Boston College vs. Seton Hall Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which would you choose?

Boston College (Sticker Maybe)
43%
Seton Hall (Full Ride)
57%

Total votes: 76

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Boston College vs. Seton Hall

Post by romothesavior » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:46 pm

5 points? Dude, that would be a huge difference.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:39 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
DaRascal wrote:It's the Heart of Legal Opportunity. :)

I've now rationalized going though. Just need to bust ass and do well, get a nice 60k job, pay off my undergrad loans three years after graduation, and then spend the rest of my late 20's having fun. :P
Do you not believe in data? Or do you just think it doesn't apply to you? 60k from SH in a legal job is a very good outcome, not something to settle for so you can "spend time having fun."
Ok I've finally got some closure on this. I've gone back on forth on this for several days but now I'm SUPREMELY CONFIDENT about what to do!

I'm not going to put my deposit down at SH until 11:59 on April 15th. I'm going to wait on my remaining T14 decisions and then put it down and then I'll ride the T14 WL's until the second deposit time (June 3rd). BC is out of the question but I think if I get into a T14 somehow I've gotta just go for it and gamble. Seton Hall just doesn't seem like a good option because it doesn't have nearly the same trajectory for a successful long-term legal career.

So you've all convinced me now that it's sneak into T14 now or sit out and retake. 8)

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:42 pm

DaRascal wrote:
ImNoScar wrote:
DaRascal wrote:It's the Heart of Legal Opportunity. :)

I've now rationalized going though. Just need to bust ass and do well, get a nice 60k job, pay off my undergrad loans three years after graduation, and then spend the rest of my late 20's having fun. :P
Do you not believe in data? Or do you just think it doesn't apply to you? 60k from SH in a legal job is a very good outcome, not something to settle for so you can "spend time having fun."
Ok I've finally got some closure on this. I've gone back on forth on this for several days but now I'm SUPREMELY CONFIDENT about what to do!

I'm not going to put my deposit down at SH until 11:59 on April 15th. I'm going to wait on my remaining T14 decisions and then put it down and then I'll ride the T14 WL's until the second deposit time (June 3rd). BC is out of the question but I think if I get into a T14 somehow I've gotta just go for it and gamble. Seton Hall just doesn't seem like a good option because it doesn't have nearly the same trajectory for a successful long-term legal career.

So you've all convinced me now that it's sneak into T14 now or sit out and retake. 8)
I think that's the right decision. You could snag a T14 next cycle with a retake if you don't get in off a WL this year. You are definitely making the right call.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:27 pm

I don't even think it would make sense to put down the first deposit at SH now that I think about it. Just should start studying for a June retake. And I'm held at Northwestern so maybe even working for a few years without a retake could get me in. But then again my GPA did slip by 0.1 in my senior year...
Besides, I think I could use the a few years of work to pay off my undergrad loans and save some money for living expenses.

But yeah thanks for the help everybody

stuckinthemiddle

Bronze

Post by stuckinthemiddle » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:09 pm

OP, you gotta work on your reasoning skills before banking on doing well enough in law school to get biglaw. :lol: I have never read a greater collection of illogical statements than what you've offered up in this thread. :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:13 pm

Congrats on the choice to retake!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:16 pm

cinephile wrote:Congrats on the choice to retake!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:19 pm

ImNoScar wrote:
cinephile wrote:Congrats on the choice to retake!
You are reborn in my eyes. Go forth and conquer.

MarcusAurelius

Bronze

Post by MarcusAurelius » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:25 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:
DaRascal wrote:I actually lived in Newark ten years ago and I'm from North Jersey. The school doesn't look that impressive but I'm fine with Newark.

The main downfall to me was that the school lacked amenities. The library was also very dreary and had very limited studying space.

For their tuition price, I expected a lot more. I enjoy a campus atmosphere and like to be in close proximity to the gym, caf, library, and my residence.
You've clearly never been inside the rutgers camden library

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WahooLaw24

Bronze

Post by WahooLaw24 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:06 am

Good choice OP, best of luck. Hope you revive this thread one day and tell us about how you are going to a T14 w/ $$$.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:01 pm

Thanks!! BC it is unless I come off one of these waitlists. Sent my deposit in today, I'm pumped! Thanks for the all advice, guys! It was really helpful. Time to prep for my retake.

dougfunny

New

Post by dougfunny » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:29 pm

DaRascal wrote:Thanks!! BC it is unless I come off one of these waitlists. Sent my deposit in today, I'm pumped! Thanks for the all advice, guys! It was really helpful. Time to prep for my retake.
He has to be trolling

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:32 am

Why would I be trolling? BC's an amazing school and I'm glad to have been accepted so I put my deposit down there today. :P

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:37 am

DaRascal wrote:Why would I be trolling? BC's an amazing school and I'm glad to have been accepted so I put my deposit down there today. :P
Thought you were waiting a year and retaking?

