Best medium/small markets with no ties

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby Nelson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
Look bro, if you don't want people to make assumptions, you should utilize your (multiple) opportunities to clarify your point instead of being an asshole. Which, I'd like to point out, you have yet to do - I still don't even know what you actually think other than that you disagree with everyone else for no apparent reason.

My post clearly stated the completely reasonable proposition that ties play a role in obtaining a job in a small market. You struck it through without any additional explanation whatsoever. It's a pretty reasonable assumption that striking through someone's entire post indicates disagreement - if that wasn't what you were expressing, you should probably work on your communication skills.

Also, if anybody's being a dickhead in this thread, it's you. I've spent far more time than you deserve trying to spell out what most people with experience consider to be a relatively obvious concept: that ties matter, and lack of ties puts you at a disadvantage in local markets. If you agree with that proposition, great; if not, either present a legitimate counter-argument or shut up and stop posting.


Yeah ties matter. If you go to a top school people will be especially weary of your "why I want to work in X state" story. I also have "experience." Early 30's, 2L here, real grown up jobs in several states. The arg/what I think has been stated over and over-- maybe you haven't read the thread very closely. If not, no big deal, I'm guilty of the same all the time. Basically, "ties" are overstated in threads re: regional schools. Many posters strait up maintain that moving across the county to attend a regional school with result in unemployment. These people are often 0Ls repeating what Rad has said. Rad is probably early twenties. Surely a smart dood and probably fun to have a beer with, but he has never attended a regional school and has probably, just a guess, never maintained a professional job. Yet he posts 20 time a day (on the Rad Lulz account) often regarding "ties." He is also supremely confident. Romo has adopted Rad's schtick (credit to Romo for that echo..). Probably a great dude, very funny, but same critique. He posts 15 times a day and has over 18000 posts. Not an expert on much. What 24 year old is? But maybe if he spent less time "poasting" and more time critically thinking, empathizing, attempting to hold two competing ideas in his head, he would alter his absolutism on this website.

Also I used the strike feature this time in the manner you prefer. Sorry last time I struck for a different purpose. Also sorry I was mean to you. I guess I get frustrated at all the assumptions people make online they would probably not make in real life. Sorry I took it out on you. Also sorry that I actually physically typed out "S-O-R-R-Y" in the last post when I clearly didn't mean it.

People in 1k+ post houses probably shouldn't throw stones. Your argument boils down to "listen to me I'm over 30". That doesn't hold much water. Your substantive point has been taken down so many times and not just by the two people you've decided to target in your last post. The scenario you describe, even if true in some circumstances which no one is denying, is a rare enough occurrence on TLS that it's not worth mentioning. You just enjoy being a contrarian.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:21 pm

Many posters strait up maintain that moving across the county to attend a regional school with result in unemployment. These people are often 0Ls repeating what Rad has said.

That's not what I'm saying; just keep mowin down them straw men

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:22 pm

ImNoScar wrote:On CBs (granted ive only have had 3), no one has ever asked if I volunteered. However, I have been asked if I have family in the area, where I went to high school, which specific family lives here (eg extended or immediate), where my SO lives, where she works and others that I can't recall immediately. Ties are obviously important, but I don't think volunteering is what legal employers are looking for.
Also I go to a T14 and am trying to land a secondary market, so maybe that's why I've had ties focused interviews more than others ITT.


Well the first stuff written is commonsense. Every firm should and would ask that.

And that's exactly why you've had the questions asked in more detail. If you sought out a T-14 instead of the local school (for various reasons), why would a firm think you'd want to stay? Firms have to extend significant $$$ for you.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:23 pm

Nelson wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
Look bro, if you don't want people to make assumptions, you should utilize your (multiple) opportunities to clarify your point instead of being an asshole. Which, I'd like to point out, you have yet to do - I still don't even know what you actually think other than that you disagree with everyone else for no apparent reason.

My post clearly stated the completely reasonable proposition that ties play a role in obtaining a job in a small market. You struck it through without any additional explanation whatsoever. It's a pretty reasonable assumption that striking through someone's entire post indicates disagreement - if that wasn't what you were expressing, you should probably work on your communication skills.

