. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
resilience99

Bronze

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Post by resilience99 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:00 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
resilience99 wrote:Isn't it going to be difficult to compete with attorneys for jobs in the healthcare compliance field without a jd??
You seem insistent on going to law school regardless of how stupid of an idea it is, so go to law school. :roll:
I am not insistent just want to look at the whole picture not just nine months after grad.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:02 pm

NO retake.

Take the job. Most TTT students would literally kill a hooker for that job.

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:11 pm

Other opinions ?

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:23 pm

no one is going to tell you what you want to hear.

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:42 pm

anyone out there working in healthcare compliance without a jd?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 pm

40K job and it's not even close. You want to rack up six figure debt for a shitty chance at a decent salary when you already have one. XXXXXXXXXXXX Family Feud style wrong answer

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 pm

resilience99 wrote:anyone out there working in healthcare compliance without a jd?
Potentially you d00d

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:11 pm

do you think three years from now, expected grad, the market would be better? much less applicants and competition. I am just worried of regretting my chance to go to ls and just accept a mediocre job.

justonemoregame

Silver

Post by justonemoregame » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:13 pm

When you go to LS, you are hoping for a mediocre job.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:13 pm

resilience99 wrote:do you think three years from now, expected grad, the market would be better? much less applicants and competition. I am just worried of regretting my chance to go to ls and just accept a mediocre job.
You can always go later?

Law school isn't going anywhere (unfortunately)

Its not like you have great offers on the table that you cant pass up

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:15 pm

I'd probably take the 40k job if I were you.

I definitely would not attend a lower ranked law school if it will require anything north of 50k in student loans.

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:17 pm

justonemoregame wrote:When you go to LS, you are hoping for a mediocre job.
Again, Im talking about overall career choices not a few months after graduating. A legal degree, even from a t2, might be smarter in the long run then taking a job now. or am I crazy?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:18 pm

resilience99 wrote:
Again, Im talking about overall career choices not a few months after graduating. A legal degree, even from a t2, might be smarter in the long run then taking a job now. or am I crazy?
You're right dood, you may not get a legal job right away, but after 5 years as general manager at Starbucks, you'll totally be Skadden partner material.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:19 pm

resilience99 wrote:anyone out there working in healthcare compliance without a jd?
I know several people who work in compliance (not healthcare specifically, but similar field). Having a JD isn't a bonus. You're not representing clients. The company can pay people to interpret laws, research, set standards and procedures. It actually can be more difficult to get an entry level position in these kinds of jobs with a jd because they're worried (right or wrong) that the JD will jump ship when those actual attorney jobs suddenly materialize. Depending on what, specifically, you're doing compliance-wise, a JD may be required for say manager and above positions, but it seriously just depends on exactly what your job duties are.

Also - you are being crazy. If you just graduated, work the 30-40k job. Figure out if you like what you do. It is somewhat similar to attorney work and law school will always be there. If you HATE your job, you've earned some salary and saved yourself the law school debt. I don't know why you are acting like this is an either-or choice when it may be a do one now, do the other later type thing.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 pm

resilience99 wrote:
I don't know really, a common trend is for people to work in law at a big or medium firm for 5 or 6 years and then transition to something else like in house counsel. You aren't going to do this out of a lower ranked law school.

If you start with crap, you don't magically turn crap into gold. It's possible to become very experienced and build up your own small firm over time, but it's a lot harder now than it used to be. I'll say this, if you do go to that low ranked law school, you should probably be gunning for some kind of government job. Those aren't easy to get, but the job security, pay, and benefits is probably better than you'll do in the private sector.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with starting low at a company and trying to build your way up to a manager type position. Healthcare is a great field for employees.

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:47 pm

You can't ask yourself about 20-30 years down the line because the legal profession is collapsing right now. Salaries have essentially deflated over the past few years, and demand for legal services may continue to decrease. If you're one of the 50% of people without a lawyer job out of your local T2 then it doesn't matter whether the 5% of your class who got good firm jobs are going to be making bank in 20 years since you're back to square one. Meanwhile you have a job offer that gets you a shot to move up without any debt. Take the

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:50 pm

resilience99 wrote:do you think three years from now, expected grad, the market would be better? much less applicants and competition. I am just worried of regretting my chance to go to ls and just accept a mediocre job.
What dude? Law school will still be there in 3 (or even 10+) years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

goldenflash19

Silver

Post by goldenflash19 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:03 am

I was in a similar position and took the job. Best decision of my life. The WE is really valuable. I've traveled, studied a new language, saved a little money, and really enjoyed just hitting up the bars with my buddies on the weekend. I'm optimistic the WE will pay dividends at OCI in the future and am retaking with hopes of T6 or lower T14 w/ substantial scholly.

Retake and WE is the TCR.

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 am

goldenflash19 wrote:I was in a similar position and took the job. Best decision of my life. The WE is really valuable. I've traveled, studied a new language, saved a little money, and really enjoyed just hitting up the bars with my buddies on the weekend. I'm optimistic the WE will pay dividends at OCI in the future and am retaking with hopes of T6 or lower T14 w/ substantial scholly.

please explain some of these acronyms. also, was your salary starting at 40k?

Gunnar Stahl

Silver

Post by Gunnar Stahl » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:45 am

resilience99 wrote:
goldenflash19 wrote:I was in a similar position and took the job. Best decision of my life. The WE is really valuable. I've traveled, studied a new language, saved a little money, and really enjoyed just hitting up the bars with my buddies on the weekend. I'm optimistic the WE will pay dividends at OCI in the future and am retaking with hopes of T6 or lower T14 w/ substantial scholly.

please explain some of these acronyms. also, was your salary starting at 40k?
WE=Work experience
OCI=On campus interviews
T6=top 6
T14=top 14
Scholly= scholarship
TCR=The credited/correct response

fruitoftheloom

Bronze

Post by fruitoftheloom » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:04 am

40k for a starting salary is great. You are crazy or a shitboomer if you don't get that.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cjayb

New

Post by cjayb » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:06 am

I work in asset management compliance. I don't have a JD, and I pulled 63k my first year in the field, so it's possible to make decent money without a JD. My CCO/Senior Officers do not have a JD, and in fact, the only person with a JD in my entire department is our GC.

You don't really need a JD in Compliance, and if you have to pay for it, then it probably isn't worth it in the long run. Try either getting a full scholarship or wait until you work for a company that is willing to pick up the costs.

resilience99

Bronze

Post by resilience99 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:09 am

cjayb wrote:I work in asset management compliance. I don't have a JD, and I pulled 63k my first year in the field, so it's possible to make decent money without a JD. My CCO/Senior Officers do not have a JD, and in fact, the only person with a JD in my entire department is our GC.

You don't really need a JD in Compliance, and if you have to pay for it, then it probably isn't worth it in the long run. Try either getting a full scholarship or wait until you work for a company that is willing to pick up the costs.
how many years you've been working?

cjayb

New

Post by cjayb » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:12 am

resilience99 wrote:
cjayb wrote:I work in asset management compliance. I don't have a JD, and I pulled 63k my first year in the field, so it's possible to make decent money without a JD. My CCO/Senior Officers do not have a JD, and in fact, the only person with a JD in my entire department is our GC.

how many years you've been working?
2 years.

hephaestus

Gold

Post by hephaestus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:40k for a starting salary is great. You are crazy or a shitboomer if you don't get that.
Yes ITE that's fantastic. Most of my friends from UG are making between 28 and 36k.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”