TTT or Wait?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
User avatar
Varys
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:28 am

TTT or Wait?

Postby Varys » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:40 pm

My first post and this has probably been asked a million times on here. Here is my situation...

I am presently in a situation where my spouse is working on his PhD so we are going to be in the Des Moines area for probably the next four years. After he finishes his degree, we are going to move to Texas. Would I be better off to get a JD from Drake University in Des Moines or just wait until he is finished with his PhD then start law school when we move to Texas?

Long story short: Do I go to a TTT school now or put off law school for a few more years then attend a "better" school in the state where we will be living? Also, I am currently 30 so I do not know if I am knocking on the door of being too old to do it or not.

I appreciate your advice.

User avatar
ManoftheHour
Posts: 3403
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:03 pm

Re: TTT or Wait?

Postby ManoftheHour » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:42 pm

Definitely wait. Only go to a TTT with:

A. A full ride, or close to it.
B. It's in the area in which you will reside in for a long long time.

reverendt
Posts: 499
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:56 am

Re: TTT or Wait?

Postby reverendt » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:45 pm

What the post above said.

Without connections, forget about getting a job in Texas with a degree from Drake.
So unless you can go to Drake for free, and your spouse can support you once you move to Texas, I would wait.

User avatar
Varys
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:28 am

Re: TTT or Wait?

Postby Varys » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:49 pm

ManoftheHour wrote:Definitely wait. Only go to a TTT with:

A. A full ride, or close to it.
B. It's in the area in which you will reside in for a long long time.

reverendt wrote:What the post above said.

Without connections, forget about getting a job in Texas with a degree from Drake.
So unless you can go to Drake for free, and your spouse can support you once you move to Texas, I would wait.


That is what I am thinking. I'm really concerned about the employment aspects of Drake if we live in Texas. The better half is telling me that a JD is a JD and you can get a job as long as you do well in school so it doesn't matter where you go, but then everywhere I look online is saying that the employment prospects are tight with top tier schools and it only gets tougher the lower ranked you go. Throw on top of that the tuition costs at Drake are on par with many top schools and I'm very worried.

cinnamonchurros
Posts: 79
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:43 pm

Re: TTT or Wait?

Postby cinnamonchurros » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:53 pm

You should wait. It may not be fair to put the burden of crushing debt on your relationship with such low job prospects.

empyreanrrv
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: TTT or Wait?

Postby empyreanrrv » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:55 pm

What are your numbers? You should wait, retake, go to UT for free with in-state + scholarship. Not all JDs are created equal, and you can't predict how you'll do in school.

User avatar
Varys
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:28 am

Re: TTT or Wait?

Postby Varys » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:59 pm

empyreanrrv wrote:What are your numbers? You should wait, retake, go to UT for free with in-state + scholarship. Not all JDs are created equal, and you can't predict how you'll do in school.


3.8 GPA (Finance)
166 LSAT

I do believe I could do better on the LSAT. I took it with only a couple weeks of preparation. I'm not totally convinced I'd have to go to UT, but that would be an awesome school. More than any prestige points, I'm looking at Debt vs. Income. I want to be able to pay off the debt I accumulate in school without living on a ramen noodle diet.

empyreanrrv
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Re: TTT or Wait?

Postby empyreanrrv » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:00 pm

Most people study for months for the LSAT, and a 166 through only a couple weeks is great. Likewise your GPA is awesome too. You've got time to get that LSAT score up-- 170+ and you're looking at some great scholarships from the T14. Don't you dare rush into a TTT!!

User avatar
ArchieHicox
Posts: 108
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:32 pm

Re: TTT or Wait?

Postby ArchieHicox » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:54 pm

Not that I'm suggesting Drake (especially if you are going to move), but you should be able to get a full-tuition at Drake (and probably Iowa too) with those numbers. I can't speak to the portability of a U of Iowa degree, but it might be worth it. Something to consider for sure.

User avatar
rickgrimes69
Posts: 1107
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:56 am

Re: TTT or Wait?

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Varys wrote:
ManoftheHour wrote:Definitely wait. Only go to a TTT with:

A. A full ride, or close to it.
B. It's in the area in which you will reside in for a long long time.

reverendt wrote:What the post above said.

