages of this thread (at that point the zombie mega-posters became too much). Your comment that only 2% of employment came from OCI had me do a double take. My guess would have been closer to 90%. So we are not on the same page, huh? :? How did you come up with that stat (or anything close to it)?

Before OCI I blanketed a long list of firms with no positive results. Zero. Not until OCI did offers materialize — ditto my cohorts. There were numerous BL firms BUT there were many mainstream mid-law and boutique firms. I had to have interviewed with a couple dozen firms (as did everyone else), so how is OCI not the primary employment source? Without OCI I might as well have skipped the fun of LS and just set fire to +$100K.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:08 pm

Skye wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:OCI hiring accounts for around 2% of all legal hiring. ,

Granted, I only read about 2 pages of this thread (at that point the mega-zombie posters became too much). Your comment that only 2% of employment came from OCI had me do a double take. My guess would have been closer to 90%. So we are not on the same page, huh? :? How did you come up with that stat (or anything close to it)?

Before OCI I blanketed a long list of firms with no positive results. Zero. Not until OCI did offers materialize — ditto my cohorts. There were numerous BL firms BUT there were many mainstream mid-law and boutique firms. I had to have interviewed with a couple dozen firms (as did everyone else), so how is OCI not the primary employment source? Without OCI I might as well have skipped the fun of LS and just set fire to +$100K.

lol

You're at a T14?

The employers apt to show up at OCI are generally prestigious big/mid/boutique firms

Those employers tend to show up mostly at well regarded (T14 schools)

There are approx. 150-odd schools where barely anyone gets those jobs

Small firms tend to not hire until late 3L year or bar passage. Many times they identify candidates through networking.

Come on dood

(Also if before OCI you just mailed a bunch of big firms in large markets, they probably didn't want to talk to you because they were going to your OCI and you could bid on them there)

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:31 pm

As fun as this has been, I think its time to lock this one.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”