University of San Francisco vs. Santa Clara University

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

USF or SCU?

USF
25%
SCU
75%

Total votes: 12

TRex77

University of San Francisco vs. Santa Clara University

Postby TRex77 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Have narrowed down my search to these two schools.

Received 10k from SCU renewable if I am in the top 1/3 of my class (appealed for more money last week, hoping to get more).
18k from USF, 10k renewable if I maintain a 3.2 GPA (from my research, I have found that USF has an insane curbe, with the top 10% of the class having a tad over a 3.3 GPA, so this is going to be very difficult to renew).

Looking to practice in the north bay or SF (do not want to work in the south bay, but I am willing to go to school there).

I am interested in agribusiness, which i know both these schools don't really offer, but everyone who I have talked to in this industry didn't go to school and concentrate in ag, they just got into it after graduation.

Do both schools have a similar alumni network? I know SCU has a fairly strong alumni network (considering its ranking), but not sure about USF. All things being equal, I would like to stay in SF and go to USF because I currently work and live here, and so does my gf.

I also received $27k from McGeorge, which I realize is a lot of money, but I think I would be miserable living in the Sacramento area, even though there is a lot of agribusiness there.

In undergrad, I transferred schools because I was miserable at my original school, and I don't want that to happen again. I would rather pay more to be happy then go somewhere that I loathed just to save some money.

Thanks!

hephaestus

Re: University of San Francisco vs. Santa Clara University

Postby hephaestus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:38 pm

Bay Area firm jobs are extremely competitive and neither school is a good option. In fact, both are way too expensive, have horrendous stipulations on scholarships and bad job prospects.
As specific as agribusiness is, do you know if these places hire law graduates right out of school?
It is very uncommon for corporations to hire right out of school. Most require firm experience first since new grads are useless. Retake and go to a better school. If you have ties to the area (which it sound like you do) you can get back to the area if you go to a good school.

JesusChrist

Postby JesusChrist » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:54 pm

If you got 10k from SCU then you should be able to get into Davis. Not necessarily a significantly better school, but you can't beat Davis for agribusiness. Napa, Lodi and Sonoma are stacked with Davis wine grads in some profession or another.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:56 pm

fucckkk uc davis

OP, SCU has hot gurlz

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:09 pm

TRex77 wrote:Have narrowed down my search to these two schools.

I am interested in agribusiness, which i know both these schools don't really offer, but everyone who I have talked to in this industry didn't go to school and concentrate in ag, they just got into it after graduation.

Why do you want to go to law school again?

TRex77

Postby TRex77 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:12 pm

JesusChrist wrote:If you got 10k from SCU then you should be able to get into Davis. Not necessarily a significantly better school, but you can't beat Davis for agribusiness. Napa, Lodi and Sonoma are stacked with Davis wine grads in some profession or another.

Unfortunately didn't get into Davis. They would have been my first choice.

I have a lot of contacts in the wine industry in Sonoma county and hope to get into that industry after graduation.

Gunnar Stahl

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:14 pm

J-e-L-L-o wrote:Why do you want to go to law school again?

PRgradBYU

Postby PRgradBYU » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:32 pm

LOL at USF's 33% employment score... that's horrendous. You ought to retake, OP.

eav1277

Postby eav1277 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:39 pm

Dr. Dre wrote:fucckkk uc davis

OP, SCU has hot gurlz

How do you know this dre? Lol

rickgrimes69

Postby rickgrimes69 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:58 pm

Even for free, neither of these schools is worth attending. Paying money is a terrible idea.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:05 pm

eav1277 wrote:How do you know this dre? Lol

this is common knowledge

hephaestus

Postby hephaestus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:24 pm

rickgrimes69 wrote:Even for free, neither of these schools is worth attending. Paying money is a terrible idea.

Yes. OP, please consider retaking.

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:32 am

TRex77 wrote:
JesusChrist wrote:If you got 10k from SCU then you should be able to get into Davis. Not necessarily a significantly better school, but you can't beat Davis for agribusiness. Napa, Lodi and Sonoma are stacked with Davis wine grads in some profession or another.

I have a lot of contacts in the wine industry in Sonoma county and hope to get into that industry after graduation.

Are you sure law is the right decision? Especially since you know a degree isn't required to get into "the field" (couldn't help the pun)

Business school is faster and cheaper. If you want to start a practice writing up contracts for growers and real estate transactions, you want to be paying a lot less for your law degree.

indo

Postby indo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:40 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:
TRex77 wrote:

Are you sure law is the right decision? Especially since you know a degree isn't required to get into "the field" (couldn't help the pun)

Business school is faster and cheaper. If you want to start a practice writing up contracts for growers and real estate transactions, you want to be paying a lot less for your law degree.

+1

indo

Postby indo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:43 am

Dr. Dre wrote:
eav1277 wrote:How do you know this dre? Lol

this is common knowledge

Are You Sure ?

Martin Luther King Jr may not like what you said about UCdavis law school.

dissonance1848

Postby dissonance1848 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:04 am

I assume the OP is flaming....

If not, under no circumstances go to either of these schools, even if they were free and gave you the equivalent of a PhD stipend in the process.

You want BIGAG? Hmm...... Seems like you would need to hustle and make connects.

If you are interested in the logistics, you could become a farmer, just need to check out the climatology forecasts to cover your ass on global climate change.

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:06 pm

LOL

USF Law School = #144 on US NEWS

what is a bigger LOL is their employment prospects

Return to “Choosing a Law School”