Without connections, forget about getting a job in Texas with a degree from Drake.
So unless you can go to Drake for free, and your spouse can support you once you move to Texas, I would wait.


That is what I am thinking. I'm really concerned about the employment aspects of Drake if we live in Texas. The better half is telling me that a JD is a JD and you can get a job as long as you do well in school so it doesn't matter where you go, but then everywhere I look online is saying that the employment prospects are tight with top tier schools and it only gets tougher the lower ranked you go. Throw on top of that the tuition costs at Drake are on par with many top schools and I'm very worried.



Your better half is wrong, and the other posters are right. Drake barely carries weight in Iowa, much less in Texas. Wait and go to a better school.

In the meantime, retaking the LSAT with your time off is a good idea. Your GPA is great, and improving even a few points gets you into T14 category.

User avatar
Varys
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:28 am

Re: TTT or Wait?

Postby Varys » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks! I appreciate everyone's input.

I think he and I are going to have a little discussion tonight at dinner.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: TTT or Wait?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:26 pm

Yeah... he's completely wrong. I hope a PhD student doesn't also think a "PhD is just a PhD" and they're all the same and you can get a job, etc. Both the PhD market and the JD market are in dire straits right now.

Drake struggles to put people in jobs in Iowa, let alone out of state. It's only a good school for people from Iowa who want to stay in Iowa and can go for free.

Here's some cold hard data. Only half of their grads got jobs in FT/LT JD-required jobs, most of them in Iowa.

And you should retake the LSAT in your time off. A 170+ would be a gamechanger for you, and just a few more points could get you a scholarship to UT.

User avatar
Varys
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:28 am

Re: TTT or Wait?

Postby Varys » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:59 pm

romothesavior wrote:Yeah... he's completely wrong. I hope a PhD student doesn't also think a "PhD is just a PhD" and they're all the same and you can get a job, etc. Both the PhD market and the JD market are in dire straits right now.

Drake struggles to put people in jobs in Iowa, let alone out of state. It's only a good school for people from Iowa who want to stay in Iowa and can go for free.

Here's some cold hard data. Only half of their grads got jobs in FT/LT JD-required jobs, most of them in Iowa.

And you should retake the LSAT in your time off. A 170+ would be a gamechanger for you, and just a few more points could get you a scholarship to UT.


He's getting his PhD in Microbiology. You know those scientist types...sometimes a little different. :lol:

If this is the route we'll be taking, I'll have a few years until law school would begin so I have nothing but time to study.

User avatar
untar614
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: TTT or Wait?

Postby untar614 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Is he planning in going into academia after getting his phd?

How do u know you will be moving to texas after he is done? (Ie what is his career plan that he wil definitely get a job in texas once he graduates)

User avatar
Varys
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:28 am

Re: TTT or Wait?

Postby Varys » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:39 pm

Wormfather wrote:Retake (with Velocity or Blueprint course), score 168+, get fully to UT, move down to Texas a year before to start your 1L seeing as how you wont be seeing him that year anyway.

Profit.

Make a check out to Ken.


I've done some looking for LSAT courses. I've heard of Blueprint, hear anything good about 7sage?



untar614 wrote:Is he planning in going into academia after getting his phd?

How do u know you will be moving to texas after he is done? (Ie what is his career plan that he wil definitely get a job in texas once he graduates)


Definitely not academia. He's got a few connections with some companies down there from other scientists he has worked with. The economy of Texas is what is really pushing us to make the decision.

User avatar
untar614
Posts: 646
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:01 pm

Re: TTT or Wait?

Postby untar614 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:58 pm

Varys wrote:
untar614 wrote:Is he planning in going into academia after getting his phd?

How do u know you will be moving to texas after he is done? (Ie what is his career plan that he wil definitely get a job in texas once he graduates)


Definitely not academia. He's got a few connections with some companies down there from other scientists he has worked with. The economy of Texas is what is really pushing us to make the decision.


Ok, that sounds a little more stable and reliable then. I was gonna tell you if he were going into academia that he'd likely be subject to moving a lot to wherever he could find a position, in which case you'd need some serious portability.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mudiverse and 3 guests