Also, if anybody's being a dickhead in this thread, it's you. I've spent far more time than you deserve trying to spell out what most people with experience consider to be a relatively obvious concept: that ties matter, and lack of ties puts you at a disadvantage in local markets. If you agree with that proposition, great; if not, either present a legitimate counter-argument or shut up and stop posting.


Yeah ties matter. If you go to a top school people will be especially weary of your "why I want to work in X state" story. I also have "experience." Early 30's, 2L here, real grown up jobs in several states. The arg/what I think has been stated over and over-- maybe you haven't read the thread very closely. If not, no big deal, I'm guilty of the same all the time. Basically, "ties" are overstated in threads re: regional schools. Many posters strait up maintain that moving across the county to attend a regional school with result in unemployment. These people are often 0Ls repeating what Rad has said. Rad is probably early twenties. Surely a smart dood and probably fun to have a beer with, but he has never attended a regional school and has probably, just a guess, never maintained a professional job. Yet he posts 20 time a day (on the Rad Lulz account) often regarding "ties." He is also supremely confident. Romo has adopted Rad's schtick (credit to Romo for that echo..). Probably a great dude, very funny, but same critique. He posts 15 times a day and has over 18000 posts. Not an expert on much. What 24 year old is? But maybe if he spent less time "poasting" and more time critically thinking, empathizing, attempting to hold two competing ideas in his head, he would alter his absolutism on this website.

Also I used the strike feature this time in the manner you prefer. Sorry last time I struck for a different purpose. Also sorry I was mean to you. I guess I get frustrated at all the assumptions people make online they would probably not make in real life. Sorry I took it out on you. Also sorry that I actually physically typed out "S-O-R-R-Y" in the last post when I clearly didn't mean it.

People in 1k+ post houses probably shouldn't throw stones. Your argument boils down to "listen to me I'm over 30". That doesn't hold much water. Your substantive point has been taken down so many times and not just by the two people you've decided to target in your last post. The scenario you describe, even if true in some circumstances which no one is denying, is a rare enough occurrence on TLS that it's not worth mentioning. You just enjoy being a contrarian.


People that are older know more about interviewing and how business works.

I fully sign on to what Lord has been saying about regional factors.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:24 pm

ImNoScar wrote:Also I go to a T14 and am trying to land a secondary market, so maybe that's why I've had ties focused interviews more than others ITT.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby Nelson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:25 pm

BearsGrl wrote:People that are older know more about interviewing and how business works.

You really are impossible to take seriously.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:27 pm

Nelson wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote:
Look bro, if you don't want people to make assumptions, you should utilize your (multiple) opportunities to clarify your point instead of being an asshole. Which, I'd like to point out, you have yet to do - I still don't even know what you actually think other than that you disagree with everyone else for no apparent reason.

My post clearly stated the completely reasonable proposition that ties play a role in obtaining a job in a small market. You struck it through without any additional explanation whatsoever. It's a pretty reasonable assumption that striking through someone's entire post indicates disagreement - if that wasn't what you were expressing, you should probably work on your communication skills.

Also, if anybody's being a dickhead in this thread, it's you. I've spent far more time than you deserve trying to spell out what most people with experience consider to be a relatively obvious concept: that ties matter, and lack of ties puts you at a disadvantage in local markets. If you agree with that proposition, great; if not, either present a legitimate counter-argument or shut up and stop posting.


Yeah ties matter. If you go to a top school people will be especially weary of your "why I want to work in X state" story. I also have "experience." Early 30's, 2L here, real grown up jobs in several states. The arg/what I think has been stated over and over-- maybe you haven't read the thread very closely. If not, no big deal, I'm guilty of the same all the time. Basically, "ties" are overstated in threads re: regional schools. Many posters strait up maintain that moving across the county to attend a regional school with result in unemployment. These people are often 0Ls repeating what Rad has said. Rad is probably early twenties. Surely a smart dood and probably fun to have a beer with, but he has never attended a regional school and has probably, just a guess, never maintained a professional job. Yet he posts 20 time a day (on the Rad Lulz account) often regarding "ties." He is also supremely confident. Romo has adopted Rad's schtick (credit to Romo for that echo..). Probably a great dude, very funny, but same critique. He posts 15 times a day and has over 18000 posts. Not an expert on much. What 24 year old is? But maybe if he spent less time "poasting" and more time critically thinking, empathizing, attempting to hold two competing ideas in his head, he would alter his absolutism on this website.

