Michigan (sticker) vs. Irvine (basically free) or Don't Go

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What Should I Do?

Irvine. Graduate debt free
31%
Michigan. Graduate with 50-100 k of debt
56%
Don't go to Law School
13%

Total votes: 162

Dr. Dre

Re: Michigan (sticker) vs. Irvine (basically free) or Don't Go

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:00 am

Solistus wrote:
If you're sure you want to go to law school, Michigan is worth the debt IMO.

then take it, with great caution. Hustle hard.

WhoisJohnGalt?

Postby WhoisJohnGalt? » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:02 am

Solistus wrote:I wouldn't consider UCI. The 'risk' of graduating T14 with ~$100k debt pales in comparison to the risk of UCI's completely unproven reputation, untested career services office, and non-existent alumni network in my eyes. This is not a time to hedge your bets and enter the law job market with a bargain degree, at least not when you have a better option on the table.

If you're sure you want to go to law school, Michigan is worth the debt IMO. If you're not, then a JD from UCI isn't likely to open enough doors for you to be worth the considerable time commitment. You're gonna be depleting your savings either way, yes?

edit: after re-reading your OP, my advice is probably not to go. You don't have a low-risk, high-reward option on the table, and you're unsure if law school is even for you, so entering an extremely competitive job market with either a degree of dubious value or substantial debt seems like a recipe for unhappiness in three years.

Yep, this is the fear, depleting my savings/3 year commitment

bizzybone1313

Postby bizzybone1313 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:11 am

Dr. Dre probably got denied by UC Irvine for undergrad. That is why he has West coast beef with them.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:13 am

You might be in one of the few situations where I would say Irvine is the better call (although I agree with the others saying negotiating with USC is your best path).

For the kind of law you want to do, making connections is HUGE. Outside of big law and public interest/government, midlaw type of jobs or tort specialty jobs almost entirely about who you know. I think going to school outside of your intended practice area might be a big setback for you. Plus, one of the big advantages to a top 10 school is the ability to go to a big firm and make bank, or do prestigious government work or clerkships. You don't want that, so those advantages are moot.

I really don't see what advantage Michigan offers you except prestige, which for you may not be as relevant, especially if you join your dad's practice. Does Michigan offer anything other than prestige? Is it worth 200k just for a different name on the diploma?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:17 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:Dr. Dre probably got denied by UC Irvine for undergrad. That is why he has West coast beef with them.

uci undergrad so different from the law school. I didn't even apply there. Oh, and this:

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:18 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:Dr. Dre probably got denied by UC Irvine for undergrad. That is why he has West coast beef with them.

anyone in general who hates the best coast is a miserable human being.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:19 am

99.9luft wrote:anyone in general who hates the best coast is a miserable human being.

assumes without providing justification that the west coast is the best.

99.9luft

Postby 99.9luft » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:19 am

worldtraveler wrote:You might be in one of the few situations where I would say Irvine is the better call (although I agree with the others saying negotiating with USC is your best path).

For the kind of law you want to do, making connections is HUGE. Outside of big law and public interest/government, midlaw type of jobs or tort specialty jobs almost entirely about who you know. I think going to school outside of your intended practice area might be a big setback for you. Plus, one of the big advantages to a top 10 school is the ability to go to a big firm and make bank, or do prestigious government work or clerkships. You don't want that, so those advantages are moot.

I really don't see what advantage Michigan offers you except prestige, which for you may not be as relevant, especially if you join your dad's practice. Does Michigan offer anything other than prestige? Is it worth 200k just for a different name on the diploma?

OP listen to WT, she is muy intelligente.

WhoisJohnGalt?

Postby WhoisJohnGalt? » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:22 am

sure sounds that way. As much as we all like prestige, the bank doesnt care about it

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:39 am

WhoisJohnGalt? wrote:sure sounds that way. As much as we all like prestige, the bank doesnt care about it

Given that you have a father who is a lawyer, you must already have some contacts in the legal industry in LA. Talk to lawyers in the field where you want to work (young ones, not shit boomers) and see what they have to say.

WhoisJohnGalt?

Postby WhoisJohnGalt? » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:36 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
WhoisJohnGalt? wrote:sure sounds that way. As much as we all like prestige, the bank doesnt care about it

Given that you have a father who is a lawyer, you must already have some contacts in the legal industry in LA. Talk to lawyers in the field where you want to work (young ones, not shit boomers) and see what they have to say.

My two roommates arerecent Hastings alumni. Had the chance to talk to most of their friends from law school. Completely brutal. Only a few of them received jobs, the rest are struggling. Their debt is what makes it tough--hence the aversion to going to Michigan.

Postby 005618502 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:27 pm

LOL first off, UCI undergrad is not even great in CA. No one goes to UCI unless they couldnt get into Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD or USC (all better schools). Then the next choice is UCSB (actually has some cool people who go to the school, unlike UCI). Then I guess it comes down to Davis v. UCI. I graduated from HS is CA and this was definitely the case for most (good) students.

