Ever so slight doubts about Yale

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AspiringAcademic

Re: Ever so slight doubts about Yale

Postby AspiringAcademic » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:01 pm

I'm a big fan of free, and I like that UChi professor a lot, if I'm right about who it is. But, that aside, I'd say S over Y in your case. It's not like it's hard to get biglaw from any of your options, and the cost and quality of life factors can be huge.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:05 pm

I would take a free CCN education over full tuition at HYS any day of the week. This is especially true since your goal is biglaw, which is so easily attainable out of any of the schools at issue. And Chicago places students into the very best firms. So you would reach the pinnacle of your goal while going to school for free. That would most certainly be my choice.

jessemllr

Postby jessemllr » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:18 pm

YOLO. Move to New Haven.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:22 pm

kaiser wrote:I would take a free CCN education over full tuition at HYS any day of the week. This is especially true since your goal is biglaw, which is so easily attainable out of any of the schools at issue. And Chicago places students into the very best firms. So you would reach the pinnacle of your goal while going to school for free. That would most certainly be my choice.

Would? Like it's guaranteed if he goes to Chicago he's going to end up at one of the best firms? Please.

Postby 20141023 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Greenandgold wrote:
kaiser wrote:I would take a free CCN education over full tuition at HYS any day of the week. This is especially true since your goal is biglaw, which is so easily attainable out of any of the schools at issue. And Chicago places students into the very best firms. So you would reach the pinnacle of your goal while going to school for free. That would most certainly be my choice.

Would? Like it's guaranteed if he goes to Chicago he's going to end up at one of the best firms? Please.

Not guaranteed, but super solid chance. Not many schools better than UofC, and small class size makes it so getting big firm job isn't exactly difficult. Going for free takes off so much pressure also, and that can only help.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:46 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:Seriously OP if you can go to Columbia or Chicago for free, and your goal is biglaw, it would not be a smart move to pass that up.... unless you are one of those whose parents are paying their way

But think of living costs. Chicago aint cheap, and NYC really isn't cheap. Can't tell for sure, but it sounds like OP is getting some need-based aid from Stanford. If that's the case, plus s/he could save the cost of rent by living at home, it might even balance out, or at least come within a reasonable difference that the benefit of Stanford over Chicago would justify it.

Rahviveh

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:47 pm

untar614 wrote:
AssumptionRequired wrote:Seriously OP if you can go to Columbia or Chicago for free, and your goal is biglaw, it would not be a smart move to pass that up.... unless you are one of those whose parents are paying their way

But think of living costs. Chicago aint cheap, and NYC really isn't cheap. Can't tell for sure, but it sounds like OP is getting some need-based aid from Stanford. If that's the case, plus s/he could save the cost of rent by living at home, it might even balance out, or at least come within a reasonable difference that the benefit of Stanford over Chicago would justify it.

Rubies cover living costs (at least in part). And Hyde Park is not that expensive.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:49 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
untar614 wrote:

Rubies cover living costs (at least in part). And Hyde Park is not that expensive.

Wow, it covers living costs too? Then an easy choice would become even easier for me. Big firm jobs are pretty darn easy to get out of any of these schools, so the differences in possible firm prospects doesn't outweigh the difference in cost. I would def be picking Chicago over full tuition at the higher ranked schools.

untar614

Postby untar614 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:51 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
untar614 wrote:

It covers living expenses too? wow, wish i could get me one of those...

bluecouch

Postby bluecouch » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:56 pm

AspiringAcademic wrote:I'm a big fan of free, and I like that UChi professor a lot, if I'm right about who it is. But, that aside, I'd say S over Y in your case. It's not like it's hard to get biglaw from any of your options, and the cost and quality of life factors can be huge.

+1 on the quality of life and COA issues. Maybe it's because I'm a little older than most TLSers, but this is really really important. Plus, it's not like you are deciding between a TTT and Yale. Given your interest in IP, even if most of your training will be on the job, you might be happier going to a place with a community of IP people and scholars with whom to collaborate and where there will be better/more course offerings in that topic. At Stanford, it would also be super-easy to network with folks/firms/companies that might be able to give you a job later!

Still, sounds like you can't make a wrong choice!

Postby 20141023 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:59 pm

Last edited by 20141023 on Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pacifica

Postby pacifica » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:05 pm

jessemllr wrote:YOLO. Move to New Haven.

you know what's funny? I'm surprisingly impressionable to these types of non-nonsensical arguments. the best off-line one I heard was "yo, you asian, what your parents gonna say if you break your streak of ivy sheep skins?" lol

In all seriousness, thanks a lot for all the feedback. I just wanted to survey the field to see if there were any insights/comments I haven't considered since I was wavering a bit. It's been very helpful! Thank you all again!!

