Before You Post

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cooldude87

Before You Post

Postby cooldude87 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:39 am

If you get into HYS, go
If not, don't
Last edited by cooldude87 on Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:55 am, edited 4 times in total.

whereskyle

Re: Before You Post

Postby whereskyle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:53 am

that about sums it up, right?

TheZoid

Postby TheZoid » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:58 am

Not bad, but it's probably also worth noting that full ride to Barry/ave Maria/Cooley is almost certainly not worth it.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:03 am

cooldude87 wrote:If you have a full ride, go ahead (Unless its a section stacker with a ridiculous stip) :wink:

If you're paying sticker and the school is called Harvard, Yale, or Stanford, go ahead

If you have more than 50% of the cost covered though scholarships and the school is a T14, go ahead

If its anything else, don't go

voytek

Postby voytek » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:15 am

赞 +1. It's getting a little crowded in here

miller7353

Postby miller7353 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:29 am

"Don't go" is not an option for me, so can someone tell me what they think about this:

Accepted into Seton Hall, Rutgers, and Brooklyn Law. They will all cost around the same (10-15k/year) after scholarships, though Brooklyn's is harder to keep.

What's the best option?

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 am

miller7353 wrote:"Don't go" is not an option for me, so can someone tell me what they think about this:

Accepted into Seton Hall, Rutgers, and Brooklyn Law. They will all cost around the same (10-15k/year) after scholarships, though Brooklyn's is harder to keep.

What's the best option?

You need to lay out the stipulations.

Also, where do you live?

Can you commute to any of these schools?

How many times did you take the LSAT and what are your numbers?

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:38 am

Love when people say that not going is not even an option

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:47 am

miller7353 wrote:They will all cost around the same (10-15k/year) after scholarships

Unless someone is subsidizing your COL, this is not true. All three of those schools cost more than 10-15k per year in COL alone. So unless you have a full ride to each school, you're way, way off. I'm assuming you mean 10-15k/year in tuition, which means another 20k or more in COL. If that's correct, you're now over 100k in debt after three years and we haven't even begun to discuss interest. None of those schools are worth that much money, so you either need to retake or not go.

If these schools really are 10-15k/year in total cost of attendance, then retaking is still the best option, but I'd probably do Rutgers if you're from NJ.

miller7353 wrote:"Don't go" is not an option for me

Also false. No one has a gun to your head.

wfudeacons2005

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:49 am

miller7353 wrote:"Don't go" is not an option for me, so can someone tell me what they think about this:

What's the best option?

I don't get why anyone would HAVE to go to law school. However, don't touch Brooklyn if there is a high probability of you losing the scholarship. Don't touch Seton Hall's scholarships because their stipulations are generally absurd and they section stack. So, go to RU. At least if you lose your scholarship there, you'll have in-state tuition. Upon graduation you'll have a 55/45 shot at a full-time legal job and it WILL be in New Jersey so just make sure you are ready to accept that.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:51 am

cooldude87 wrote:If you have a full ride, go ahead

If you're paying sticker and the school is called Harvard, Yale, or Stanford, go ahead

If you have more than 50% of the cost covered though scholarships and the school is a T14, go ahead

If its anything else, don't go

This is dumb.

miller7353

Postby miller7353 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:55 am

dirtrida2 wrote:

What's the best option?

Also, where do you live?

For BLS: 41k/year (tuition @ 9k/yr), remaining in the top 80%
For SHU: 36k/year (tuition @ 12k/yr), maintaining a 3.0 GPA
For R-N: 12k/year (tuition @12k/yr), remaining in top 50%

I took the LSAT once and got a 161. My GPA is 3.95 from a small private school in the midwest.

I live in Elizabeth, NJ so I can commute to Rutgers/SHU easily. I'd have to move to BLS housing or commute a long way, which would be costly.

My focus is in Human Rights Law or International Law, and I heard that BLS was good for that. BLS seems to have more classes in general and the opportunity to be in the city is very attractive to me.

What do you think?

TheNextAmendment

Postby TheNextAmendment » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:56 am

dumb post..another T4 upset hes unemployed and trying to discourage everyone else..

spicyyoda17

Postby spicyyoda17 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:57 am

miller7353 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

What's the best option?

Also, where do you live?

I took the LSAT once and got a 161. My GPA is 3.95 from a small private school in the midwest.

I live in Elizabeth, NJ so I can commute to Rutgers/SHU easily. I'd have to move to BLS housing or commute a long way, which would be costly.

My focus is in Human Rights Law or International Law, and I heard that BLS was good for that. BLS seems to have more classes in general and the opportunity to be in the city is very attractive to me.

What do you think?

Flame. Had potential. Decently played, I guess.

Threw us too much too soon.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:59 am

miller7353 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

What's the best option?