Also I used the strike feature this time in the manner you prefer. Sorry last time I struck for a different purpose. Also sorry I was mean to you. I guess I get frustrated at all the assumptions people make online they would probably not make in real life. Sorry I took it out on you. Also sorry that I actually physically typed out "S-O-R-R-Y" in the last post when I clearly didn't mean it.

People in 1k+ post houses probably shouldn't throw stones. Your argument boils down to "listen to me I'm over 30". That doesn't hold much water. Your substantive point has been taken down so many times and not just by the two people you've decided to target in your last post. The scenario you describe, even if true in some circumstances which no one is denying, is a rare enough occurrence on TLS that it's not worth mentioning. You just enjoy being a contrarian.


Aside from evidence from T-14 students trying to interview in secondary markets, what does your argument boil down to? Any regional school posters in "your" argument?

Also, 1000 posts is 18 times less than Romo, and god knows how many less than Rad considering all his accounts. But yes, still a fairly good point.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Nelson wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:People that are older know more about interviewing and how business works.

You really are impossible to take seriously.


I agree with both of you.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Nelson wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:People that are older know more about interviewing and how business works.

You really are impossible to take seriously.


There was no need for the -ly in that post.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:29 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
Nelson wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:People that are older know more about interviewing and how business works.

You really are impossible to take seriously.


I agree with both of you.


:lol:

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:29 pm

McDuff, what makes you think your experience at your school is applicable to other T1 schools? I'm honestly curious. You say that people at "national" schools don't understand because they don't have experience coming from a regional school. Yet you've also maintained that CU Boulder and Colorado itself are different than other places (often saying that people at Boulder aren't really looking for legal jobs). Why then can you extrapolate from your experiences attending a law school in Colorado, which you say is different, to say NM and UNM or NC and UNC, etc?

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:36 pm

bk1 wrote:McDuff, what makes you think your experience at your school is applicable to other T1 schools? I'm honestly curious. You say that people at "national" schools don't understand because they don't have experience coming from a regional school. Yet you've also maintained that CU Boulder and Colorado itself are different than other places (often saying that people at Boulder aren't really looking for legal jobs). Why then can you extrapolate from your experiences attending a law school in Colorado, which you say is different, to say NM and UNM or NC and UNC, etc?


The same rules don't apply to all schools. Take UW and Marquette. Both solid schools in their own right and within the state of WI both get considered credible. That's why there isn't going to be sufficient data on how all of these schools work for folks. However, outside of debt (a major factor) if someone is in the Midwest and has no issue with working in WI, the individual can attend either school as they're comparable.

I think that's the overall point. That ties always matter, but that each person has a different reason and using the same advice for T-14 vs. regional is not always the way to go.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:31 pm

bk1 wrote:McDuff, what makes you think your experience at your school is applicable to other T1 schools? I'm honestly curious. You say that people at "national" schools don't understand because they don't have experience coming from a regional school. Yet you've also maintained that CU Boulder and Colorado itself are different than other places (often saying that people at Boulder aren't really looking for legal jobs). Why then can you extrapolate from your experiences attending a law school in Colorado, which you say is different, to say NM and UNM or NC and UNC, etc?

+1

Its not like anything the "ties are important crew" says is that controversial or extreme. If I can summarize:

1. Ties are neither necessary or sufficient, but they're a major factor in hiring.
2. Getting a job in an area where you lack ties is more difficult than for someone with ties
3. Given the already shitty job market, ties should be a factor in trying to decide where to go and for how much to go for
4. Some markets are more insular and more difficult than others to break into.

What exactly is the point of contention here? What's the beef with us? It seems like we've bickered for 8 pages without clearly establishing where the disagreement is, if there's even one in the first place. I want to hear what it is.

