Utah vs. UC Davis

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Utah at 60% versus. Davis at Sticker

Utah at 60% scholarship, in-state (Total COA around 35K)
78%
Davis with 14k/yr grant, OOS (Total COA around 120K)
22%

Total votes: 18

WisemanAEKDB

Utah vs. UC Davis

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:27 pm

So I've got 1 month exactly to make a decision here. I went to Utah for undergrad. I enjoy the school, but I would much rather not work in Utah and I really don't want to raise a family here. I'm 21 and non-married, for reference. I'm currently WL'ing at University of Washington, and I plan on riding that out. In the mean time, I need to pick one of these. Please post your thoughts, I'm lost as hell at this point.

Davidbentley

Re: Utah vs. UC Davis

Postby Davidbentley » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:32 pm

LSDAS GPA: 3.8
Retake.
I voted for Utah. At least it's a cheaper mistake.

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:35 pm

Was in your position last year with a similar gpa...RETAKE!

You will not regret it, even if you only gain 2-3 points.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:39 pm

I've already taken twice. Leaves only one shot in the next two years for another re-take. I'm really disinterested in taking a year off, especially if I messed up and didn't improve on this next LSAT.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:44 pm

uc davis is not a good law school. I wouldn't recommend going there, even with a full ride and no stips.

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:46 pm

With your GPA, it would be self-flagellation to not use every possible route to increase your LSAT. Every 2-3 point increase increases your outcomes exponentially. You're 21 years old. You could spend the next 3 years picking your nose and still have plenty of time to improve your LSAT.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:48 pm

here is some advice you should take when pursuing your zealous LSAT study

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=206111

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:52 pm

This is a great thread.. haha. But a real question here... Does everyone on TLS have their head so far up their ass to think that no school below T-14 is worth going to? Sure, I understand T-14 is awesome, and I also understand it's a cardinal sin to attend anything below T50, but come on. Enough with the negativity.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:54 pm

It depends on your schools placement, where you want to practice, and how much $ you get. Fuck rankings outside T14.

Davis places poorly, is regional in California (bad job market), and 14k is pathetic.

BerkeleyBear

Postby BerkeleyBear » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:56 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:This is a great thread.. haha. But a real question here... Does everyone on TLS have their head so far up their ass to think that no school below T-14 is worth going to? Sure, I understand T-14 is awesome, and I also understand it's a cardinal sin to attend anything below T50, but come on. Enough with the negativity.

>TLS
>negativity
Do you even internet? :wink:

Davidbentley

Postby Davidbentley » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:59 pm

:roll: I've been about as friendly as I can be. You're not going to like the real world.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:02 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:This is a great thread.. haha. But a real question here... Does everyone on TLS have their head so far up their ass to think that no school below T-14 is worth going to? Sure, I understand T-14 is awesome, and I also understand it's a cardinal sin to attend anything below T50, but come on. Enough with the negativity.

Attending a flagship state law school in a state you dont want to live in long term is just a bad move in general. No one cares about Utah outside of Utah.

buddyt

Postby buddyt » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:04 pm

TLS conventional wisdom doesn't frown upon regional schools as long as you have ties and are going for free or very close to it. If neither school has offered you that, then it would be best to retake. I begrudgingly took a year off, took the LSAT for a third time, and this cycle I was offered near-full-ride scholarships at two regional schools and full-ride to another. I don't regret the third take and time off one bit. It's extremely short-sighted to leave money on the table, especially with your GPA.

Retake, apply where you have ties and/or would like to practice, get a $$$ scholly, profit.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:05 pm

If you wanted to stay in Utah, your Utah offer would be solid.

FlowBro

Postby FlowBro » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:08 pm

Taking a year "off" should not be looked down upon. You can do something you enjoy for a year whether that be an internship, job, study/travel/volunteer abroad, learn a new language.

One year will go by very fast, and again go up 2-3 points, profit as another poster said.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:15 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:here is some advice you should take when pursuing your zealous LSAT study

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 0&t=206111

TITCR

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:21 pm

No. Most of the people who are the most vocal with the "retake/don't go" mantra (myself included) don't go to T14s.

It's about maximizing job prospects and minimizing debt. These schools are simply not good choices for your goals of having a portable degree that can get you out of Utah. Also, you are vastly underestimating your COA for both schools unless you have some cashflow or savings we're not aware of. Davis will probably cost you well over 150k. And COL alone will be more than 35k, so how is that possible for Utah? Utah with no intention of staying in Utah is silly.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:21 pm

romothesavior wrote:

No. Most of the people who are the most vocal with the "retake/don't go" mantra (myself included) don't go to T14s.

It's about maximizing job prospects and minimizing debt. These schools are simply not good choices for your goals of having a portable degree that can get you out of Utah. Also, you are vastly underestimating your COA for both schools unless you have some cashflow or savings we're not aware of. Davis will probably cost you well over 150k. And COL alone will be more than 35k, so how is that possible for Utah? Utah with no intention of staying in Utah is silly.

I have enough savings to cover COL, unless I'm living in downtown SF or NYC, both of which aren't happening. Meh, I don't know. I think you're all right about paying a stupid amount of money at Davis to be a bad idea. We shall see. My target school is UW, I've yet to negotiate with Utah, and who knows. A lot can happen in the next few months. A retake wouldn't be the worlds' worst thing, however my current job sucks and I'm not very interested in mulling around for a year either miserable or burning my savings doing some traveling.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:26 pm

Gear up for June. It may improve this cycle for you, and at the very least, youll be able to gauge whether its worth sitting out based on your new score.

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:38 pm

Nova wrote:Gear up for June. It may improve this cycle for you, and at the very least, youll be able to gauge whether its worth sitting out based on your new score.

Not a bad idea, but I've been cold since October. I tested a 154 in June, a 163 in October. Would June even be enough time to study hard enough to crack high 160's?

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:45 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:Would June even be enough time to study hard enough to crack high 160's?

Yes

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:00 pm

WisemanAEKDB wrote:Would June even be enough time to study hard enough to crack high 160's?

No take it in october, that's what im doing

WisemanAEKDB

Postby WisemanAEKDB » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:36 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:

No take it in october, that's what im doing

We shall see. It's on the list of options. 170 or bust.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:11 pm

Utah wouldn't be so bad if you wanted to stay in Utah. If you're planning on leaving, it's a terrible option - literally nobody outside Utah will care.

Davis at that price is way too expensive.

Your GPA is solid. You are selling yourself short if you waste it on these schools.

BigZuck

Postby BigZuck » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:05 am

Absolutely retake. I'm way older than you and I have big boy life concerns and putting off law school for a year was no big deal. Last cycle I was facing sticker at Hastings, this cycle I have full rides to top twenty schools and 50K+ at T14s. Make a good choice and be a grownup. Do something smart for your future.

Retake!

Your score in June will dictate whether you have to reapply next cycle or not. If you refuse to retake then go to Utah and find a way to make yourself ok with working as a lawyer in Utah (assuming you're fortunate enough to get a job from there).

Return to “Choosing a Law School”