Michigan vs UCLA vs USC

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
BigZuck

Re: Michigan vs UCLA vs USC

Postby BigZuck » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:15 am

Sounds like OP is not from CA. Given the relatively small scholarship at USC I think that's a no go. Medianish without CA ties sounds like the recipe for striking out to me. Medianish at Michigan would hopefully give OP a shot at big law somewhere.

Also OP, how will a 60K scholarship at USC leave you only 120K in the hole? Do you have money saved up or parents paying for cost of living or something? Because if everything is debt financed interest will start accruing while in school. I have double your scholarship and I figure I will be about 110K in the hole if I go to USC. You're probably looking at closer to 200K debt if you're paying for the rest with loans.

zman

Postby zman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:03 am

BigZuck wrote:Sounds like OP is not from CA. Given the relatively small scholarship at USC I think that's a no go. Medianish without CA ties sounds like the recipe for striking out to me. Medianish at Michigan would hopefully give OP a shot at big law somewhere.

Also OP, how will a 60K scholarship at USC leave you only 120K in the hole? Do you have money saved up or parents paying for cost of living or something? Because if everything is debt financed interest will start accruing while in school. I have double your scholarship and I figure I will be about 110K in the hole if I go to USC. You're probably looking at closer to 200K debt if you're paying for the rest with loans.

a lot of people get summer jobs that take care of some of their bills. there are other lower paying jobs you can do during the schools year to lower your costs. you can find ways to save on rent and books.

bullz23

Postby bullz23 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:40 pm

Thank you all for your feedback. after reflecting and considering the latest job data, i decided to go with Michigan sticker. I guess I forgot to mention that I am also waitlisted at Columbia, Chicago, Penn, Boalt, UVA, Cornell, Duke. Would it have been worth my time to wait any of those out?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”