Bonus points if McDuff can respond without a personal attack at rad or I and avoid being an ageist dick, and bonus points for BearsGrl if she can avoid making wild and offensive assumptions about people's personal lives and not make extraneous off the wall arguments unrelated to the issue at hand.

Go.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18426
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby bk1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:35 pm

BearsGrl wrote:The same rules don't apply to all schools.

I don't think anybody's disputing that. The disagreement is over the strength of having a local regional law school on your resume and how much that should impact one's choice to attend a local regional law school where one doesn't have any other ties.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:09 pm

bk1 wrote:McDuff, what makes you think your experience at your school is applicable to other T1 schools? I'm honestly curious. You say that people at "national" schools don't understand because they don't have experience coming from a regional school. Yet you've also maintained that CU Boulder and Colorado itself are different than other places (often saying that people at Boulder aren't really looking for legal jobs). Why then can you extrapolate from your experiences attending a law school in Colorado, which you say is different, to say NM and UNM or NC and UNC, etc?


I appreciate the question. Basically, my prior comments about CU-Boulder weren't really meant to differentiate CU from KU, OU, Wyoming, etc. They were meant to differentiate CU from schools like the one I'm sure you attend. That isn't to say there aren't differences between CU and KU-- of course there are. There are cultural differences between all schools and every region of the country. But I have friends who attend other regional schools who definitely remind me of students here. I'll give you an example. The other day I spoke with a student here who wants to graduate early in 2.5 years, yet stay around for the final semester to participate in mock-trial and moot-court. To most people, myself included, this just sounds dumb. Would someone graduate from medical school but then stick around to dissect frogs for free? But to this student the plan wasn't crazy. Mock trial and moot court were his/her "number 1 priority." Honestly if this student ends up underemployed 9 months out, who are you going to blame? Do you go to school with people like that? My prior comments were aimed at the different students at my school and yours, not mine and UNM.

If you'd like more, I suppose I'm also influenced by the fact that I've lived/worked in several other states, including two with southern cultures, and I didn't find their metro areas parochial. I think the reasoning myself and others have shared is reasonable and speaks to common sense-- " the trade of for the better tie of the regional school is shittier job prospects " and " employers believe the regional student's why X state speech because few people would attend the regional school and not seek local work. " Also people who go to schools like U of Montana know what its like to seek jobs in one area where all the employers are alums. Everyone is proud of the school and are often like " yeah of course you wanted to live here and attend my school, who wouldn't! " Finally, I've personally experienced this phenomenon now in the legal field in Colorado and previously in another professional field in both Kansas and Texas.

Again, I appreciate the question. However, I think a much better question can be posed to you. Why can you extrapolate your experience at a private, T10 school to say, any regional school? You must agree that there is a greater difference between wherever you go to school and the University of New Mexico than where I go to school and the University of New Mexico, right? And after all, isn't that what has really happened here-- the first group that I spoke to earlier has extrapolated their OCI experience at T20 schools to the rest of the law school community?

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:23 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
Yeah ties matter. If you go to a top school people will be especially weary of your "why I want to work in X state" story. I also have "experience." Early 30's, 2L here, real grown up jobs in several states. The arg/what I think has been stated over and over-- maybe you haven't read the thread very closely. If not, no big deal, I'm guilty of the same all the time. Basically, "ties" are overstated in threads re: regional schools. Many posters strait up maintain that moving across the county to attend a regional school with result in unemployment. These people are often 0Ls repeating what Rad has said. Rad is probably early twenties. Surely a smart dood and probably fun to have a beer with, but he has never attended a regional school and has probably, just a guess, never maintained a professional job. Yet he posts 20 time a day (on the Rad Lulz account) often regarding "ties." He is also supremely confident. Romo has adopted Rad's schtick (credit to Romo for that echo..). Probably a great dude, very funny, but same critique. He posts 15 times a day and has over 18000 posts. Not an expert on much. What 24 year old is? But maybe if he spent less time "poasting" and more time critically thinking, empathizing, attempting to hold two competing ideas in his head, he would alter his absolutism on this website.

