Michigan (sticker) vs. Irvine (basically free) or Don't Go

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What Should I Do?

Irvine. Graduate debt free
31%
Michigan. Graduate with 50-100 k of debt
56%
Don't go to Law School
13%

Total votes: 162

Rahviveh

Re: Michigan (sticker) vs. Irvine (basically free) or Don't Go

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:47 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:San Diego may be nice, but the cost to live there, makes SD very horrible. (Your mortgage will stress you out, and if you opt out from buying a house, you will have to live in a crappy apartment).

Almost everywhere in California is high cost of living. You don't HAVE to live in a crappy apartment. You will just pay more. Good one bed apartments are 1-1500k and you can live further inland for cheaper off the 8 or in North County. You can find good condos for 250k.

Stop being a west coast anti christ. Aint nobody got time for dat

Yeah apartments in CA are mostly very nice compared to what you pay for in other big cities

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:04 am

AssumptionRequired wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:Dr. Dre probably got denied by UC Irvine for undergrad. That is why he has West coast beef with them.

LOL first off, UCI undergrad is not even great in CA. No one goes to UCI unless they couldnt get into Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD or USC (all better schools). Then the next choice is UCSB (actually has some cool people who go to the school, unlike UCI). Then I guess it comes down to Davis v. UCI. I graduated from HS is CA and this was definitely the case for most (good) students.

EDIT: Oh, rankings even show that UCI is behind all the schools listed above, even UCSB and Davis. Why on earth would anyone go there? UCSB is not much harder to get into, better academics and wayyyy better experience.

Also, UCI law should not even be a consideration here

Apparently a lot of people want to go there. I'm not surprised at all that it's more popular than Davis, but more popular than SB? That's a surprise. Despite overall lower stats, more people applied to UCI and according to this data, it's the "most selective" of the group (using this term loosely, as 42% is not exactly selective). My guess is probably location. Many large corporations have their headquarters in Orange County. If you're choosing the beach life, there's no way you'd choose UCI over SB though. SB is all beach all day whereas Irvine is about 15 minutes away.

Campus ApplicantsAdmits Admit rate GPA ACT SAT reading SAT math SAT writing SAT composite

UC Irvine 56,525 23,947 42.4% 3.87 27 588 645 611 1844
UC Santa Barbara 54,832 24,134 44.0% 3.91 28 601 633 617 1852
UC Davis 49,826 22,596 45.3% 4.03 28 611 658 632 1901

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:42 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:You will just pay more. Good one bed apartments are 1-1500k

this is exactly my point. too much $. not even worth it. irvine is so boring. no culture.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:48 am

Dr. Dre wrote:

this is exactly my point. too much $. not even worth it. irvine is so boring. no culture.

Rich 7 year olds with their own credit cards is culture.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:55 am

Dre...how do you have so much time to hate on irvine? lol

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:57 am

this is where i go after studying 4 that lsat

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:16 am

Dr. Dre wrote:

Irvine has its own culture. Young professionals to rich people mostly live there. But you can drive to Long Beach, Santa Ana, Fullerton, San Diego, and Los Angeles. At least you don't have to worry about being robbed.

Be prepared to pony up for living expenses if you want law in any big city anyway. Except for Texas. At least in SoCal you can go snowboarding and surfing in the same day. Tell me where else they do dat at

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:17 am

ManoftheHour wrote:
Dr. Dre wrote:

Rich 7 year olds with their own credit cards is culture.

And every other car is a BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, or a Prius

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:27 am

norcal.

and you assume without providing justification that people would WANT to go snowboarding and surfing on the same day. they probably would prefer to do other things on the same day.

like: jet ski on a pristine lake and mountain climb; or go hunting in the wilderness and dirt-bike; or ride a hot air-baloon and ride horses; or hike the mountains of montana and kayak in their wonderful rivers; or philosophize like Thoreau in the remote hills of new york and sail the atlantic ocean; or make snow angels, snow castles, whilst engaging in a snowball fight AND sipping hot chocolate during a heavy winter storm next to your warm fire place while wearing a corduroy sweater...

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:32 am

Snow sucks. It's great to visit the snow. Not to live somewhere where it snows all the time (icy roads, shoveling your driveway, etc. Not so much fun).

