Best medium/small markets with no ties Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Best medium/small markets with no ties

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:20 pm

I searched for "megaposter" and received 261 hits, going back a couple of years. I don't think that includes hyphenated or two word versions (mega-poster/mega poster).

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:26 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote: And arguing that ties have zero tangible impact on somebody's ability to get a job is an illogical and indefensible position.
Also no one said that.
Um, you did bro. Remember when I said
rickgrimes69 wrote:Said differently; are you actually arguing that ties have zero tangible impact on somebody's ability to find employment in a small market to which they have no prior connection whatsoever?
And you responded with
rickgrimes69 wrote:Said differently; are you actually arguing that ties have zero tangible impact on somebody's ability to find employment in a small market to which they have no prior connection whatsoever?
This was in response to you also striking out my argument that ties objectively play a substantive role, even if the extent to which they play a role is debatable. Granted, you failed to respond to any of my substantive points whatsoever, so you'll have to excuse me if I misunderstood your snarky "rebuttal". It's all on page 3 if you'd like to refresh your memory.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:33 pm

I believe you, but cite?

Also damn.
Use forum search to search "megaposter"

Earliest mention is 2010

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 5#p3223043

Keep in mind forum search won't search archived or deleted threads (BP)

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:08 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
rickgrimes69 wrote: And arguing that ties have zero tangible impact on somebody's ability to get a job is an illogical and indefensible position.
Also no one said that.
And you responded with
This was in response to you also striking out my argument that ties objectively play a substantive role, even if the extent to which they play a role is debatable. Granted, you failed to respond to any of my substantive points whatsoever, so you'll have to excuse me if I misunderstood your snarky "rebuttal". It's all on page 3 if you'd like to refresh your memory.
God people on this site love to make assumptions, but really? That's just not how talking works.

Look, forgive me, but no one said that. Sorry if that wasn't clear to you. I hope your people skills IRL far outpace your performance on this website. If not, regardless of your "T-14 with good resume," or whatever your humblebrag was, will be wasted because everyone will think you're a dickhead.
Last edited by Lord Randolph McDuff on Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:11 pm

rad lulz wrote:
I believe you, but cite?

Also damn.

Earliest mention is 2010

Thanks. Well damn. I would still like everyone to know that I independently arrived at the same clever phrase. Also, I'd like to think whatshisface used the term because he saw me use it in recent weeks. Dunno but not illogical; who else has used it recently?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:13 pm

rad lulz wrote:
I believe you, but cite?

Also damn.

Earliest mention is 2010

Thanks. Well damn. I would still like everyone to know that I independently arrived at the same clever phrase. Also, I'd like to think whatshisface used the term because he saw me use it in recent weeks. Dunno but not illogical; who else has used it recently?
In other news, water is wet.

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:25 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Thanks. Well damn. I would still like everyone to know that I independently arrived at the same clever phrase. Also, I'd like to think whatshisface used the term because he saw me use it in recent weeks. Dunno but not illogical; who else has used it recently?
How much do you want to wager that you saw it, forgot that you saw it and then "independently arrived at the same clever phrase?" It's all over.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:32 pm

hibiki wrote:
Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:Thanks. Well damn. I would still like everyone to know that I independently arrived at the same clever phrase. Also, I'd like to think whatshisface used the term because he saw me use it in recent weeks. Dunno but not illogical; who else has used it recently?
How much do you want to wager that you saw it, forgot that you saw it and then "independently arrived at the same clever phrase?" It's all over.
Worst case, I'm on the other end of the echo. All of this is an aside to whether or not TLS members research their posts-- which they overwhelmingly do not.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 3:59 pm

And this thread goes from bad to worse...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:04 pm

romothesavior wrote:And this thread goes from bad to worse...
Romo. You sound young. K-JD? Every thread you disagree with is bad. When you get older, you'll realize that shit is complicated and you will be far less cock-sure.

None of this is to suggest that I do not like you because I do.

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:18 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Also no one said that.
And you responded with
God people on this site love to make assumptions, but really? That's just not how talking works.

