Advice From a 3L on Choosing a Law School Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
eav1277

Bronze

Re: Advice From a 3L on Choosing a Law School

Post by eav1277 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:46 am

T9 does exist. straight from wikipedia "T-9, which stands for Text on 9 keys, is a patented[1] predictive text technology for mobile phones (specifically those that contain a 3x4 numeric keypad), originally developed by Tegic Communications, now part of Nuance Communications."

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:52 am

eav1277 wrote:T9 does exist. straight from wikipedia "T-9, which stands for Text on 9 keys, is a patented[1] predictive text technology for mobile phones (specifically those that contain a 3x4 numeric keypad), originally developed by Tegic Communications, now part of Nuance Communications."
burned.

holmesboy

New

Post by holmesboy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:57 am

swc27 wrote:Credentials: graduating top 25% from a T9, respected by my peers and professors, employed doing what I want to do. Also, still glad I went to law school, which is more than can be said for many of my classmates. I waited till my late 20s to start law school, so my wing-spreading days were well behind me.

No matter how brilliant you are, or how good your school's job stats are (hint: within ranking bands, they're pretty much the same), if you're miserable, you won't succeed.
If this is true, then why is there a T9?

swc27

New

Post by swc27 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:57 am

Misery loves company, ya'll. Have fun hating your lives for the next three years while you get that JD, then the 30+ years after that when you're trapped in a big firm job with a prick boss, a mortgage you can barely afford and a gold digger wife you can't stand all b/c you didn't think carefully about choosing your law school based on fit. Unhappy now, unhappy later.

Seems like most of you are well on your way. And we wonder why people hate lawyers.

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:58 am

But I'm not burning him, he goes to a top school by all accounts. He can call it watever the heck he wants. I'd have done horrible, unforgivable things to get into berk :( lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:59 am

Swc...I'm not hating. i actually agree with you if you read earlier posts. TLS just has a narrow mindset on a lot of things. I totally agree with your happiness affecting motivation (def true for me). I'm considering the east coast but hate cold weather :(

EvilClinton

Bronze

Post by EvilClinton » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:00 am

swc27 wrote:Misery loves company, ya'll. Have fun hating your lives for the next three years while you get that JD, then the 30+ years after that when you're trapped in a big firm job with a prick boss, a mortgage you can barely afford and a gold digger wife you can't stand all b/c you didn't think carefully about choosing your law school based on fit. Unhappy now, unhappy later.

Seems like most of you are well on your way. And we wonder why people hate lawyers.
Cool story bro.

swc27

New

Post by swc27 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:02 am

EvilClinton wrote:
swc27 wrote:Misery loves company, ya'll. Have fun hating your lives for the next three years while you get that JD, then the 30+ years after that when you're trapped in a big firm job with a prick boss, a mortgage you can barely afford and a gold digger wife you can't stand all b/c you didn't think carefully about choosing your law school based on fit. Unhappy now, unhappy later.

Cool story bro.
Bra, bro. ;)

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:07 am

bizzybone1313 wrote:
EvilClinton wrote:
bizzybone1313 wrote:The advice about being happy seems credited. TLS gave me a lot of ish because I created a thread seeking to avoid the most conservative T-14 schools. Based on that thread, I definitely know I do not want to attend Virginia and probably neither U of Chicago. Why should I pay $200K to be in an environment where I will be miserable?
This is a stupid reason to choose any school. There are other factors that will matter much more in the long run.
There are still about 10-12 other schools to choose from in the T-14. Being surrounded by intolerant peeps in undergrad probably cost me a few A's. I cannot afford that type of environment in LS. Almost everyone that applies to the T-14 does not apply to some of the T-14.
You're the most intolerant person ever. I hope you're not gunning for big law.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:27 am

This thread has all kinds of fail.

megagnarley

Bronze

Post by megagnarley » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:51 am

eav1277

Bronze

Post by eav1277 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:57 am

megagnarley wrote:

This def made me :lol:

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:02 am

I'm just gonna get the house and wife which make me happiest regardless of cost or location and as long as both my house and wife are objectively T9

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:05 am

I bet OP would support one to matriculate to UCI and live in california

bizzybone1313

Silver

Post by bizzybone1313 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:12 am

rad lulz wrote:

I'm just gonna get the house and wife which make me happiest regardless of cost or location and as long as both my house and wife are objectively T9
I think I am going to marry a foreign born girl to have more of a chance of getting a "T-14" quality girl. Most American women are like many of the T-30 schools: They look real good with a cursory inspection, but upon a closer look they are "trap like" in nature and will ruin you.