Coruroy...lol

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:36 am

Dr. Dre wrote:norcal.

and you assume without providing justification that people would WANT to go snowboarding and surfing on the same day. they probably would prefer to do other things on the same day.

like: jet ski on a pristine lake and mountain climb; or go hunting in the wilderness and dirt-bike; or ride a hot air-baloon and ride horses; or hike the mountains of montana and kayak in their wonderful rivers; or philosophize like Thoreau in the remote hills of new york and sail the atlantic ocean; or make snow angels, snow castles, whilst engaging in a snowball fight AND sipping hot chocolate during a heavy winter storm next to your warm fire place while wearing a corduroy sweater...

Have you tried it though? It's actually quite awesome.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:37 am

yes, beats "surfing" in newport beach any day.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:40 am

Dr. Dre wrote:norcal.

I don't do snow. Florida native that went through bootcamp in Chicago was rouuuuuugh. Then lived in Norfolk for a min....hell to da no.

But I love NorCal. The Bay is awesome and I love the techieness of Silicon Valley. It's weird how North and South California are so different they might as well be different states.

I'd have a beer w/ ya Dre. You may hate Irvine w/ a passion, but you're funny lol. Rock that LSAT bruh

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:43 am

yeah an eav can come join us and also manofthehour. listen to some of those mexican corridos.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:47 am

sounds good dre.

Also, I visited USC today. Enjoyed it. But I'm going to visit your fav school for admitted student weekend on the 5th. Can we still be friends? lol. I want PI and they're offering full tuition, summer stipends, PI mentors, faculty lunches. As much as you hate on UCI, how is that not a good deal?

PS Sorry to hijack your thread OP. I voted Michigan but honestly UCI for free isn't a bad option based on the outcomes you want.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:48 am

it's a good idea just to go [visit]

OP, i think your best choice is to not go to law school.

Postby 005618502 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:46 pm

eav1277 wrote:sounds good dre.

Also, I visited USC today. Enjoyed it. But I'm going to visit your fav school for admitted student weekend on the 5th. Can we still be friends? lol. I want PI and they're offering full tuition, summer stipends, PI mentors, faculty lunches. As much as you hate on UCI, how is that not a good deal?

PS Sorry to hijack your thread OP. I voted Michigan but honestly UCI for free isn't a bad option based on the outcomes you want.

No do not go to UCI over USC even if you want PI. You have no idea how UCI is going to be placing in 3 years. Also, by then their ranking will be out and people will be done with the BS hoping that UCI will be in the top 20. UCI will probably fall somewhere in the 50 range. UCI will not provide great prospects either because of the area, Orange county doesnt have that many law firms, and if they do their SA classes are small. That plus the fact that they take mostly T14 kids, you dont want to regret this.

Go to a school that has proven itself. You will be fine at USC with PI... really no one who gets into USC or better should consider UCI.

Also, I grew up in Irvine. THAT PLACE IS THE WORST PLACE IN THE WORLD TO TRY TO HAVE A NIGHT LIFE. Even the bars at newport are lame. Every summer when I go home I am miserable. you would be much better off in LA.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:40 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:
No do not go to UCI over USC even if you want PI. You have no idea how UCI is going to be placing in 3 years. Also, by then their ranking will be out and people will be done with the BS hoping that UCI will be in the top 20. UCI will probably fall somewhere in the 50 range. UCI will not provide great prospects either because of the area, Orange county doesnt have that many law firms, and if they do their SA classes are small. That plus the fact that they take mostly T14 kids, you dont want to regret this.

Go to a school that has proven itself. You will be fine at USC with PI... really no one who gets into USC or better should consider UCI.

bananasplit19

Postby bananasplit19 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:07 pm

I'd vote for Irvine, and I don't think it's even close. Traditional TLS hivemind dictates (and quite rightly so, given the risks involved) that the calculus involved in picking a law school boils down to two variables: (1) maximizing your chances of getting a worthwhile long-term, JD-required job, whether that be BigLaw or a federal clerkship or whatever; and (2) minimizing the amount of back-breaking debt you'll be facing in three years.

Now, in the case of OP, where the BigLaw lifestyle doesn't suit him/her, this just reinforces the importance of variable 2 (debt minimization). This thread has derailed into different reasons why he shouldn't pick Irvine ranging from irrelevant (BigLaw placement and rankings derived therein) to just plain absurd (quality of undergraduate experience? Something about kids with credit cards? Dafuq?). $50K-$100K in debt from Michigan is great compared to the $250K that others have to deal with, but it's still a kidney punch to the wallet, especially if you aren't going to be pulling the BigLaw (or banking) salary.