Also I used the strike feature this time in the manner you prefer. Sorry last time I struck for a different purpose. Also sorry I was mean to you. I guess I get frustrated at all the assumptions people make online they would probably not make in real life. Sorry I took it out on you. Also sorry that I actually physically typed out "S-O-R-R-Y" in the last post when I clearly didn't mean it.


Thanks for the apology. I understand that it's frustrating when people espouse a worldview that differs from your own. Do you realize, though, that most of your argument focuses on ad-hominem attacks against Rad and Romo? Attack their assertions, not their avatars. Just because they may have a unique posting style doesn't mean their information is incorrect.

I also haven't seen Rad or Romo or really anyone suggest that ties are necessary. Everybody seems to agree that they do have some effect, but the dispute is over the extent. You obviously feel strongly about this, so maybe it's best to agree to disagree as to that issue.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby Nelson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:23 pm

McDuff, you ignore the question of why you would recommend to 0Ls that they relocate to cities they have no connection to for schools with crap job prospects in legal markets that are tiny. If you aren't already from these markets, there is no reason to ever go to law school in most of them.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Its not like anything the "ties are important crew" says is that controversial or extreme.


If this is the name of your crew, then I'm in your crew.

romothesavior wrote:
If I can summarize:

1. Ties are neither necessary or sufficient, but they're a major factor in hiring.
2. Getting a job in an area where you lack ties is more difficult than for someone with ties
3. Given the already shitty job market, ties should be a factor in trying to decide where to go and for how much to go for
4. Some markets are more insular and more difficult than others to break into.



I agree with all of this. Perhaps we would attribute more or less significance or weight to some of these points, but I agree. If this has become "conventional wisdom" then much progress has been made. But Romo take a lot at some of the prior comments in the choosing a law school thread. Perhaps this has been one of those areas, as you said earlier, that has "gotten out of hand?"

If I could edit your list...

1. Ties are neither necessary or sufficient, but they're a major factor in hiring. (because employers want to know you'll stick around, not because employers have some odd obsession with only recruiting people who went to their high school)
2. Getting a job in an area where you lack ties is more difficult than for someone with ties. (but going to the local school creates a very strong tie, and though, theoretically, you might be slightly disadvantaged vs. a born and raised peer, that can be countered by other factors or mitigated with a believable "why X area" story)
3. Given the already shitty job market, ties should be a factor in trying to decide where to go and for how much to go for
4. Some markets are more insular and more difficult than others to break into. (though metro areas, where most of the legal jobs are located, will be much less insular than the surrounding rural counties.
(5.) Networking, selling yourself, and interpersonal skills are more important factors than ties.

We may be pretty far off and I can respect that. I dunno, you tell me.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:32 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Thanks for the apology. I understand that it's frustrating when people espouse a worldview that differs from your own.


For both of us? But no, I was frustrated because you incorrectly made assumptions. As I stated..

rickgrimes69 wrote:Do you realize, though, that most of your argument focuses on ad-hominem attacks against Rad and Romo? Attack their assertions, not their avatars. Just because they may have a unique posting style doesn't mean their information is incorrect.


I guess we'll have to agree to disagree here. I don't realize this.

rickgrimes69 wrote:I also haven't seen Rad or Romo or really anyone suggest that ties are necessary.


They imply ties are necessary. The OP thought he was stuck in Michigan! Perhaps a re-read is in order.

rickgrimes69 wrote:Everybody seems to agree that they do have some effect, but the dispute is over the extent.


Agree.

Lord Randolph McDuff
Posts: 1587
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:37 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:38 pm

Nelson wrote:McDuff, you ignore the question of why you would recommend to 0Ls that they relocate to cities they have no connection to for schools with crap job prospects in legal markets that are tiny. If you aren't already from these markets, there is no reason to ever go to law school in most of them.


Hmm. Have you "ignored" every question you have never been asked?

Your statement highlights that we have different views. Not worth getting into, but suffice to say that I don't believe that all these schools maintain "crap" job prospects. To each his own.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:46 pm

Rad and I agree on most things, and we're buddies both here and IRL, and we post in a lot of the same threads, but we have pretty different posting styles. I usually write out pretty thorough responses even when its something that's been beaten to death. I remember what it was like to be a 1L. I remember after my first post being ecstatic about getting a good enough LSAT just to get into SLU. I try to be respectful so long as people arent assholes. And rad and I don't always agree.

