Need Help Making A Decision: UGA ($$)/UNC/Wake ($$)

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which of these is the best option?

UNC (in-state tuition, no scholarship)
36%
UGA (in-state tuition, scholarship)
43%
Wake Forest (scholarship)
21%

Total votes: 28

mickimoto

Need Help Making A Decision: UGA ($$)/UNC/Wake ($$)

Postby mickimoto » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:11 pm

Hey! I am looking for some help choosing between the three schools listed in the subject heading (University of North Carolina, University of Georgia, and Wake Forest). Wake Forest is a distant third -- I'm just tagging it on there because I like grouping things in threes, apparently.

I'm a North Carolina resident, and although I'm not sure exactly where I'd like to live/work after graduating, North Carolina is definitely on the short list. The only reason I am even considering schools other than UNC at this point is because, factoring in scholarships, going to UGA is just under $20,000 less in loan money than attending UNC (total. Around $6,000 less each year). Wake is about $10,000 less expensive for me than UNC.

Thoughts? Any advice that might help in choosing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

rebexness

Re: Need Help Making A Decision: UGA ($$)/UNC/Wake ($$)

Postby rebexness » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:14 pm

mickimoto wrote:Hey! I am looking for some help choosing between the three schools listed in the subject heading (University of North Carolina, University of Georgia, and Wake Forest). Wake Forest is a distant third -- I'm just tagging it on there because I like grouping things in threes, apparently.

I'm a North Carolina resident, and although I'm not sure exactly where I'd like to live/work after graduating, North Carolina is definitely on the short list. The only reason I am even considering schools other than UNC at this point is because, factoring in scholarships, going to UGA is just under $20,000 less in loan money than attending UNC (total. Around $6,000 less each year). Wake is about $10,000 less expensive for me than UNC.

Thoughts? Any advice that might help in choosing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

What are you estimated costs of attendance at each location?

Dr. Dre

Postby Dr. Dre » Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:28 pm

UNC...

has a nice campus

wiseowl

Postby wiseowl » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:04 pm

it cannot be overstated how much UNC law runs the state of NC, and this is from someone that went to Duke. take UNC and don't look back.

Wakelaw15

Postby Wakelaw15 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:14 pm

wiseowl wrote:it cannot be overstated how much UNC law runs the state of NC, and this is from someone that went to Duke. take UNC and don't look back.

There is no difference between Wfu and UNC placement in state except for PI. UNC is a better location than wake so for $10k it might be worth it.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:27 pm

^ Agreed.

If you're sure you want to be in NC, I'd go with Wake over UNC. (In fact, I did go with Wake over UNC when given the option -- even though they were the same price, whereas Wake is cheaper for you). UNC's "dominance" in NC is overstated (and thoroughly discussed in some other threads, so I won't go into it here).

Honestly, if you want to be in NC, I'd visit both Wake and UNC (you might have already done so), and see which one gives you a better feeling. UNC has significantly more students (~50% more than Wake). If you like the larger, public-school feel, UNC's the place for you. If you like the smaller, private-school feel, Wake will likely be more your cup of tea. Compare the towns: Chapel Hill is closer to Raleigh, Durham, Cary, etc., and you'll have more "night life"/shopping/culture options; Winston-Salem is closer to Greensboro and Charlotte (a little over an hour away). Winston definitely moves at a slower pace than Raleigh/Chapel Hill, but a lot of folks seem to like it -- including those from larger cities (Atlanta, NY, etc.).

