Top 5 factors in considering a school?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
superhopefulwoo

Top 5 factors in considering a school?

Postby superhopefulwoo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:54 pm

I would like to see a TLS version of the rankings, because we already know it would be superior to what is out there. I'd like to make an attempt to do this, so could I get a vote on what the top 5 factors are in considering law school attendance?

So far I am looking at a list like this:
For most of these, I could use LST or other resources if anyone has any suggestions

Employment score
Underemployment score
Public Interest & Big Law Opportunities (in equal consideration)
Incoming student numbers (I'm not sure how much it should be emphasized though)

Edit: Debt (cost of attendance) - Maybe a debt to job score ratio would be a good way to measure Employment, Underemployment and debt all together?

Alumni Network - I guess this should be measured through number of students vs. number of years open? I'm not sure how I could calculate this in numbers

Quality of Life - I wish I could add this in, but I don't think it would be feasible.

And that is all I could think of so far. I'm no data collecting pro, so if anyone wants to step in and help, I am all open.
Last edited by superhopefulwoo on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Re: Top 5 factors in considering a school?

Postby Hutz_and_Goodman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:57 pm

1. employment numbers
2. debt to attend
3. desire to practice in the region (if not T14)
4. alumni network
5. desire to live in school's location for three years

In this order, but if you don't have 1, 2, and 3 set then don't go.

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:59 pm

Rankings are stupid because after job opportunities, everyone weighs the other stuff differently. There's no way to deal with that in an ordinal ranking. In fact, judging by some of the posts on here, some people seem to weigh things like weather over job opportunities, so even that is subjective, albeit moronically so.

star fox

Postby star fox » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:03 pm

Jobs

Cost of Attendance

Any other BS like quality of campus, specific programs, that kinda stuff

superhopefulwoo

Postby superhopefulwoo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:05 pm

dixiecupdrinking wrote:Rankings are stupid because after job opportunities, everyone weighs the other stuff differently. There's no way to deal with that in an ordinal ranking. In fact, judging by some of the posts on here, some people seem to weigh things like weather over job opportunities, so even that is subjective, albeit moronically so.

Well, I guess that is why I'm trying to make a ranking that grades schools on the importance of the majority of TLSers perspective since I've seen few regular posters who chose a location merely because of weather. If anything, I'll just make a list myself for me to choose schools :P But, I agree that it is hard to rank schools once you get to regionals...

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:12 pm

Jobs
Jobs
Jobs
Jobs
Jobs

150s_or_bust

Postby 150s_or_bust » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:15 pm

Hot girls :wink:

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:16 pm

150s_or_bust wrote:Hot girls

superhopefulwoo

Postby superhopefulwoo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:26 pm

warandpeace wrote:

But that's already transparent. Go to the warmest states = less clothes = hot girls. Perhaps grading by average warmth of state throughout the year would work.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:39 pm

superhopefulwoo wrote:
warandpeace wrote:

But that's already transparent. Go to the warmest states = less clothes = hot girls. Perhaps grading by average warmth of state throughout the year would work.

less clothes do not make a girl hot :lol: please do not give the whales any ideas

warandpeace

Postby warandpeace » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:41 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
superhopefulwoo wrote:
warandpeace wrote:

less clothes do not make a girl hot :lol: please do not give the whales any ideas

This

150s_or_bust

Postby 150s_or_bust » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:42 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
superhopefulwoo wrote:
warandpeace wrote:

HAHAHA

Whales kind of harsh... please refer to grenades
Last edited by 150s_or_bust on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superhopefulwoo

Postby superhopefulwoo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:43 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
superhopefulwoo wrote:
warandpeace wrote:

As a proud whale who wears little clothes herself, I find this offensive. However, I still say the warmest states works because in cold states, you can't always see what you're getting... it is all hidden under layers of clothing.

pacifica

Postby pacifica » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:54 pm

150s_or_bust wrote:Hot girls :wink:

Naw brah, that alone ain't enough. You wanna make sure the law school is that university's premier swagger profession. i.e. Penn has lots of hot girls from what I hear, but dem Wharton swoopers will make you look silly

megagnarley

Postby megagnarley » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:02 pm

warandpeace wrote:

USC

star fox

Postby star fox » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:59 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
superhopefulwoo wrote:
warandpeace wrote:

Girls in warm weather states know that there is more months of the year where skin is revealed, thus they are more likely to work out and maintain their bodies. And thus be more likely to be hot.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:05 pm

How much does alumni network actually help? I feel like it might help you network/take a look at your resume, but if you had a good GPA and resume to begin with, wouldn't you have had a good chance anyways?

superhopefulwoo

Postby superhopefulwoo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:06 pm

john7234797 wrote:Girls in warm weather states know that there is more months of the year where skin is revealed, thus they are more likely to work out and maintain their bodies. And thus be more likely to be hot.

this!! and I'm hoping my sarcasm is apparent... as far as I know I am not a whale :D

superhopefulwoo

Postby superhopefulwoo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:07 pm

eav1277 wrote:How much does alumni network actually help? I feel like it might help you network/take a look at your resume, but if you had a good GPA and resume to begin with, wouldn't you have had a good chance anyways?

I know of a few cases where a person was selected because they shared the same law school as the employer vs perhaps a higher ranked school. I've been hired for a few jobs just because of alumni networking with my undergrad so I wouldn't dismiss the strength of a network - it just wouldn't be the highest priority IMO.

curepure

Postby curepure » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:35 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
superhopefulwoo wrote:
warandpeace wrote:

Girls in warm weather states know that there is more months of the year where skin is revealed, thus they are more likely to work out and maintain their bodies. And thus be more likely to be hot.

While some might overeat ice creams and offset the workout

StylinNProfilin

Postby StylinNProfilin » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:49 pm

megagnarley wrote:
warandpeace wrote:

USC
Texas

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:57 pm

weighted employment score (1 point for Biglaw, A3, "prestigious" gov/PI, .5 points for other, .25 for school created jobs)
Average COA - based on cost - median grant amount
LRAP

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:59 pm

superhopefulwoo wrote:
eav1277 wrote:How much does alumni network actually help? I feel like it might help you network/take a look at your resume, but if you had a good GPA and resume to begin with, wouldn't you have had a good chance anyways?

I know of a few cases where a person was selected because they shared the same law school as the employer vs perhaps a higher ranked school. I've been hired for a few jobs just because of alumni networking with my undergrad so I wouldn't dismiss the strength of a network - it just wouldn't be the highest priority IMO.

alumni network, prestige, entering class stats are all indicators for jobs. Since there's access to the actual information, those factors are wholly irrelevant.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”