EDIT: Oh, rankings even show that UCI is behind all the schools listed above, even UCSB and Davis. Why on earth would anyone go there? UCSB is not much harder to get into, better academics and wayyyy better experience.

Also, UCI law should not even be a consideration here

francesfarmer

Postby francesfarmer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:32 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:

LOL first off, UCI undergrad is not even great in CA. No one goes to UCI unless they couldnt get into Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD or USC (all better schools). Then the next choice is UCSB (actually has some cool people who go to the school, unlike UCI). Then I guess it comes down to Davis v. UCI. I graduated from HS is CA and this was definitely the case for most (good) students.

I dunno if UCI undergrad sucks that bad (nobody from my high school really went there) but the fact that its in Orange County probably makes the UG TTT as well.

I think if OP is open to working for his dad for a while and then starting his own practice/taking over his dad's practice, OCI wouldn't be an awful choice. But he should go to USC with some money anyway.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:32 pm

EDIT: Oh, rankings even show that UCI is behind all the schools listed above, even UCSB and Davis. Why on earth would anyone go there? UCSB is not much harder to get into, better academics and wayyyy better experience.

lol this. and I think UCD has a better campus life/culture too (though I'd rather go to UCI due to location/proximity to beach).

star fox

Postby star fox » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:35 pm

My application to UM is pending but if I get in it will almost certainly be at sticker. I've come to the conclusion looking at their job placement that it's not worth it.

Big Dog

Postby Big Dog » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:39 pm

and I was hoping to be in before the great doctor. :mrgreen:

given your personal goals OP, Irvine is a no-brainer.

No one goes to UCI unless they couldnt get into Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD or USC (all better schools).

Well yeah, few go to ANY UC if they get into Stanford undergrad. But some/many? will choose UCI over USC just due to the cost factor, since 'SC is nearly two times as expensive.

Personally, I'd take Davis over SD since I'm not a fan of their 'college' system, and IMO, Davis has a better college town feel. La Jolla is million dollar homes.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:57 pm

Solistus wrote:I wouldn't consider UCI. The 'risk' of graduating T14 with ~$100k debt pales in comparison to the risk of UCI's completely unproven reputation, untested career services office, and non-existent alumni network in my eyes. This is not a time to hedge your bets and enter the law job market with a bargain degree, at least not when you have a better option on the table.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:33 pm

Ti Malice wrote:

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:02 pm

Big Dog wrote:and I was hoping to be in before the great doctor. :mrgreen:

given your personal goals OP, Irvine is a no-brainer.

No one goes to UCI unless they couldnt get into Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD or USC (all better schools).

Well yeah, few go to ANY UC if they get into Stanford undergrad. But some/many? will choose UCI over USC just due to the cost factor, since 'SC is nearly two times as expensive.

Personally, I'd take Davis over SD since I'm not a fan of their 'college' system, and IMO, Davis has a better college town feel. La Jolla is million dollar homes.

Lol but you're in Davis, not in San Diego which is damn near paradise. You must be an Aggie to say this

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:59 pm

San Diego may be nice, but the cost to live there, makes SD very horrible. (Your mortgage will stress you out, and if you opt out from buying a house, you will have to live in a crappy apartment).

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:34 pm

PRgradBYU wrote:Don't let Dr. Dre see this thread...

lol.

No point on wasting your savings on a degree where no one is going to even care where you got it from.

Def Irvine.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:San Diego may be nice, but the cost to live there, makes SD very horrible. (Your mortgage will stress you out, and if you opt out from buying a house, you will have to live in a crappy apartment).

Almost everywhere in California is high cost of living. You don't HAVE to live in a crappy apartment. You will just pay more. Good one bed apartments are 1-1500k and you can live further inland for cheaper off the 8 or in North County. You can find good condos for 250k.

Stop being a west coast anti christ. Aint nobody got time for dat

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:47 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
No point on wasting your savings on a degree where no one is going to even care where you got it from.

except employers.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:06 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
J-e-L-L-o wrote:

except employers.

OP wants PI or will hang his own shingle. Doesn't want corporate work.

UCI for cheap is TCR

What UCI law students are doing:
http://www.law.uci.edu/students/spotlight.html

ManoftheHour

Postby ManoftheHour » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:38 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:

lol this. and I think UCD has a better campus life/culture too (though I'd rather go to UCI due to location/proximity to beach).

I can see the arguments in favor of SB/SD over UCI, but Davis is god awful (ONLY talking about location here, not academics or the people there). Dated someone there, did long distance for a few years and we always enjoyed our trips down south vs. up north. It's friggin cow county and the closest city there (Sacramento) has got to be one of the most boring cities in the world.

All I'm saying is, when my friends in UG turned 21, we went to Vegas. When hers turned 21, they went to RENO.

Davis? Please...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”