Gold

Post by 052220151 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:14 am

swc27 wrote:gold digger wife
Sign me up!

rickgrimes69

Silver

Post by rickgrimes69 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:09 am

swc27 wrote:
Mr. Frodo wrote:
sinfiery wrote:Has to be Michigan.
+1 most def
And?
it's hilarious how you made this thread just to make yourself feel better about picking a school with TTT employment stats

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:13 am

Honestly, I think OP's general point about emphasizing personal fit is a great one, and a point that too often gets lost on TLS (or, at least, pushed to very back of the pack, after all other considerations). There's a lot to be said for being happy with your school decision. And I think personal fit should play a much larger role than it does (or seems to) when choosing between similar schools, even if the money is different.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:01 pm

beachbum wrote:Honestly, I think OP's general point about emphasizing personal fit is a great one, and a point that too often gets lost on TLS (or, at least, pushed to very back of the pack, after all other considerations). There's a lot to be said for being happy with your school decision. And I think personal fit should play a much larger role than it does (or seems to) when choosing between similar schools, even if the money is different.
He swears off picking a school based on rankings, then makes up a completely BS "T9". Yeah, going to Michigan is so much better than Northwestern. Ok. :roll:

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

beachbum wrote:Honestly, I think OP's general point about emphasizing personal fit is a great one, and a point that too often gets lost on TLS (or, at least, pushed to very back of the pack, after all other considerations). There's a lot to be said for being happy with your school decision. And I think personal fit should play a much larger role than it does (or seems to) when choosing between similar schools, even if the money is different.
But the thing is, the advice isn't about choosing based on personal fit. The advice is about choosing based on personal fit once you've already narrowed the choices down based on rankings and money. So I don't get quite why this is insightful - of course after you've figured out the rankings and money options, you choose based on personal fit. The OP is hardly advising people to wander the earth, visiting random law schools until they find one that "feels" right. For instance, personally I think I'd be very comfortable and happy at Yale, but that's completely irrelevant given I didn't remotely have the numbers for Yale.

TheZoid

Bronze

Post by TheZoid » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:36 pm

Happiness is important and may impact performance but that was some pretty dumb shit for someone with good credentials. You paint a woefully incomplete picture that could be horribly misapplied by ignorant 0Ls.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:44 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
But the thing is, the advice isn't about choosing based on personal fit. The advice is about choosing based on personal fit once you've already narrowed the choices down based on rankings and money. So I don't get quite why this is insightful - of course after you've figured out the rankings and money options, you choose based on personal fit. The OP is hardly advising people to wander the earth, visiting random law schools until they find one that "feels" right. For instance, personally I think I'd be very comfortable and happy at Yale, but that's completely irrelevant given I didn't remotely have the numbers for Yale.
You're misunderstanding my point. I'm simply talking about relative weight: personal fit tends to be given little or no weight relative to other considerations, and I think that's a poor way of doing business.

So, for example, say you're deciding between T14 schools (as many on TLS are). I think it would absolutely be rational to choose, say, UVA over Michigan with a $30k scholarship if UVA offers a much better personal fit. Location is also given too much weight amongst T14 schools - Duke is just as unlikely to open up the south as Michigan is the midwest. So I guess what I'm saying is that, at least for most T14 schools, personal fit should be a major (if not dominant) factor - which is much different than what the TLS echo chamber tends to believe.

