Which school is best for the chicago/dc/mid-atlantic market?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

IUB (60k total)
75%
Maryland (4k total)
No votes
Northeastern (30k + 3k co-op stipend total)
No votes
Villanova (10k/year)
25%

Total votes: 8

stars2134

Which school is best for the chicago/dc/mid-atlantic market?

Postby stars2134 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:15 am

Here's what I'm working with so far:

I'm currently at a large, urban, public institution in the mid-atlantic. I'm leaning toward PI, but want a school that has overall excellent programs so in case i change my mind, I won't be screwed. I want to end up in either D.C. or the mid-atlantic region, but the Chicago market is OK too.

IUB- 60k total scholly. I'm willing to adjust to the area. The school/campus/library is absolutely breathtaking. Enjoyed meeting with the Dean of Admissions. Everyone is so friendly. open-door policy with professors IUB is now T25. Felt like a "right fit" for me. My hesitation lies with placement.

Maryland- hated baltimore and the law school facilities. houses largest PI firm on east coast. feeds directly into D.C. market. open door policy with professors. I was SO disappointed with ASD.

Northeastern- visiting in a few weeks! apprehensive about the the co-op program lack of grades/ranks. I know this is a big PI school, but what about everything else?

Villanova- very familiar with the area. Not too sure if this is worth it.

So, I'm not entirely sure about how important rankings are, but in terms of finances and rankings, IUB is a winner...just want others' opinions.

Thanks!

p.s. sorry about the poor grammar, etc. I had to write this quickly!
Last edited by stars2134 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

eav1277

Re: Which school for PI in chicago/dc/mid-atlantic market?

Postby eav1277 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:20 am

If you are PI minded, the debt coming out of those places would scare me. I would only really consider IUB but only if they gave you more money. I am also PI minded. I'd look at the debt you'll come out with and the school's LRAP (otherwise, you'll be drowning in debt)

Unless your rich (then you are free to spend your money and not worry about debt)

eav1277

Re: Which school for PI in chicago/dc/mid-atlantic market?

Postby eav1277 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:21 am

Also, i'd list the total COA for all of those schools (it makes it easier to compare)

cinephile

Re: Which school is best for the chicago/dc/mid-atlantic market?

Postby cinephile » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:59 am

You probably won't get Chicago from IU-B, but if you're cool with living in Indiana (and you're from Indiana or a neighboring state) then that should work out alright. Are you getting in-state tuition?

Northeastern is objectively terrible and while I don't really know Villanova, I'll assume it's terrible too. You do not want to go to a school where it's like 4th or 5th in its own market. You simply won't find work there and it won't travel.

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:07 am

for the chicaco/dc/mid-atlantic market

So the eastern half of the US?

The answer is none of them. None of these schools will carry outside of the immediate city they are located in. And all of your options are far too expensive.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:13 am

None, because they have bad job prospects and are too expensive.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”