.

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
resilience99
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby resilience99 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:00 pm

dextermorgan wrote:
resilience99 wrote:Isn't it going to be difficult to compete with attorneys for jobs in the healthcare compliance field without a jd??

You seem insistent on going to law school regardless of how stupid of an idea it is, so go to law school. :roll:


I am not insistent just want to look at the whole picture not just nine months after grad.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby 09042014 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:02 pm

NO retake.

Take the job. Most TTT students would literally kill a hooker for that job.

resilience99
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby resilience99 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:11 pm

Other opinions ?

User avatar
Gunnar Stahl
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:23 pm

no one is going to tell you what you want to hear.

resilience99
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby resilience99 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:42 pm

anyone out there working in healthcare compliance without a jd?

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby justonemoregame » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 pm

40K job and it's not even close. You want to rack up six figure debt for a shitty chance at a decent salary when you already have one. XXXXXXXXXXXX Family Feud style wrong answer

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby rad lulz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:47 pm

resilience99 wrote:anyone out there working in healthcare compliance without a jd?

Potentially you d00d

resilience99
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby resilience99 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:11 pm

do you think three years from now, expected grad, the market would be better? much less applicants and competition. I am just worried of regretting my chance to go to ls and just accept a mediocre job.

User avatar
justonemoregame
Posts: 1160
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby justonemoregame » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:13 pm

When you go to LS, you are hoping for a mediocre job.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:13 pm

resilience99 wrote:do you think three years from now, expected grad, the market would be better? much less applicants and competition. I am just worried of regretting my chance to go to ls and just accept a mediocre job.

You can always go later?

Law school isn't going anywhere (unfortunately)

Its not like you have great offers on the table that you cant pass up

User avatar
Mick Haller
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:15 pm

I'd probably take the 40k job if I were you.

I definitely would not attend a lower ranked law school if it will require anything north of 50k in student loans.

resilience99
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby resilience99 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:17 pm

justonemoregame wrote:When you go to LS, you are hoping for a mediocre job.


Again, Im talking about overall career choices not a few months after graduating. A legal degree, even from a t2, might be smarter in the long run then taking a job now. or am I crazy?

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby Samara » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:18 pm

resilience99 wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:When you go to LS, you are hoping for a mediocre job.


Again, Im talking about overall career choices not a few months after graduating. A legal degree, even from a t2, might be smarter in the long run then taking a job now. or am I crazy?

You're right dood, you may not get a legal job right away, but after 5 years as general manager at Starbucks, you'll totally be Skadden partner material.

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby fruitoftheloom » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:19 pm

resilience99 wrote:anyone out there working in healthcare compliance without a jd?

I know several people who work in compliance (not healthcare specifically, but similar field). Having a JD isn't a bonus. You're not representing clients. The company can pay people to interpret laws, research, set standards and procedures. It actually can be more difficult to get an entry level position in these kinds of jobs with a jd because they're worried (right or wrong) that the JD will jump ship when those actual attorney jobs suddenly materialize. Depending on what, specifically, you're doing compliance-wise, a JD may be required for say manager and above positions, but it seriously just depends on exactly what your job duties are.

Also - you are being crazy. If you just graduated, work the 30-40k job. Figure out if you like what you do. It is somewhat similar to attorney work and law school will always be there. If you HATE your job, you've earned some salary and saved yourself the law school debt. I don't know why you are acting like this is an either-or choice when it may be a do one now, do the other later type thing.

User avatar
Mick Haller
Posts: 1258
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby Mick Haller » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:30 pm

resilience99 wrote:
justonemoregame wrote:When you go to LS, you are hoping for a mediocre job.


Again, Im talking about overall career choices not a few months after graduating. A legal degree, even from a t2, might be smarter in the long run then taking a job now. or am I crazy?


I don't know really, a common trend is for people to work in law at a big or medium firm for 5 or 6 years and then transition to something else like in house counsel. You aren't going to do this out of a lower ranked law school.

If you start with crap, you don't magically turn crap into gold. It's possible to become very experienced and build up your own small firm over time, but it's a lot harder now than it used to be. I'll say this, if you do go to that low ranked law school, you should probably be gunning for some kind of government job. Those aren't easy to get, but the job security, pay, and benefits is probably better than you'll do in the private sector.