Also, where do you live?

What do you think?

TLS response: Don't waste that 3.95 gpa - retake.

Since this is not the answer you're looking for and I think you may pull the trigger anyhow - do not go to Brooklyn if you can commute to one of the other schools - the COL will be a huge waste of money.

If you must go, keep holding out on SHU and RU and keep pushing negotiations.

---

edit: seeing Human Rights and International Law - I hope this is a troll, lol.

miller7353

Postby miller7353 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:
miller7353 wrote:They will all cost around the same (10-15k/year) after scholarships

Unless someone is subsidizing your COL, this is not true. All three of those schools cost more than 10-15k per year in COL alone. So unless you have a full ride to each school, you're way, way off. I'm assuming you mean 10-15k/year in tuition, which means another 20k or more in COL. If that's correct, you're now over 100k in debt after three years and we haven't even begun to discuss interest. None of those schools are worth that much money, so you either need to retake or not go.

If these schools really are 10-15k/year in total cost of attendance, then retaking is still the best option, but I'd probably do Rutgers if you're from NJ.

My COL is very low if I stay in NJ given my current situation so going to RU or SHU seem like better options for me, especially so I can keep my job. But BLS seems like a better school for what I'm interested in (human rights/international law).

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:
miller7353 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

What's the best option?

Also, where do you live?

What do you think?

Flame. Had potential. Decently played, I guess.

Threw us too much too soon.

My thoughts exactly. OP has potential, but needs to work on the "long con" aspect of trolling.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:10 pm

miller7353 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

My COL is very low if I stay in NJ given my current situation so going to RU or SHU seem like better options for me, especially so I can keep my job. But BLS seems like a better school for what I'm interested in (human rights/international law).

lol @ your career aspirations from those schools

no one is this ignorant anymore

161 flame

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:32 pm

miller7353 wrote:My focus is in Human Rights Law or International Law, and I heard that BLS was good for that.
What do you think?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

miller7353

Postby miller7353 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:37 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
miller7353 wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:

What's the best option?

Also, where do you live?

What do you think?

TLS response: Don't waste that 3.95 gpa - retake.

Since this is not the answer you're looking for and I think you may pull the trigger anyhow - do not go to Brooklyn if you can commute to one of the other schools - the COL will be a huge waste of money.

If you must go, keep holding out on SHU and RU and keep pushing negotiations.

When you say "pushing negotiations"...what does that mean. I'm sincerely a noob...and not a troll...and also not sure what a flame is...so take it easy on me

miller7353

Postby miller7353 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:38 pm

rad lulz wrote:
miller7353 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

lol @ your career aspirations from those schools

no one is this ignorant anymore

161 flame

I apologize for my ignorance. Sincerely. That's kind of why I'm on this site, because I have no idea what I'm doing and need some guidance. I don't want to make a stupid mistake choosing a school and paying too much for nothing, but I also want a place that's going to give me what I want. Do you have any constructive suggestions?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:40 pm

miller7353 wrote:I apologize for my ignorance. Sincerely. That's kind of why I'm on this site, because I have no idea what I'm doing and need some guidance. I don't want to make a stupid mistake choosing a school and paying too much for nothing, but I also want a place that's going to give me what I want. Do you have any constructive suggestions?

For that kind of work? Go to Yale or Harvard or Sanford after working for a few years in the field before law school. Not joking.

elterrible78

Postby elterrible78 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:41 pm

miller7353 wrote:I apologize for my ignorance. Sincerely. That's kind of why I'm on this site, because I have no idea what I'm doing and need some guidance. I don't want to make a stupid mistake choosing a school and paying too much for nothing, but I also want a place that's going to give me what I want. Do you have any constructive suggestions?

On the off chance you're not a troll, and because I currently have nothing better to do anyway:

You have NO shot at the kind of law you say you want to practice coming out of these schools. NONE. Coming out of the very upper echelon schools, you would have very little chance, to be frank. And there is no reason to NOT retake a 161. And there is no reason to pay ANYTHING for those schools...you won't be happy with the outcome if you do. Honestly.

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:42 pm

miller7353 wrote:
I apologize for my ignorance. Sincerely. That's kind of why I'm on this site, because I have no idea what I'm doing and need some guidance. I don't want to make a stupid mistake choosing a school and paying too much for nothing, but I also want a place that's going to give me what I want. Do you have any constructive suggestions?

If you go to those schools you can hope for a job doing local DA/PD criminal law, a state court trial court clerkship or small firm private practice where the closest you'll get to "international law" is the occasional client who doesn't speak English. If you're fine doing that for 40-50K per year go ahead.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:44 pm

elterrible78 wrote:there is no reason to NOT retake a 161.

dirtrida2 wrote: Don't waste that 3.95 gpa - retake.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”