In My Dreams...

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
whereskyle

Re: In My Dreams...

Postby whereskyle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:51 am

Citizen Genet wrote:
whereskyle wrote:ANy likelihood of negotiating money out of uva on the strength of a letter? I have no competing offers. Do they care about acceptance rate/matriculation to such a degree?

Asking for more money without a competing offer isn't negotiating, it is begging. Try to get a competing offer from someone. With a 170 and a GPA that won't hurt their medians, I would assume you'd be in a good position for money from at least one of these school. It's late in the cycle, but try to get something turned around quickly. Or, if you're in the position to, wait a year and re-take in the meanwhile.

Also, what type of gov't job are you thinking? Because if you want to work as an ADA, you do not need YHS at all. If you're looking for DOJ Honors, you'll be in a great position from UVA or Georgetown provided that you do well in school. (The doing well in school part is the same for YHS though -- you can't be median at Yale and do DOJ Honors. Top 15% at V or Georgetown would be a much better position to be.)

Too late to apply anywhere in the t14. I didn't have the savvy this cycle to compel schools to bid for me. I was choosy, and I was under the impression that any school in the t10 was worth the full cost of attendance. Now that I'm seeing the COA, and now that I'm telling myself that I simply do not want to pursue biglaw, going into debt just doesn't seem worth it. The likelihood of securing a gov't job is too low, and I am just not interested in biglaw as a backup for my lofty goals. Now, I'm thinking that it is wisest to apply downward this coming cycle, to secure $$$, and to gun it at GULC or the other D.C. schools, since that is where my interests lie.

Does anyone think that sticker at UVA is wiser than gunning it with $$$ at a D.C. school, when my interests are basically exclusively in D.C.? Is there a decent amount of self selection at UVA? Do people at UVA, who want well-meaning D.C. work, often succeed in securing it?

Citizen Genet

Postby Citizen Genet » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:55 pm

Call admissions offices. Tell them your numbers. Be surprised at how un-late it is to apply. Or, if they tell you no, feel satisfied knowing that you tried every option possible and can tell me I was wrong.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:03 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:Call admissions offices. Tell them your numbers. Be surprised at how un-late it is to apply. Or, if they tell you no, feel satisfied knowing that you tried every option possible and can tell me I was wrong.

Hey! Thanks for the advice, dude.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:26 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:Call admissions offices. Tell them your numbers. Be surprised at how un-late it is to apply. Or, if they tell you no, feel satisfied knowing that you tried every option possible and can tell me I was wrong.

you are correct, sir.

Postby 02889 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:42 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:how do you not have a GPA? did you go to Brown?

Poor Brown, getting simultaneously bashed on TLS for both grade inflation and having no grades at all.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:12 pm

02889 wrote:

Poor Brown, getting simultaneously bashed on TLS for both grade inflation and having no grades at all.

I dont think I was treated as a 4.0 candidate. I wonder if I was treated simply as an LSAT score candidate. WLed at Chicago and Columbia. No love from berk. But tls stats shows plenty of green at uva for 170s. I dont think I can complain.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:20 pm

To get into schools that have good shots at PI govt clerkship you need to retake, get into HYS, then somehow convince your parents to be really poor so you can get need based aid. Srry breagh

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:47 am

whereskyle wrote:

a brown lookalike in FL. Public too. Free as a bird. I'm realizing I have severe debt aversion. No pay for school. Never had a credit card. Bought three cars with straight cash. I dont know, if I'll ever budge. Trying to decide whether I gun for hys, or if I gun it in d.c.

I miss that town

thisiswater

Postby thisiswater » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:56 pm

rad lulz wrote:To get into schools that have good shots at PI govt clerkship you need to retake, get into HYS, then somehow convince your parents to be really poor so you can get need based aid. Srry breagh

But if they get HYS then isn't COAP/LRAP/whatever they're calling it good enough that the debt isn't as much of a worry.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:06 pm

rad lulz wrote:To get into schools that have good shots at PI govt clerkship you need to retake, get into HYS, then somehow convince your parents to be really poor so you can get need based aid. Srry breagh

So, is it a given fact that gunners at gw or gulc really have no chance of securing govt opportunities despite their prime location? I have heard that students at American even are employed with compelling govt work.

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:09 pm

Citizen Genet wrote:
whereskyle wrote:ANy likelihood of negotiating money out of uva on the strength of a letter? I have no competing offers. Do they care about acceptance rate/matriculation to such a degree?

Asking for more money without a competing offer isn't negotiating, it is begging.

I wonder if anyone has ever successfully begged. I've already made up my mind to attempt it in the event I don't get any T14 scholarship offers.

whereskyle

Postby whereskyle » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:15 pm

talesofyore wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:

Asking for more money without a competing offer isn't negotiating, it is begging.

I wonder if anyone has ever successfully begged. I've already made up my mind to attempt it in the event I don't get any T14 scholarship offers.

Let us beg eloquently, and let us be rewarded.

talesofyore

Postby talesofyore » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:21 pm

whereskyle wrote:
talesofyore wrote:
Citizen Genet wrote:

Let us beg eloquently, and let us be rewarded.

Here's hoping!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”