But I don't think there's anything wrong with starting low at a company and trying to build your way up to a manager type position. Healthcare is a great field for employees.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:47 pm

You can't ask yourself about 20-30 years down the line because the legal profession is collapsing right now. Salaries have essentially deflated over the past few years, and demand for legal services may continue to decrease. If you're one of the 50% of people without a lawyer job out of your local T2 then it doesn't matter whether the 5% of your class who got good firm jobs are going to be making bank in 20 years since you're back to square one. Meanwhile you have a job offer that gets you a shot to move up without any debt. Take the

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby dr123 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:50 pm

resilience99 wrote:do you think three years from now, expected grad, the market would be better? much less applicants and competition. I am just worried of regretting my chance to go to ls and just accept a mediocre job.


What dude? Law school will still be there in 3 (or even 10+) years.

User avatar
goldenflash19
Posts: 477
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:15 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby goldenflash19 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:03 am

I was in a similar position and took the job. Best decision of my life. The WE is really valuable. I've traveled, studied a new language, saved a little money, and really enjoyed just hitting up the bars with my buddies on the weekend. I'm optimistic the WE will pay dividends at OCI in the future and am retaking with hopes of T6 or lower T14 w/ substantial scholly.

Retake and WE is the TCR.

resilience99
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby resilience99 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:41 am

goldenflash19 wrote:I was in a similar position and took the job. Best decision of my life. The WE is really valuable. I've traveled, studied a new language, saved a little money, and really enjoyed just hitting up the bars with my buddies on the weekend. I'm optimistic the WE will pay dividends at OCI in the future and am retaking with hopes of T6 or lower T14 w/ substantial scholly.

Retake and WE is the TCR.


please explain some of these acronyms. also, was your salary starting at 40k?

User avatar
Gunnar Stahl
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:57 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby Gunnar Stahl » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:45 am

resilience99 wrote:
goldenflash19 wrote:I was in a similar position and took the job. Best decision of my life. The WE is really valuable. I've traveled, studied a new language, saved a little money, and really enjoyed just hitting up the bars with my buddies on the weekend. I'm optimistic the WE will pay dividends at OCI in the future and am retaking with hopes of T6 or lower T14 w/ substantial scholly.

Retake and WE is the TCR.


please explain some of these acronyms. also, was your salary starting at 40k?

WE=Work experience
OCI=On campus interviews
T6=top 6
T14=top 14
Scholly= scholarship
TCR=The credited/correct response

User avatar
fruitoftheloom
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby fruitoftheloom » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:04 am

40k for a starting salary is great. You are crazy or a shitboomer if you don't get that.

cjayb
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby cjayb » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:06 am

I work in asset management compliance. I don't have a JD, and I pulled 63k my first year in the field, so it's possible to make decent money without a JD. My CCO/Senior Officers do not have a JD, and in fact, the only person with a JD in my entire department is our GC.

You don't really need a JD in Compliance, and if you have to pay for it, then it probably isn't worth it in the long run. Try either getting a full scholarship or wait until you work for a company that is willing to pick up the costs.

resilience99
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:15 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby resilience99 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:09 am

cjayb wrote:I work in asset management compliance. I don't have a JD, and I pulled 63k my first year in the field, so it's possible to make decent money without a JD. My CCO/Senior Officers do not have a JD, and in fact, the only person with a JD in my entire department is our GC.

You don't really need a JD in Compliance, and if you have to pay for it, then it probably isn't worth it in the long run. Try either getting a full scholarship or wait until you work for a company that is willing to pick up the costs.


how many years you've been working?

cjayb
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:46 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby cjayb » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:12 am

resilience99 wrote:
cjayb wrote:I work in asset management compliance. I don't have a JD, and I pulled 63k my first year in the field, so it's possible to make decent money without a JD. My CCO/Senior Officers do not have a JD, and in fact, the only person with a JD in my entire department is our GC.

You don't really need a JD in Compliance, and if you have to pay for it, then it probably isn't worth it in the long run. Try either getting a full scholarship or wait until you work for a company that is willing to pick up the costs.


how many years you've been working?


2 years.

User avatar
hephaestus
Posts: 2385
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Re: Second tier school or 40k job

Postby hephaestus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:40k for a starting salary is great. You are crazy or a shitboomer if you don't get that.

Yes ITE that's fantastic. Most of my friends from UG are making between 28 and 36k.




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138, midwestkid06, no exit, Socratease and 4 guests