Before You Post

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Ben Franklin

Re: Before You Post

Postby Ben Franklin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:50 am

romothesavior wrote:
Ben Franklin wrote:
romothesavior wrote:You clearly don't know what sticker is, because virtually every law school will be over 100k in total cost after three years.

If you factor in COL, yes. But if one already lives in the city of the school they plan to attend, COL is a forgone conclusion. You will pay that if you don't go to law school. There are plenty of law schools with in-state tuition ranging from $20-30k/yr, so debt < $100k is possible.

Not if they're taking out debt to cover their COL.

Ben Franklin wrote:I suppose my gripe is with that 5% of TLS posters who bash people who voice a desire to attend lower ranked law schools.

You've backtracked a lot since your first post ITT, all without admitting you were wrong about any of the litany of comments you've been proven wrong on and pinned down to. You might make a TLS regular yet. You're like as dense and willfully ignorant as BearsGrl, but with more grace and tact.

Yes because the discussion has evolved from my first post. I started saying that people with no business going to law school shouldn't be disappointed when they cannot find a job, which evolved into the reasons there are no jobs out there (the abundance of law grads) which somehow then evolved into people being told by some (not all) people on TLS that it is T14 or bust, and evolved from there to the value of a T14 vs State U when considering the variation in likelihood of employment.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:51 am

Ben Franklin wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
romothesavior wrote:You clearly don't know what sticker is, because virtually every law school will be over 100k in total cost after three years. There are a small handful that are pretty cheap in tuition, but COL will put you over 100k almost every time.

And going to a low ranked school for 100k in debt is a terrible idea, especially when retake or don't go is almost always an option.

The cheapest I could find on LST was LSU in state, which is 102k with interest. Ben, what schools are you referring to?

I'm referring to any school with annual tuition < $30k. COL aside.

Tuition under 30k per year does not mean COA under 90k, even if cost of living is magically free. Interest on loans accrue while in school and tuition goes up every year.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:51 am

Well you can't really just say "COL aside" because that's a cost of going to law school, and almost everyone takes out debt to pay for it. Sure some don't due to one reason or another (spouse or savings, they own a house, etc.), and we certainly consider that when we're advising people on where/whether to go to law school.

I think the real problem here is that you stumbled onto TLS and immediately started "calling out" the community for characteristics that really don't apply at all. You've got this strawman notion of what goes on around here that is complete BS.

Ben Franklin

Postby Ben Franklin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:53 am

ImNoScar wrote:Update: per LST, there are only 3 schools with a COA under 90K:
Southern University (Resident), University of Puerto Rico, North Carolina Central (Resident).
North Dakota and Montana are close.

LST is NOT gospel. Take it with a grain of salt. Plenty of schools with in-state tuition under $30k. Boyd in Las Vegas comes to mind. I could find a few more if I cared to. This of course is tuition only, not including COL. Go live with your parents, problem solved.

Ben Franklin

Postby Ben Franklin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:54 am

romothesavior wrote:Well you can't really just say "COL aside" because that's a cost of going to law school, and almost everyone takes out debt to pay for it. Sure some don't due to one reason or another (spouse or savings, they own a house, etc.), and we certainly consider that when we're advising people on where/whether to go to law school.

I think the real problem here is that you stumbled onto TLS and immediately started "calling out" the community for characteristics that really don't apply at all. You've got this strawman notion of what goes on around here that is complete BS.

I believe I pointed out that, in my opinion, the number of "elitists" on here is around 5% of posters.

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:54 am

Ben Franklin wrote:
Southern University (Resident), University of Puerto Rico, North Carolina Central (Resident).

LST is NOT gospel. Take it with a grain of salt. Plenty of schools with in-state tuition under $30k. Boyd in Las Vegas comes to mind. I could find a few more if I cared to. This of course is tuition only, not including COL. Go live with your parents, problem solved.

Good lord, really? Do you have any idea how idiotic that sounds? (And out of state tuition is $35K. And cost of attendance without tuition/fees is estimated at $20K+.)
Last edited by A. Nony Mouse on Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:55 am

Ben Franklin wrote:

Once again, tuition under 30k a year does not yield a sticker price of under 90k, even without taking COL into account.

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:56 am

Ben Franklin wrote:

some of us are grown ass people who don't mooch of our parents. so elite.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:56 am

Ben Franklin

Postby Ben Franklin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:59 am

COL shouldn't be brushed off, but I wouldn't consider it a factor unless you plan to relocate for law school. Assuming one is staying put in their home town, they would have had to find a way to pay their rent one way or another. And yes, this does not include people with working spouses who pay the rent, paid off houses, living at home with mom and dad, etc.

