(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
francesfarmer

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby francesfarmer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:25 am

ImNoScar wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:40k for a starting salary is great. You are crazy or a shitboomer if you don't get that.

Yes ITE that's fantastic. Most of my friends from UG are making between 28 and 36k.

OP 40k is a great salary for someone who presumably has a liberal arts degree. Shit, that's a great salary with like 2+ years of work experience IMO

md22

Postby md22 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:53 pm

lutcf2021 wrote:apparently the answer IS simple.
One word.
Six Letters.
Rhymes with Beef Stake.
But you gotta do it or else you'll have Cooley JD KeepSake.

RE-TAKE.

Didn't know that Drizzy Drake was on TLS... :lol:

resilience99

Postby resilience99 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:17 pm

so its unanimous. take the job and possibly retake. anyone out there support going to a second tier law school now?

indo

Postby indo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:38 pm

resilience99 wrote:so its unanimous. take the job and possibly retake. anyone out there support going to a second tier law school now?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Void

Postby Void » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:47 pm

<--- about to graduate from a second tier law school. Would knife fight you in a pit of pigshit for your $40k job. Take the job, leave the pigshitty knife fight.

Edited to add: Top of my class. Unemployed.

paranoia4ya

Postby paranoia4ya » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:04 pm

Void wrote:<--- about to graduate from a second tier law school. Would knife fight you in a pit of pigshit for your $40k job. Take the job, leave the pigshitty knife fight.

Edited to add: Top of my class. Unemployed.

HAHA

also, I would take the job. I have a non liberal arts degree and I Planned on working for a couple years b4 grad school, but I did not find a job. It seems that you already found employment in an area where you are interested in working, so you shouldn't be worried about not having a jd, ESpecially if there is room to grow in the occupation. If your employer thinks you are cute, there is no reason to put on extra makeup.

If you really, really want to go to law school, wait until it is more financially feasible and you are not afraid of the potential employment outcomes dude.
Last edited by paranoia4ya on Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:58 pm

resilience99 wrote:anyone out there working in healthcare compliance without a jd?

Plenty of people are. Don't go to law school.

resilience99

Postby resilience99 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:28 pm

I wonder how many 0Ls changed their mind about law school because of the TLS forums. Improving the legal job market lol

jeffyl00b

Postby jeffyl00b » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:20 pm

I used to work with claims and contracts and didn't get 40k, just a crap work environment and getting unpaid promotions. It also doesn't seem to matter for law schools either as someone else suggested it does.
I don't know why anyone would suggest you not take the job, nor go to the school and take the entrance test again. Sounds like a braindead suggestion.
It's also pretty funny that the 1%er wannabe's here would tell you that 40k is great. 40k puts food on the table, I'd like to take 40k. I mention 40k to anyone in person I can't find a single person who thinks that's enough nor is middle class. Just look at the surveys. I've applied for a bunch of 40k jobs actually, if I hear back it's going to be fun deciding myself, I'm on the short list for one this week.

For a serious answer. It really depends.
How will your company culture be? Will you be able to post for promotions, or is it the culture of secret promotions to new jobs only to the bosses friends? Will you get to telecommute and have it pulled from under you? Will they be backstabbers or will you be able to be left alone?
Are you working for a health insurance company or a hospital? I don't need to know the answer, someone mentioned Obamacare. It sucked all the money out of our company, not to mention in Insurance, Obamacare caps your salary now as well. There's problems working in the industry now.
On the flip side, school has unknowns as well, and you'll have to look for jobs again. But that has even more unknowns.
It depends on your personality. Do you crave stability now and do you feel there's not going to be more layoffs? Or do you feel you'll regret not taking the chance and starting over? I wish I worked in law so I could give you a comparison and not a guess. And you're definitely not going to find that here.

FWIW, if the marketing materials are right, 90k is below average. I never figured out what that equals to in a 25 year repayment or such.

jeffyl00b

Postby jeffyl00b » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:25 pm

resilience99 wrote:I wonder how many 0Ls changed their mind about law school because of the TLS forums. Improving the legal job market lol

Hopefully a lot, isn't that the point of this? Like a penny stock forum.

resilience99

Postby resilience99 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:55 pm

jeffyl00b wrote:
resilience99 wrote:I wonder how many 0Ls changed their mind about law school because of the TLS forums. Improving the legal job market lol

Hopefully a lot, isn't that the point of this? Like a penny stock forum.

As long as TLS is online, I might go to law school knowing the job market is going to be rosy when I graduate in three years.

Void

Postby Void » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:11 am

jeffyl00b wrote:I used to work with claims and contracts and didn't get 40k, just a crap work environment and getting unpaid promotions. It also doesn't seem to matter for law schools either as someone else suggested it does.
I don't know why anyone would suggest you not take the job, nor go to the school and take the entrance test again. Sounds like a braindead suggestion.
It's also pretty funny that the 1%er wannabe's here would tell you that 40k is great. 40k puts food on the table, I'd like to take 40k. I mention 40k to anyone in person I can't find a single person who thinks that's enough nor is middle class. Just look at the surveys. I've applied for a bunch of 40k jobs actually, if I hear back it's going to be fun deciding myself, I'm on the short list for one this week.

How will your company culture be? Will you be able to post for promotions, or is it the culture of secret promotions to new jobs only to the bosses friends? Will you get to telecommute and have it pulled from under you? Will they be backstabbers or will you be able to be left alone?
Are you working for a health insurance company or a hospital? I don't need to know the answer, someone mentioned Obamacare. It sucked all the money out of our company, not to mention in Insurance, Obamacare caps your salary now as well. There's problems working in the industry now.
On the flip side, school has unknowns as well, and you'll have to look for jobs again. But that has even more unknowns.
It depends on your personality. Do you crave stability now and do you feel there's not going to be more layoffs? Or do you feel you'll regret not taking the chance and starting over? I wish I worked in law so I could give you a comparison and not a guess. And you're definitely not going to find that here.

FWIW, if the marketing materials are right, 90k is below average. I never figured out what that equals to in a 25 year repayment or such.

Maybe I'm just really tired, but this post barely makes any sense to me. Wtf is this guy talking about?

star fox

Postby star fox » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:13 am

Didn't you hear? TLS just exists so the posters here can eliminate possible competition for BIGLAW.

resilience99

Postby resilience99 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:48 am

Void wrote:
jeffyl00b wrote:I used to work with claims and contracts and didn't get 40k, just a crap work environment and getting unpaid promotions. It also doesn't seem to matter for law schools either as someone else suggested it does.

Maybe I'm just really tired, but this post barely makes any sense to me. Wtf is this guy talking about?

I thought it was just me.

please summarize your key points in 2-3 sentences.

resilience99

Postby resilience99 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:39 pm

Return to “Choosing a Law School”