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:55 am

Rascal, bro. I have been reading your posts since you started LSAT prepping in the fall of 2012, in LSAT waiting threads, and elsewhere about these forums. I am not trying to put you down or anything, but you need to really reflect on what the good people here at TLS have said to you. They have absolutely nothing to gain from any decision you make, so you should not assume or suspect that they have ulterior motives to yours. They have presented a very clear scenario to you in hopes that you will not preemptively ruin your life.

There is absolutely no reason that you should not retake the LSAT and apply next cycle, assuming you have achieved a score that will allow you to make a financially responsible decision for your future and the future of your genetic code.

Good luck man. I really hope you make it.

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:03 am

Haha yeah I never assumed there were ulterior motives or anything like that. I know everyone here is trying to help but I just think with my GPA slipping to the high 3.4 range (was 3.6 when I was admitted to BC) and my PT average being in the mid-160's when I was prepping hard, I think going to BC right now wouldn't be a terrible decision if I can't get off these waitlists.

The way I see it, BC offers a decent shot at Boston biglaw 35-40% if the economy recovers like it's expected to that isn't too far off from what a T14 that I could get into would offer (50-60%) and with my GPA dropping about 0.1, I might have to add two points on a retake to make up for that.

Come on... This is BC... It's not like we're talking Hofstra or Syracuse at sticker. :P
Just saying that if I miss biglaw there'd be a solid LRAP program to save me!

CR2012

Bronze

Post by CR2012 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:15 am

DaRascal wrote:Haha yeah I never assumed there were ulterior motives or anything like that. I know everyone here is trying to help but I just think with my GPA slipping to the high 3.4 range (was 3.6 when I was admitted to BC) and my PT average being in the mid-160's when I was prepping hard, I think going to BC right now wouldn't be a terrible decision if I can't get off these waitlists.

The way I see it, BC offers a decent shot at Boston biglaw 35-40% if the economy recovers like it's expected to that isn't too far off from what a T14 that I could get into would offer (50-60%) and with my GPA dropping about 0.1, I might have to add two points on a retake to make up for that.

Come on... This is BC... It's not like we're talking Hofstra or Syracuse at sticker. :P

BC sticker at repayment- $232,807
This figure is assuming a tuition increase of 3.5% each year and takes into account interest accrued during law school.

Standard Student Loan Repayment Options

Approximate total payments (10-year level payments) $332,722 which is $2,773 per month

Approximate total payments (25-year level payments) $519,450 which is $1,732 per month

Source: http://www.law.georgetown.edu/admission ... geid=61621

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 4:55 am

BC's estimates are way overrated! I'll admit that tuition costs 43,000 but if you live in a really cheap apartment (700-800/month) and live frugally you can really cut into the cost of attendance numbers. I feel like I can keep it in the 180k range and then if I work over the summers it could go down to like 150. Not bad. 8)

gatorfan163287

New

Post by gatorfan163287 » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:18 am

I think you should go to BC.....you seem like the kind of person I'd like to have in the class that would boost my class rank easily.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:28 am

DaRascal wrote:Haha yeah I never assumed there were ulterior motives or anything like that. I know everyone here is trying to help but I just think with my GPA slipping to the high 3.4 range (was 3.6 when I was admitted to BC) and my PT average being in the mid-160's when I was prepping hard, I think going to BC right now wouldn't be a terrible decision if I can't get off these waitlists.

Lol @ this wishful "recovery" thinking

You pulled those numbers out your ass

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:58 am

What are your stats?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:04 am

We'll see, gatorfan. I just need to finish higher than you. 8)

Stats are 3.54/161

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:22 am

I think you're trolling, but I always considered you a respectable member of the forum, it doesn't add up. Do you seriously not see retaking as your only viable option?

DaRascal

Gold

Post by DaRascal » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:50 am

I am retaking in June but really just to give myself to get a chance to get off some waitlists. I'm going to prep harder this time but I feel like I need at least a 166 to mitigate my GPA which will be high 3.4 range by graduation to justify reapplying (and even then look at what happened to twentypercentmore this cycle). Can you honestly say that 3.48(?)/164(?) is much better than 3.61 (what I got into BC with)/161. I'm admittedly slightly below average student at a tough undergrad but I still should have stayed in the 3.5 range. I have 40k in UG loans so if I don't go this cycle, it's going to most likely be three years before I can go to law school because I'll have to pay those off. The whole issue of opportunity cost and not wanting to go to law school at 26 and completely lose out on my 20s. :?

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:55 am

DaRascal wrote:I am retaking in June but really just to give myself to get a chance to get off some waitlists. I'm going to prep harder this time but I feel like I need at least a 166 to mitigate my GPA which will be high 3.4 range by graduation to justify reapplying (and even then look at what happened to twentypercentmore this cycle). Can you honestly say that 3.48(?)/164(?) is much better than 3.61 (what I got into BC with)/161. I'm admittedly slightly below average student at a tough undergrad but I still should have stayed in the 3.5 range. I have 40k in UG loans so if I don't go this cycle, it's going to most likely be three years before I can go to law school because I'll have to pay those off. The whole issue of opportunity cost and not wanting to go to law school at 26 and completely lose out on my 20s. :?
Why stop at 166? Shoot for the 170s! You can do it. You'd have great new options.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”