Look, forgive me, but no one said that. Sorry if that wasn't clear to you. I hope your people skills IRL far outpace your performance on this website. If not, regardless of your "T-14 with good resume," or whatever your humblebrag was, will be wasted because everyone will think you're a dickhead.
Look bro, if you don't want people to make assumptions, you should utilize your (multiple) opportunities to clarify your point instead of being an asshole. Which, I'd like to point out, you have yet to do - I still don't even know what you actually think other than that you disagree with everyone else for no apparent reason.

My post clearly stated the completely reasonable proposition that ties play a role in obtaining a job in a small market. You struck it through without any additional explanation whatsoever. It's a pretty reasonable assumption that striking through someone's entire post indicates disagreement - if that wasn't what you were expressing, you should probably work on your communication skills.

Also, if anybody's being a dickhead in this thread, it's you. I've spent far more time than you deserve trying to spell out what most people with experience consider to be a relatively obvious concept: that ties matter, and lack of ties puts you at a disadvantage in local markets. If you agree with that proposition, great; if not, either present a legitimate counter-argument or shut up and stop posting.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:22 pm

I wasnt referring to our disagreement, I was referring to how this thread is now about who coined the term "megaposter," with you sticking a feather in your cap and patting yourself on the back because someone used a word you used a week ago. So yes, from bad to worse.

I just hope that when I'm older I'm not a condescending jerk about it like you are. How old are you anyways, oh wise owl?

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:40 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Also no one said that.
And you responded with

+1.

I swear that TLS is a site that discusses more about how to network than actually pursues the art of networking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:41 pm

hibiki wrote:
All megaposter means is that there is a group of people who spend their time on this site rather than actually networking and then complain about no jerbs.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:42 pm

romothesavior wrote:And this thread goes from bad to worse...
I know. Good thing you started it. :lol:

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:43 pm

romothesavior wrote:I wasnt referring to our disagreement, I was referring to how this thread is now about who coined the term "megaposter," with you sticking a feather in your cap and patting yourself on the back because someone used a word you used a week ago. So yes, from bad to worse.

I just hope that when I'm older I'm not a condescending jerk about it like you are. How old are you anyways, oh wise owl?
Romo - Go sit in this corner.

Lord - Go sit in the other corner.

Until you guys are ready to hug it out, neither of you needs to be poasting thoughts about your egos.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:44 pm

Most of the megaposters who you accuse of not networking have jobs. And I was just thinking that you had started to get less awful. And now you are back with your usual schtick.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:Most of the megaposters who you accuse of not networking have jobs. And I was just thinking that you had started to get less awful. And now you are back with your usual schtick.
Sorry, but if you have a job, you're not going to have time to be on the net while at the job. Unless you're saying that you have a future job, which means that the job could still be taken away.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:58 pm

You: You post a lot. You must be bitter and unemployed. Go network instead of posting about how there are no jobs.
Me: Actually no I have a job lined up and so do most of the people you're addressing.
You: Well... you might lose it!

What's your point?

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:You: You post a lot. You must be bitter and unemployed. Go network instead of posting about how there are no jobs.
Me: Actually no I have a job lined up and so do most of the people you're addressing.

What's your point?
Then you don't have a job. You have a job lined up. Not the same. IT will be on your rear like nothing else. So in a few months, I don't expect you to be a mod anymore. If your job is legit.

Why you spend your time on TLS mod-ing it out instead of volunteering in the local community is beyond me, but tell me more about this ties thing.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:04 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
romothesavior wrote:You: You post a lot. You must be bitter and unemployed. Go network instead of posting about how there are no jobs.

What's your point?
Then you don't have a job. You have a job lined up. Not the same. IT will be on your rear like nothing else. So in a few months, I don't expect you to be a mod anymore. If your job is legit.

Why you spend your time on TLS mod-ing it out instead of volunteering in the local community is beyond me, but tell me more about this ties thing.
Now you're only credible if you volunteer in the local community while having a legal job? What's the next straw man requirement?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:09 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

What's your point?

