Berkeley v. UTexas (both at sticker )

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Aberzombie1892

Re: Berkeley v. UTexas (both at sticker )

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:24 am

Emmyj wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Berkeley is without a doubt a better school than UT and significantly so in my opinion. But spending the extra money to go there and then trying to gun for CA or NY big law without the requisite ties seems really risky to me and potentially the recipe for debt pwnage in the future. I think your second best bet would be to go to UT and be ok with ending up in TX big law. There are worse things in life than being relegated to living in Texas.

I think that that is an overstatement as to Texas' ability to place graduates in big law. Someone would need pretty good grades to land big law from Texas, even in Texas. That being said, Texas would probably be the better choice overall bet due to being significantly cheaper.

I'm curious as to why the location of the law school matters to the OP in regard to family ties to the local market (TX), but the OP doesn't plan on working in that market after graduation. It seems counter intuitive. If the OP wants CA, Texas certainly isn't the go-to school in its range (USC or UCLA). If the OP wants NY, Texas still isn't the go-to school in its range (possibly Fordham; I'll admit I'm not familiar with Fordham v. Texas for NY, but Fordham seems to hold its own in NY).

It's because I'm not originally from Texas. My husband and I have not been living here for long. Relocating now would be painful (we want to live together), but ultimately we want to live in NYC or the west coast. That's reason behind my dilemma. So Berkeley could be a better choice regarding employment prospect ?

My advice would be to immediately apply to Fordham, USC, and UCLA and hope for significant scholarships. If any of those schools are stingy with money, you should be able to use your Texas and Berkeley acceptances to negotiate more money from them.

Berkeley is certainly better for your goals and better for employment prospects in general than Texas. However, it is certainly not worth as much as it would cost you, and Texas probably isn't worth what it would cost you either. Given that you don't want to work in Texas, Texas really shouldn't be in the picture in the first place.

Emmyj

Postby Emmyj » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:03 pm

ajr wrote:Go to Texas. Don't shake up too many things. Try to use the stability of your personal life and your husband's job to do well in school. Don't worry too much about small differences in employment numbers and geographical placements of schools (contrary to what people here might tell you). First get a job in Texas and think about moving and stuff later. You don't really need to figure where you want to live long term right now and Texas isn't going to stop you from living anywhere in the future.

Thanks for the advice, but is it easy to do that? I mean having worked for a while and then trying to find another job in another geographic area, comparing with job hunting right away after graduation?

Emmyj

Postby Emmyj » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:05 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
Emmyj wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
BigZuck wrote:Berkeley is without a doubt a better school than UT and significantly so in my opinion. But spending the extra money to go there and then trying to gun for CA or NY big law without the requisite ties seems really risky to me and potentially the recipe for debt pwnage in the future. I think your second best bet would be to go to UT and be ok with ending up in TX big law. There are worse things in life than being relegated to living in Texas.

I think that that is an overstatement as to Texas' ability to place graduates in big law. Someone would need pretty good grades to land big law from Texas, even in Texas. That being said, Texas would probably be the better choice overall bet due to being significantly cheaper.

I'm curious as to why the location of the law school matters to the OP in regard to family ties to the local market (TX), but the OP doesn't plan on working in that market after graduation. It seems counter intuitive. If the OP wants CA, Texas certainly isn't the go-to school in its range (USC or UCLA). If the OP wants NY, Texas still isn't the go-to school in its range (possibly Fordham; I'll admit I'm not familiar with Fordham v. Texas for NY, but Fordham seems to hold its own in NY).

It's because I'm not originally from Texas. My husband and I have not been living here for long. Relocating now would be painful (we want to live together), but ultimately we want to live in NYC or the west coast. That's reason behind my dilemma. So Berkeley could be a better choice regarding employment prospect ?

My advice would be to immediately apply to Fordham, USC, and UCLA and hope for significant scholarships. If any of those schools are stingy with money, you should be able to use your Texas and Berkeley acceptances to negotiate more money from them.

Berkeley is certainly better for your goals and better for employment prospects in general than Texas. However, it is certainly not worth as much as it would cost you, and Texas probably isn't worth what it would cost you either. Given that you don't want to work in Texas, Texas really shouldn't be in the picture in the first place.

Good point. Thanks a lot.

Emmyj

Postby Emmyj » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Kronk wrote:The question is tough to answer because she seems to have so many good things going on in Texas, which would seem to make UT make sense, but then she said she wants NYC or the West Coast, which is going to be tough out of UT. I mean, there are the ABA stats from 2011 they have up:

Texas, 289 / 382 employed in bar-requiring jobs (74%), another 50 or so employed in non-JD jobs. Of those employed, 67 are in huge 500+ firms (so, BigLaw), with another 20-30 in firms of 50-100.

Berkeley, 267 / 310 are employed in JD jobs (86%) another 30 in non JD jobs, 92 of those 310 in 500+ firms and another 30-40 in 50-500 firms.

West Coast BigLaw is close to impossible even from good CA schools. Berkeley and Stanford are the only schools that give you a great shot at BigLaw anywhere on the coast. UCLA and USC are alright in Southern Cal but the odds are still stacked against those students. NYC is easy from here, D.C. is hard from anywhere and thus hard from here--but people do it--other secondary markets I can't comment on.

Thanks a lot for the info Kronk. Very helpful.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”