Where Should I Go?

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Where Should I Go?

Penn (145K debt)
19%
Virginia (115K debt)
28%
Michigan (90K)
22%
Vanderbilt (30K)
19%
William and Mary (0)
9%
Georgia (0)
3%

Total votes: 32

Nationals27

Where Should I Go?

Postby Nationals27 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:50 pm

Penn (145K in debt) v. Virginia (115K) v. Michigan (90K) v. Vanderbilt (30K) v. William and Mary (0) v. Georgia (0)

These are the schools I'm deciding between. My parents are contributing money, which accounts for the lower debt numbers. Virginia is in-state for me, Michigan offered 10k/year, Vandy 25k/year (plus that extra 5k), and W&M 20k/year plus in-state tuition (which really is in-state tuition).

I have significant ties to the DC area and would probably like to end up there (although, I know that the DC legal market is brutal). Beyond DC, I potentially have ties to Atlanta, and maybe Richmond.

Thanks for the help.

muskies970

Re: Where Should I Go?

Postby muskies970 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:00 pm

Have you visited the schools to see where you feel most comfortable? Also, what kind of law would you like to practice. IMO some of these top choices are pretty much comparable for the debt level you would be incurring to career prospects so you might as well go where you think you will be most successful/ happy.

hneedle

Postby hneedle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:07 pm

I'm almost in the exact boat as you with schools and debt (plus/minus some schools). For me, I'm going to visit and see where I best fit in. It's important to me to like the campus and my peers where I'll be staying for three years. That might help make/break your decision.

Honestly, I've always liked W&M, and I think I'm leaning towards there or Indiana (both $0 debt).

Nationals27

Postby Nationals27 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:21 pm

muskies970 wrote:Have you visited the schools to see where you feel most comfortable? Also, what kind of law would you like to practice. IMO some of these top choices are pretty much comparable for the debt level you would be incurring to career prospects so you might as well go where you think you will be most successful/ happy.

I've visited UVA and really liked it. I plan to visit Penn, Mich, and Vanderbilt in the next month. I know I'd be comfortable at UVA (already familiar with Cville / know some people that will be there), but doesn't mean I wouldn't like the other places as well.

I only have a very general idea of what kind of law I'd like to practice. I think I'd like to pursue a career within a government regulatory / public policy related field, but I'm obviously not completely sure.

NoJob

Postby NoJob » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:56 pm

Nationals27 wrote:Penn (145K in debt) v. Virginia (115K) v. Michigan (90K) v. Vanderbilt (30K) v. William and Mary (0) v. Georgia (0)

These are the schools I'm deciding between. My parents are contributing money, which accounts for the lower debt numbers. Virginia is in-state for me, Michigan offered 10k/year, Vandy 25k/year (plus that extra 5k), and W&M 20k/year plus in-state tuition (which really is in-state tuition).

I have significant ties to the DC area and would probably like to end up there (although, I know that the DC legal market is brutal). Beyond DC, I potentially have ties to Atlanta, and maybe Richmond.

Thanks for the help.

Yale or fail.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”