There's a slew of other factors, obviously, such as where I'd want to work, how I'll resolve my SO's status, etc., but it's good to know everyone's opinions on the other major issues though.
Last edited by pacifica on Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PriOSky

Postby PriOSky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:07 pm

Greenandgold wrote:As an IP student at Chicago right now, I'd take Stanford at half-price over Chicago for free any day. The stress of real grades isn't worth the price difference. You'll end up with firm jobs your 1L summer and 2L summer. Put that money towards your student loans and you'll walk out of law school with less than 50k in debt.

Last edited by PriOSky on Thu May 23, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wannabelawstudent

Postby wannabelawstudent » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:14 pm

Palo Alto is infinitely better than New Haven by the way.

AllTheLawz

Postby AllTheLawz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Chicago for free and unless you are from a wealthy family who will help you out it shouldn't even be close. The idea idea that any of HYS is in a different stratosphere for your needs is insane.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:31 pm

PriOSky wrote:
Greenandgold wrote:As an IP student at Chicago right now, I'd take Stanford at half-price over Chicago for free any day. The stress of real grades isn't worth the price difference. You'll end up with firm jobs your 1L summer and 2L summer. Put that money towards your student loans and you'll walk out of law school with less than 50k in debt.

Take the Ruby, and you will walk out of law school with $0 with 1L and 2L SA's (you might even end up in the positive) and BigLaw. HYS adjust your aid for 1L and 2L SA's.

Him getting a 1L SA from Chicago very much depends on his grades. Him getting a job at all from Chicago depends on his grades. That worry is gone if he's at Stanford.

LRGhost

Postby LRGhost » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:32 pm

Greenandgold wrote:
PriOSky wrote:

Take the Ruby, and you will walk out of law school with $0 with 1L and 2L SA's (you might even end up in the positive) and BigLaw. HYS adjust your aid for 1L and 2L SA's.

Him getting a 1L SA from Chicago very much depends on his grades. Him getting a job at all from Chicago depends on his grades. That worry is gone if he's at Stanford.

It's IP, bro.

Greenandgold

Postby Greenandgold » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:33 pm

LRGhost wrote:
Greenandgold wrote:
PriOSky wrote:

It's IP, bro.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:35 pm

Again, its all a comparison of 2 main factors: the increased chance of big firm positions from Stanford/Yale, vs. the difference in cost. Is it just as easy to get a big firm job out of Chicago as it is at Stanford/Yale? No, not quite as easy. But does that difference justify many tens of thousands of dollars difference in cost? No. The difference in ease of securing a firm position (while is minimal to me given the quality and placement of Chicago) is quite easily outweighed by the cost difference. And the fact that its IP makes the difference in firm prospects even smaller. So a tiny difference in firm prospects vs. $150K+. Easy choice.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Wait until you are a first year attorney. 130K in debt vs. 60k. The stress doesn't leave once you got an offer. You gotta make it several years still to pay it off.

If you are EE/CS with UG grades to get you into Stanford, I'd go cheap as possible. You are already a lock at a market paying job.

pacifica

Postby pacifica » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:39 pm

I agree with Greenandgold. I'm not going to Chicago b/c I don't want (the stress of) grades. It's just not worth the extra 30-60K/yr for three years in my mind.

A little birdie tells me that Stanford's H/P/LP is still on a curve, whereas Y's H/P isn't curved? That piece of info also played a bit into my decision just now.

Honestly, $ isn't THAT big of a deal to me. No, I'm not super wealthy by any means, so I obviously prefer the cheaper option, but my parents are willing to help me out a little bit, and I'm pretty wise with money, so if I do biglaw, I'm sure I can pay back whatever is left within 2-3 years tops.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:42 pm

AssumptionRequired wrote:If it were me, I would go to Yale simply because the first semester is pass/fail and I couldnt imagine having all my classes be pass/fail my first semester.

I can't adequately describe how amazing it is for QOL.

But, as others have said, SLS does appear to make the most sense here.

UtilityMonster

Postby UtilityMonster » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:42 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:
guano wrote:
ManOfTheMinute wrote:go to yale. quit being dumb

^ this is being dumb

Everything that guy says is dumb.

eph

Postby eph » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:47 pm

All of us eventually have to pick one school and when you are choosing among the top you can't go wrong. Another birdie tells me there is no curve at SLS.
Last edited by eph on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”