Now you're only credible if you volunteer in the local community while having a legal job? What's the next straw man requirement?
No, this is for the folks that think ties are so important (which they are). Why wouldn't you volunteer? It's only upside in legal and in personal life.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:14 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:
Look bro, if you don't want people to make assumptions, you should utilize your (multiple) opportunities to clarify your point instead of being an asshole. Which, I'd like to point out, you have yet to do - I still don't even know what you actually think other than that you disagree with everyone else for no apparent reason.

My post clearly stated the completely reasonable proposition that ties play a role in obtaining a job in a small market. You struck it through without any additional explanation whatsoever. It's a pretty reasonable assumption that striking through someone's entire post indicates disagreement - if that wasn't what you were expressing, you should probably work on your communication skills.

Also, if anybody's being a dickhead in this thread, it's you. I've spent far more time than you deserve trying to spell out what most people with experience consider to be a relatively obvious concept: that ties matter, and lack of ties puts you at a disadvantage in local markets. If you agree with that proposition, great; if not, either present a legitimate counter-argument or shut up and stop posting.
Yeah ties matter. If you go to a top school people will be especially weary of your "why I want to work in X state" story. I also have "experience." Early 30's, 2L here, real grown up jobs in several states. The arg/what I think has been stated over and over-- maybe you haven't read the thread very closely. If not, no big deal, I'm guilty of the same all the time. Basically, "ties" are overstated in threads re: regional schools. Many posters strait up maintain that moving across the county to attend a regional school with result in unemployment. These people are often 0Ls repeating what Rad has said. Rad is probably early twenties. Surely a smart dood and probably fun to have a beer with, but he has never attended a regional school and has probably, just a guess, never maintained a professional job. Yet he posts 20 time a day (on the Rad Lulz account) often regarding "ties." He is also supremely confident. Romo has adopted Rad's schtick (credit to Romo for that echo..). Probably a great dude, very funny, but same critique. He posts 15 times a day and has over 18000 posts. Not an expert on much. What 24 year old is? But maybe if he spent less time "poasting" and more time critically thinking, empathizing, attempting to hold two competing ideas in his head, he would alter his absolutism on this website.

Also I used the strike feature this time in the manner you prefer. Sorry last time I struck for a different purpose. Also sorry I was mean to you. I guess I get frustrated at all the assumptions people make online they would probably not make in real life. Sorry I took it out on you. Also sorry that I actually physically typed out "S-O-R-R-Y" in the last post when I clearly didn't mean it.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:17 pm

On CBs (granted ive only have had 3), no one has ever asked if I volunteered. However, I have been asked if I have family in the area, where I went to high school, which specific family lives here (eg extended or immediate), where my SO lives, where she works and others that I can't recall immediately. Ties are obviously important, but I don't think volunteering is what legal employers are looking for.
Also I go to a T14 and am trying to land a secondary market, so maybe that's why I've had ties focused interviews more than others ITT.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:19 pm

BearsGrl wrote:

What's your point?

I never said I couldn't lose my job. But your points seem to be 1) I'm bitter, and 2) I should be out networking. But I have a job lined up? I'm bitter about the firm I'm about to start at (which I think I will love btw) and I should be networking for this job that I already have lined up? Lolwat.

As for the rest of your shitty comment... Myself and the other mods do this for no pay. We do it for a combination of fun/entertainment and also genuine concern about this community. I wouldn't be where I am without TLS, and I think this site has been one of the strongest forces in shaping the current information pool about law school. Is my moderating changing the world? No. But I know for a fact that I've helped a TON of people avoid making a bad investment by passing on the insights I gained during four years on this site and three in law school.

You are a presumptuous POS. It really blows my mind how hopelessly you cling to this "the megaposters are losers with no life and no jobs schtick." You know absolutely ZILCH about me, my social life, my career, my romantic life, my volunteering, or anything else. Go walk in front of a bus, seriously.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”