Ben Franklin

Postby Ben Franklin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:01 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Ben Franklin wrote:

Good lord, really? Do you have any idea how idiotic that sounds? (And out of state tuition is $35K. And cost of attendance without tuition/fees is estimated at $20K+.)

You mention out of state tuition, when I clearly referenced in-state tuition in my argument. RC = FAIL

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:02 am

Ben Franklin wrote:COL shouldn't be brushed off, but I wouldn't consider it a factor unless you plan to relocate for law school. Assuming one is staying put in their home town, they would have had to find a way to pay their rent one way or another. And yes, this does not include people with working spouses who pay the rent, paid off houses, living at home with mom and dad, etc.

Yeah but if you weren't in law school you'd have a job to pay for rent....not loans at 7.9%

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:04 am

Ben Franklin wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Ben Franklin wrote:

You mention out of state tuition, when I clearly referenced in-state tuition in my argument. RC = FAIL

No, not RC fail. Just pointing out not everyone gets in-state tuition. And RC fails seems to be insisting that somehow COL magically doesn't matter if you don't move for law school? How does that $20K COL for Boyd not matter if you're already from Vegas? But really, it's the "just live with your parents" bit that was idiotic.
Last edited by A. Nony Mouse on Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

skers

Postby skers » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:05 am

Ruxin1 wrote:
Ben Franklin wrote:COL shouldn't be brushed off, but I wouldn't consider it a factor unless you plan to relocate for law school. Assuming one is staying put in their home town, they would have had to find a way to pay their rent one way or another. And yes, this does not include people with working spouses who pay the rent, paid off houses, living at home with mom and dad, etc.

Yeah but if you weren't in law school you'd have a job to pay for rent....not loans at 7.9%

Na dude. Mom's house. That's where you learn game.

Ben Franklin

Postby Ben Franklin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:05 am

Ruxin1 wrote:

Agreed. But you can get roommates, and squeeze a 12-15 hour/week job in there if you really wanted to get technical, which would cover your share of the rent.

Ben Franklin

Postby Ben Franklin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:06 am

TemporarySaint wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Na dude. Mom's house. That's where you learn game.

FYI I'm married, own a home, and my wife works. The suggestion was for those who might consider COL to be an additional burden.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:06 am

Ben Franklin wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Agreed. But you can get roommates, and squeeze a 12-15 hour/week job in there if you really wanted to get technical, which would cover your share of the rent.

what shithole are you living in?

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:07 am

Ben Franklin wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Where do you live that a 12-15 hour a week job pays your rent? (Also, backtracking again.)

A. Nony Mouse

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:09 am

Ben Franklin wrote:FYI I'm married, own a home, and my wife works. The suggestion was for those who might consider COL to be an additional burden.

Look, if you're making sweeping statements about law school applicants and who should and shouldn't attend and where they should go, you can't apply your own personal circumstances to everyone else. COL is part of going to law school. You happen to have someone covering it for you, but that doesn't mean that when you talk about how to decide on where to attend, you get to just leave that out of the calculation.

Ben Franklin

Postby Ben Franklin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:11 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Ben Franklin wrote:FYI I'm married, own a home, and my wife works. The suggestion was for those who might consider COL to be an additional burden.

Look, if you're making sweeping statements about law school applicants and who should and shouldn't attend and where they should go, you can't apply your own personal circumstances to everyone else. COL is part of going to law school. You happen to have someone covering it for you, but that doesn't mean that when you talk about how to decide on where to attend, you get to just leave that out of the calculation.

Unfortunately sweeping statements have been made on more than one issue ITT, due to the involvement of so many different people. The main point of the argument has been that people shouldn't be discouraged from going to law school because they didn't get into the best school. From there, it has gotten way off topic.

RELIC

Postby RELIC » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:13 am

Stop Feeding This Troll

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:13 am

sublime

Postby sublime » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:13 am

Ben Franklin

Postby Ben Franklin » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:15 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
Ben Franklin wrote:
Ruxin1 wrote:

Where do you live that a 12-15 hour a week job pays your rent? (Also, backtracking again.)

$12/hr x 15 hrs per week x 4 weeks = $720. $900/mo 3 bedroom house split 3 ways + utilities. Your nut = maybe $400 plus food and entertainment. It can be done

franklyscarlet

Postby franklyscarlet » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:18 am

Ben Franklin wrote: $900/mo 3 bedroom house

:D :D

Return to “Choosing a Law School”