Meanwhile, the UCI flamers will cite a lack of evidence that it won't be a TTT - understandable since it's a new school in an uncertain economic climate. This is not without merit: the few data points we have (c/o 2012 job and bar passage numbers) all trend towards a rosy outlook, but there's not nearly enough to conclude it will succeed. However, the level of blind vitriol shown by many of these haters in the face of these data points suggests that they have their own agenda other than objective observation of the uncertainties of a new school, so I believe their advice should be taken with a big grain of salt. If you decide against Irvine, it's understandable, but don't let it be because of these jokers. I think this thread is a prime example of the hate going too far.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:29 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:I'd vote for Irvine, and I don't think it's even close. Traditional TLS hivemind dictates (and quite rightly so, given the risks involved) that the calculus involved in picking a law school boils down to two variables: (1) maximizing your chances of getting a worthwhile long-term, JD-required job, whether that be BigLaw or a federal clerkship or whatever; and (2) minimizing the amount of back-breaking debt you'll be facing in three years.

Now, in the case of OP, where the BigLaw lifestyle doesn't suit him/her, this just reinforces the importance of variable 2 (debt minimization). This thread has derailed into different reasons why he shouldn't pick Irvine ranging from irrelevant (BigLaw placement and rankings derived therein) to just plain absurd (quality of undergraduate experience? Something about kids with credit cards? Dafuq?). $50K-$100K in debt from Michigan is great compared to the $250K that others have to deal with, but it's still a kidney punch to the wallet, especially if you aren't going to be pulling the BigLaw (or banking) salary.

Meanwhile, the UCI flamers will cite a lack of evidence that it won't be a TTT - understandable since it's a new school in an uncertain economic climate. This is not without merit: the few data points we have (c/o 2012 job and bar passage numbers) all trend towards a rosy outlook, but there's not nearly enough to conclude it will succeed. However, the level of blind vitriol shown by many of these haters in the face of these data points suggests that they have their own agenda other than objective observation of the uncertainties of a new school, so I believe their advice should be taken with a big grain of salt. If you decide against Irvine, it's understandable, but don't let it be because of these jokers. I think this thread is a prime example of the hate going too far.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:51 pm

Dre what are your credentials to give someone advice?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:52 pm

logic. that's all i need to know that uci is a terrible choice.

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:00 pm

worldtraveler wrote:Dre what are your credentials to give someone advice?

-First hip-hop artist to gain mainstream acceptance with gangsta music with the album "The Chronic" (1992).

-Assaulted TV hostess Dee Barnes (Pump It Up) in retaliation to her interviewing Ice Cube, where he made a deragatory comment against N.W.A. (at the time, the album Efil4zaggin debuted at #1). [1991]

-Father of rapper Curtis "Hood Surgeon" Young, from a teenage relationship, Marcel (b. 1991), with singer Michel'le, son Truth (b. 1997) and daughter Truly (b. 2001).

-Credited for discovering rapper Eminem.

-21st February 2001: Became the first hip-hop producer to win a Grammy for Producer of The Year. He was also nominated for 4 other awards including: Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group for the track "Forget About Dre" with Eminem.

-Won an MTV Music Video Award in 1995 for the hit single "Keep Their Heads Ringin." The music video starred Chris Tucker, who steals and pilots a Boeing 747.

-He was voted the 54th Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Artist of all time by Rolling Stone.

-Ranked #7 on VH1's 50 Greatest Hip Hop Artists.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:46 pm

bananasplit19 wrote:I'd vote for Irvine, and I don't think it's even close. Traditional TLS hivemind dictates (and quite rightly so, given the risks involved) that the calculus involved in picking a law school boils down to two variables: (1) maximizing your chances of getting a worthwhile long-term, JD-required job, whether that be BigLaw or a federal clerkship or whatever; and (2) minimizing the amount of back-breaking debt you'll be facing in three years.

this

Postby 005618502 » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:46 am

Please, post the employment statistics of UCI and I only want to see what percent got biglaw or Article III clerkships.... oh wait....it was only 58 kids, so there is not really much to go off of. The first class will also have been pushed and helped a lot more than the rest will because the school cares more about employment statistics now than it ever will. If you are intent on public service, then the debt wont kill you anyways because of Federal assistance on loans and LRAP

Return to “Choosing a Law School”