Ever so slight doubts about Yale

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
pacifica

Re: Ever so slight doubts about Yale

Postby pacifica » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:59 pm

First off, thank you RoyBatty. Your advice is invaluable.

Second, regarding my OP, I was definitely in the wrong. I risked the reputation of someone who was helping me and giving me advice; that was inexcusable. But it would have been nice if someone pointed out that my characterization of this professor was too transparent. I definitely would have redacted earlier.

That being said, I think it's interesting that web representation of facts can sometimes sacrifice nuance for extremities in order to have clarity. I'm not making excuses for what I did, but if I had said a school's program in X is "weak," versus another school's program which is "strong", that to me, at least feels very different from the dichotomy that something is equivalent of "sucks" versus "awesome". I think (and hope) none of the responses we got in this thread took my words that Yale's IP program was "nonexistent" literally. I also wished I used quotations properly.

Outside of verbatim copy-paste of admissions blogs, I find it hard to convey the force of someone's message without using superlatives behind a keyboard. Maybe I'm a bad writer... but anyways, I already apologized profusely to this professor, he said there's no hard feelings. I also withdrew from Chicago and apologized to Dean Kerry in case someone had leaked this incident to her. The good news is, if you're waiting on a Ruby, one just opened up!

BTW, if you're gonna tell on me for what I just wrote now, give me a heads up, lol. Maybe I should avoid TLS for a while.

Pope Francis

Postby Pope Francis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:20 pm

pacifica wrote:First off, thank you RoyBatty. Your advice is invaluable.

Second, regarding my OP, I was definitely in the wrong. I risked the reputation of someone who was helping me and giving me advice; that was inexcusable. But it would have been nice if someone pointed out that my characterization of this professor was too transparent. I definitely would have redacted earlier.

That being said, I think it's interesting that web representation of facts can sometimes sacrifice nuance for extremities in order to have clarity. I'm not making excuses for what I did, but if I had said a school's program in X is "weak," versus another school's program which is "strong", that to me, at least feels very different from the dichotomy that something is equivalent of "sucks" versus "awesome". I think (and hope) none of the responses we got in this thread took my words that Yale's IP program was "nonexistent" literally. I also wished I used quotations properly.

Outside of verbatim copy-paste of admissions blogs, I find it hard to convey the force of someone's message without using superlatives behind a keyboard. Maybe I'm a bad writer... but anyways, I already apologized profusely to this professor, he said there's no hard feelings. I also withdrew from Chicago and apologized to Dean Kerry in case someone had leaked this incident to her. The good news is, if you're waiting on a Ruby, one just opened up!

BTW, if you're gonna tell on me for what I just wrote now, give me a heads up, lol. Maybe I should avoid TLS for a while.

I'm not going to comment on your OP. I will say that withdrawing seems excessive. But it's already done. I do think you should think seriously, though, about how much you give away on these forums. There are likely only a handful of people who receive Rubinstein Scholarships, and likely even fewer who are focused on IP. So, you basically give away your identity to a decent amount of people when you post such specific information. Lesson learned, I imagine, but it seems like at too high a cost. When you don't give too much away, you can phrase things however you like, as no one's reputation is on the line.

pacifica

Postby pacifica » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:27 pm

Pope Francis wrote:

I'm not going to comment on your OP. I will say that withdrawing seems excessive. But it's already done. I do think you should think seriously, though, about how much you give away on these forums. There are likely only a handful of people who receive Rubinstein Scholarships, and likely even fewer who are focused on IP. So, you basically give away your identity to a decent amount of people when you post such specific information. Lesson learned, I imagine, but it seems like at too high a cost. When you don't give too much away, you can phrase things however you like, as no one's reputation is on the line.

Thanks for the advice. Just FYI, I didn't withdraw because of this incident. I was already fairly set on Yale or Stanford. Only my love for the city of Chicago let me linger onto the Ruby, although probably selfishly because those things can be re-offered. This incident only spurred me to finally do the right thing and give it up for someone who truly is seriously considering UChicago.

I made three mistakes on my OP; you can comment on it all you want, I know what I did and why it was wrong. I learned a lot about web etiquette for key situations because of it. But if the key cost you're referring to is loss of Chicago's offer, that's not it at all.

If you can't tell from my LSN profile, one of my key personal values is transparency. I will learn to be more careful in what I say, but I won't ever stray from full transparency.

ManOfTheMinute

Postby ManOfTheMinute » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:30 pm

favorite thread ever.

Pope Francis

Postby Pope Francis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:35 pm

pacifica wrote: If you can't tell from my LSN profile, one of my key personal values is transparency. I will learn to be more careful in what I say, but I won't ever stray from full transparency.

I think that's a little misleading. Unless you tell people you are quoting them, change your username to your real name, and change your tar to a picture of your face, you are straying from full transparency. There a lot of good reasons to do that. I certainly won't fault you for it. I do it myself. At any rate, enjoy Yale.

pedestrian

Postby pedestrian » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:37 pm

This turn of events is unfortunate, and I'm very sorry that you had to go through it. We all make mistakes, but the more successful you are, the more likely it is that you will face public scrutiny for your shortcomings. How you handle yourself in those situations says a lot about your character, and in my opinion you have shown a lot of class today. You will go very far, I'm sure.

pacifica

Postby pacifica » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:39 pm

Pope Francis wrote:
pacifica wrote: If you can't tell from my LSN profile, one of my key personal values is transparency. I will learn to be more careful in what I say, but I won't ever stray from full transparency.

I think that's a little misleading. Unless you tell people you are quoting them, change your username to your real name, and change your tar to a picture of your face, you are straying from full transparency. There a lot of good reasons to do that. I certainly won't fault you for it. I do it myself. At any rate, enjoy Yale.

lol, touche. not full transparency, but how about providing as much useful information as possible to help others out in a web forum? anyways, thanks again for all the advice.

also, I think in this case, my misrepresentation of the professor would have been worse if he couldn't trace it back to me, haha. At least now I could have tried to make amends.

dr123

Postby dr123 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:50 pm

Someone snitched on the OP?! What has TLS come to.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:03 pm

dr123 wrote:Someone snitched on the OP?! What has TLS come to.

Not the first time it's happened at UofC

http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=140165&start=1782

dixiecupdrinking

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:28 pm

Seriously weird move to tattle to the professor here, but I have confidence our Stanford- or Yale-bound OP will somehow manage to cope with this trauma.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:31 pm

I would make a Brian Leiter joke....but I'm scared

John_rizzy_rawls

Postby John_rizzy_rawls » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:32 pm

wannabelawstudent wrote:I would make a Brian Leiter joke....but I'm scared

90% chance he's lurking ITT. But unless you plan on attending Chi, fire away.

sinfiery

Postby sinfiery » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:42 pm

pacifica wrote:but I won't ever stray from full transparency.

I like you. Best of luck.

I say go to Yale because money will likely not be an issue for you, neither will obtaining a job, and YLS on a resume for 40 years is definitely potentially worth something. Also, I want your SLS spot.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”