The calculus would certainly be different for lower-ranked schools. But it seems to me that most TLS users are not choosing between Rutgers and SMU.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:30 pm

beachbum wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
You're misunderstanding my point. I'm simply talking about relative weight: personal fit tends to be given little or no weight relative to other considerations, and I think that's a poor way of doing business.

So, for example, say you're deciding between T14 schools (as many on TLS are). I think it would absolutely be rational to choose, say, UVA over Michigan with a $30k scholarship if UVA offers a much better personal fit. Location is also given too much weight amongst T14 schools - Duke is just as unlikely to open up the south as Michigan is the midwest. So I guess what I'm saying is that, at least for most T14 schools, personal fit should be a major (if not dominant) factor - which is much different than what the TLS echo chamber tends to believe.

The calculus would certainly be different for lower-ranked schools. But it seems to me that most TLS users are not choosing between Rutgers and SMU.
I was actually referring to the OP's argument, which expressly took rankings and money into consideration. But no, I don't think personal fit really should outweigh money, or considering where a school has stronger placement. When all else is equal, sure; if you're fine with either the south or the midwest, and you're choosing between Duke and Michigan, sure, go with which one feels better. But if you know you want the south, I don't think you can say Michigan is going to give you the same opportunities as Duke. That doesn't mean you can't get to the south from Michigan, just that it's tougher. And I think personal fit has to encompass confidence in your future placement in the region where you want to work, and your comfort with the amount of debt you're taking on, as much as liking the place you're going to be for 3 years. The conversation here makes personal fit sound like aesthetics - I like this town better, I like the "feel" of this school better.

But then, I see law school as an entirely instrumental thing, and I turned down the place that "felt" better for the place that better served my long-term goals, and don't regret it at all (I liked where I went to school fine; I just liked the feel of the other school more. But it wasn't going to get me where I wanted to go).

Dr. Dre

Gold

Post by Dr. Dre » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:35 pm

"It is better to be a human being dissatisfied than a pig satisfied; better to be Socrates dissatisfied than a fool satisfied. And if the fool, or the pig, are a different opinion, it is because they only know their own side of the question."
John Stuart Mill, Utilitarianism (1863)

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:56 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:But no, I don't think personal fit really should outweigh money, or considering where a school has stronger placement. When all else is equal, sure; if you're fine with either the south or the midwest, and you're choosing between Duke and Michigan, sure, go with which one feels better. But if you know you want the south, I don't think you can say Michigan is going to give you the same opportunities as Duke. That doesn't mean you can't get to the south from Michigan, just that it's tougher.
Making that distinction between Duke and Michigan (or similar schools) is like parsing AIII placement, though. Unless you do incredibly well, Duke is probably not going to open up markets that Michigan couldn't open, and vice versa. If you're indifferent between Duke and Michigan and think you may want to work in the south then, sure, go to Duke - it can't hurt. But if you have a real intention of working in the south, then don't attend Duke over Michigan for the purpose of fulfilling that desire - because it probably ain't gonna happen. Which is why I think fit should take precedence over geography within the T14. (Of course, this is all on a sliding scale. The less strongly you feel about fit, the more emphasis you can put on geography. But if one school seems like a great personal fit, then go ahead and attend that school.)

A. Nony Mouse wrote:And I think personal fit has to encompass confidence in your future placement in the region where you want to work, and your comfort with the amount of debt you're taking on, as much as liking the place you're going to be for 3 years. The conversation here makes personal fit sound like aesthetics - I like this town better, I like the "feel" of this school better.
Again, within the T14, geography takes on a far less significant role. Regardless, "fit" does encompass more than what you assume here. It's everything physical and immediate: campus, weather, location, surrounding community, student culture, etc. (And we shouldn't underplay this: I certainly put a premium on being happy and comfortable during three of the more intense - and determinative - years of one's life.) But, for many of us (including myself), it's more than that. You will, after all, always be an alum of that school. And this goes to many different things - from future connections through the alumni network, to something as mundane as following your school's sports teams. And, for all of this, if we're talking a difference of, say $30k - I think it can be well worth it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”