Another Wake vs. UNC thread (please read anyway)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
1Lin2013

Another Wake vs. UNC thread (please read anyway)

Postby 1Lin2013 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:50 pm

I know there are a ton of threads on this topic (I've searched the forums and read them all), and the consensus I've seemed to find in them is that these schools are roughly equal if one wishes to practice in North Carolina.

However, the more I've looked into each school's employment numbers, the more concerned I am with Wake Forest -- LST has Wake nearly 13 percentage points lower in terms of employment score. I currently have acceptances to both and a strong scholarship offer at Wake. Should I be concerned by the gap in employment numbers? Or is the consensus re: job prospects in the state of North Carolina correct and the numbers reflect some other inequality between the schools (out-of-state job prospects are worse at Wake, perhaps?).

I only ask because I'm getting closer to time to make a final decision, and this has been increasingly troublesome to me. Apologies in advance if I'm somehow asking a moronic question (it wouldn't be the first time).

Wakelaw15

Re: Another Wake vs. UNC thread (please read anyway)

Postby Wakelaw15 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:01 pm

What is the difference in cost of attendance?

If it's less than 20k, then I could see taking UNC, especially if you want to do public interest in the future. There are also other intangibles to consider (living in CH vs. W-S for instance).

If it's more than 20k, there's really no discussion, and you've got to go Wake. The private firm employment is very similar, and at the end of the day you will have similar outcomes at either place.

1Lin2013

Postby 1Lin2013 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:54 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:What is the difference in cost of attendance?

If it's less than 20k, then I could see taking UNC, especially if you want to do public interest in the future. There are also other intangibles to consider (living in CH vs. W-S for instance).

If it's more than 20k, there's really no discussion, and you've got to go Wake. The private firm employment is very similar, and at the end of the day you will have similar outcomes at either place.

The difference is less than 20k. But I'm pretty debt-averse, so if all things were equal, I'd likely end up at Wake. But the employment numbers scare me. And I do think I like the Triangle better than W-S, but that's not exactly high on my list of priorities.

dextermorgan

Postby dextermorgan » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:21 pm

1Lin2013 wrote:I know there are a ton of threads on this topic (I've searched the forums and read them all), and the consensus I've seemed to find in them is that these schools are roughly equal if one wishes to practice in North Carolina.

Those threads are wrong. UNC is superior.

DaleCooper

Postby DaleCooper » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:04 pm

dextermorgan wrote:Those threads are wrong. UNC is superior.

Not by a huge amount, but yes. If it's less than $20k, go to UNC. Three years in Chapel Hill vs. three years Winston-Salem is almost worth that alone, and the political/alumni connections put it over.

Also, basketball and stuff.

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:49 pm

W-S is not that bad, folks. It's just that it's a "good place to raise kids" sort of place... a little sleepy but nice. Chapel Hill is a lot more fun, but if you are thinking about settling down where you go to school, W-S is nice place for that.

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:01 pm

Tagged - relevant to my interests. Decent scholly at Wake and still waiting on the Hearn/Rose scholly apps to come through. I didnt even bother applying to UNC - I am out of state and knew I probably wouldn't see any money.

Trout et al

Postby Trout et al » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:23 pm

dirtrida2 wrote:Tagged - relevant to my interests. Decent scholly at Wake and still waiting on the Hearn/Rose scholly apps to come through. I didnt even bother applying to UNC - I am out of state and knew I probably wouldn't see any money.

whats a Hearn/Rose scholly, brother?

dirtrida2

Postby dirtrida2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:34 pm

Trout et al wrote:
dirtrida2 wrote:Tagged - relevant to my interests. Decent scholly at Wake and still waiting on the Hearn/Rose scholly apps to come through. I didnt even bother applying to UNC - I am out of state and knew I probably wouldn't see any money.

whats a Hearn/Rose scholly, brother?

Offered by wake forest. Competitive scholarships. 15k and 9k annually - good standing stip.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”