I guess I just don't think the criticisms of me/us are all that fair. Go take a random sample of my posts in the Choosing forum and tell me I'm being irrational, rude, or arrogant. Or bk. Or grimes. Or most of the "megaposters." Thankfully, for every person bitching about how awful we are, there are five who are sending PMs and posting about how thankful they are that TLS is what it is.

This isn't really directed at anyone, just a general reaction to the meta discussion of the TLS community.

User avatar
Nelson
Posts: 2061
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 12:43 am

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby Nelson » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:50 pm

Edit: eh nevermind
Last edited by Nelson on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
star fox
Posts: 13836
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:13 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby star fox » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:54 pm

Colorado seems like a place with a lot of outsiders to begin with. Plus, there's mountains- lot of skiing and snowboarding. Probably easier for someone to believe you when you say you want to stick around there then when you're like "well, to be honest, I've just completely fallen in love with Davenport, Iowa".

User avatar
Justin Genious
Posts: 271
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby Justin Genious » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:34 pm

You all cannot say that every 2 and 3L on this forum has a higher understanding of legal employment than every 0L. That being said, the majority of these posters do have legitimate stances and should be used a resource for 0Ls. Ties are important along with awareness of COA and the legal market. I really do not think anyone is disputing this. However, some 2 and 3L users do post based on adventitious experiences and this cannot be denied. Of course I appreciate the advice and guidance given by current and post students--I'd be going to a school with weak employment stats if it weren't for many of you that are reading this. I'm just saying that not every poster, hell, not every student, is as informative as the next.

CCN at sticker is irrational? I have heard many current students state this and personally, I do not believe there is a large distinction between CCN and the rest of the t14; I do, however, have to say that at a 65-75% chance at getting a biglaw/clerkship/prestigious PI job is indeed worth 250k debt for many people who would have ever dreamed of having these opportunities. Look at the current "hot thread" that's going on in the "Legal Employment" section of TLS:
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=205718

There are various opportunities that are given to biglaw associates after a few years that are not available to students making 35k a couple years out of UG. Sure, one should not go to law school based on opportunities passed biglaw, but if a person truly believes he/she wants to be an attorney, why not pursue it and attend one of the aforementioned schools at sticker? I surely do not believe this is irrational.

Anywho, I stand behind my assertion that 0Ls need to fuse TLS research with outside information when it comes to making decisions regarding law school. This is based on individual circumstances and sure, I do not think attending anything below GT at sticker is rational and would highly advice against it, but every person on this board has a different background and it shall be based on a case by case basis for each of them--with that person ultimately deciding what is best for themselves.

Are ties important? Yes. Should COA be a major deciding factor? Hell yes. What is it like to be interviewed at an OCI or how does one's perception change after attending law school? I couldn't tell you; but what I do know is the hard statistics that the ABA releases each year and it's a hella lot better than anecdotal postings by TLS users. Again, because I know the previous sentence will be taken out of context, I believe the majority of law students are helping us out by giving 0Ls the appropriate advice necessary to make a proper decision--whether it be concerning law school, career goals, or whatever--but do not believe every student on this forum is informed enough to be giving the adjuration. Take it for what my opinion is worth, y'all.

mustached
Posts: 35
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:53 am

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Postby mustached » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:44 pm

john7234797 wrote:Colorado seems like a place with a lot of outsiders to begin with. Plus, there's mountains- lot of skiing and snowboarding. Probably easier for someone to believe you when you say you want to stick around there then when you're like "well, to be honest, I've just completely fallen in love with Davenport, Iowa".


FWIW, a friend of mine recently graduated law school, grew up in CO, and is an associate at a firm in CO and said that the legal market is very highly insular.

He even went so far as to turn down a more highly-ranked school for a full-ride at one of the CO law schools because he knew he never wanted to leave CO and employers would look at his leaving CO for law school--even as a life-long resident--suspiciously.

Anecdotal, so use it as you will.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: freekick, Yahoo [Bot] and 4 guests