WUSTL, OSU, or ND for Columbus market?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

OSU, WUSTL, or ND

OSU
60%
WUSTL
20%
ND
20%

Total votes: 10

CMHCLT

WUSTL, OSU, or ND for Columbus market?

Postby CMHCLT » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:05 pm

Out of state, so will be getting gouged at OSU... In at ND, OSU and WUSTL with some money, but all three options will be priced about the same. Trying to get pull in the Midwest, hence my choices...

Concerns:
OSU--relatively low job placement
WUSTL--name recognition in the Columbus market (people confuse it for UWash, or place it in DC, etc.)
ND--living in Indiana for three years...

For some reason, it feels like ND would give me more options than WashU based solely on name recognition, but if I want to end up in Columbus maybe I should just go to Ohio State?

I would appreciate any responses from TLSers with insight or familiarity with these markets!

matrim

Re: WUSTL, OSU, or ND for Columbus market?

Postby matrim » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:29 pm

Class of 11 had a decent amount of grads place in Ohio. Name recognition of ND allows you to work in Ohio, as well as, other places should you decide to work elsewhere in the future. A nice flexibility to have. Class of 11 was employed in 31 states plus a huge percentage in D.C. ND would be my vote.

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:43 pm

ND places people in Columbus every single year, we had several firms come to OCI from Columbus.

Avoiding ND because you're from Miami and can't emotionally handle snow is a terrible life choice, but it makes at least a little sense. Choosing an option that will result in worse employment prospects because you're used to Ohio and think you can't handle Indiana is absurd. I'm a current ND student from New Mexico, if I can make the transition anyone can.

Also, if price is in the same ballpark then look into LRAP for the schools. ND's isn't perfect but there's at least some safety net.
Last edited by andythefir on Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

star fox

Postby star fox » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:47 pm

I remember hearing that ND has good alumni connections in Columbus.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:09 pm

Why do you want to work in Columbus

What is the total CoA, including interest and loans, at each of these options

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:16 pm

Total COA of each? Where are you from and why Ohio? Its not an easy market without ties.

CMHCLT

Postby CMHCLT » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:57 pm

The COA is within a few thousand dollars for all three, so over the life of the loan it will all shake out, more or less, in the wash. I am interested in Columbus because that's where I have my entire family, I currently live out of state and would like to get back close to home.

CMHCLT

Postby CMHCLT » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:00 pm

"Avoiding ND because you're from Miami and can't emotionally handle snow is a terrible life choice"

I'm not worried about the snow. 8) it's more that I want to ensure I will have doors open with whatever school it is I pick--that seems like the case for all three. I'm just trying to determine if one of the three is the safest bet. Employers perspectives and alumni are what I'm trying to gauge..

Currently in NC

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:12 pm

rad lulz wrote:What is the total CoA, including interest and loans, at each of these options

Return to “Choosing a Law School”