I'm happy to discuss it more if you'd like to PM me.

cm2015

Postby cm2015 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:48 pm

If North Carolina is where you really want to be post-law school then I think your decision comes down to Wake vs. UNC, and from there which would be most cost-effective. If you want to reach into the Atlanta market then UGA would be the better choice, but it doesn't seem like that is your motivation based on the brief reasoning you gave us. Full disclosure: I am a UGA 1L and have been very happy with my decision, you can pm me if you have questions about Georgia. Good luck, also try negotiating w/ UNC. I don't know much about their typical scholarship awards but it seems like with offers from two peer schools you could get them to play ball.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:04 pm

rebexness wrote:What are you estimated costs of attendance at each location?

mickimoto

Postby mickimoto » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:29 pm

rad lulz wrote:

Thanks to everyone who's chimed in so far. Estimated cost of attendance for each has been a little hard to gather, but these are my best estimates, factoring in cost of living, rent, food, books, tuition and fees, etc:

UGA: ~$31,000

UNC: ~$39,000

Wake: ~$31,300

Those numbers represent the approximate amount of debt I'd be taking on at each school per year to fund living expenses and everything else. -sigh.-

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:33 pm

mickimoto wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Thanks to everyone who's chimed in so far. Estimated cost of attendance for each has been a little hard to gather, but these are my best estimates, factoring in cost of living, rent, food, books, tuition and fees, etc:

Those numbers represent the approximate amount of debt I'd be taking on at each school per year to fund living expenses and everything else. -sigh.-

That is a lot of money for that level of school brother. At that point you are going to experience the TYRANNY of 7.9%

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:38 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
mickimoto wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

That is a lot of money for that level of school brother. At that point you are going to experience the TYRANNY of 7.9%

This

timbs4339

Postby timbs4339 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:43 pm

mickimoto wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Have you exhausted negotiation avenues yet?

Wakelaw15

Postby Wakelaw15 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:47 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
mickimoto wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

I don't agree. Cost of living (rent/food/entertainment/transportation) is $15,000-$20,000 per year alone, and you can't escape that no matter where you go. This means that for WFU you would pay $10,000-15,000 per year, which is not very much at all. Basically, if you think this is too much then you shouldn't attend law school anywhere.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:49 pm

Wakelaw15 wrote:I don't agree. Cost of living (rent/food/entertainment/transportation) is $15,000-$20,000 per year alone, and you can't escape that no matter where you go.

This is dumb because; you have to debt finance that

Wakelaw15

Postby Wakelaw15 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:15 pm

rad lulz wrote:This is dumb because; you have to debt finance that

lol, I guess this is the new version of "your an idiot."

mickimoto

Postby mickimoto » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:18 pm

Update: it might also be relevant that I have a back-up job lined up for after I graduate with the firm where I am currently a legal assistant (in NC). One of the partners had that discussion with me yesterday, which I suppose swings things more in favor of Wake/UNC?

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:18 pm

UGA, plus Athens is an awesome little college town.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:21 pm

mickimoto wrote:Update: it might also be relevant that I have a back-up job lined up for after I graduate with the firm where I am currently a legal assistant (in NC). One of the partners had that discussion with me yesterday, which I suppose swings things more in favor of Wake/UNC?

Describe how this conversation went

mickimoto

Postby mickimoto » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:41 pm

rad lulz wrote:
mickimoto wrote:Update: it might also be relevant that I have a back-up job lined up for after I graduate with the firm where I am currently a legal assistant (in NC). One of the partners had that discussion with me yesterday, which I suppose swings things more in favor of Wake/UNC?

Well, it's a small firm, and everybody knows I'm applying to law schools and planning on leaving in August (two of the partners wrote me recommendation letters). They check in occasionally to see how the process is going. I described basically the issue I've posted here. He asked where I wanted to practice; I explained that I was leaning toward NC but that I'd happily go wherever a job was. He told me that, as I make my decision, I "should know that [I'd] have an offer here once I graduated." Today I followed up and thanked him for letting me know about the potential job, and he said it was "more than potential" and that he and the other partners had already discussed it.

I know those are only words at this point, but I don't think he has anything to gain by offering/mentioning it now for no reason. Which brings me back to: swinging this more to Wake/UNC?

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:44 pm

mickimoto wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

Well, it's a small firm, and everybody knows I'm applying to law schools and planning on leaving in August (two of the partners wrote me recommendation letters). They check in occasionally to see how the process is going. I described basically the issue I've posted here. He asked where I wanted to practice; I explained that I was leaning toward NC but that I'd happily go wherever a job was. He told me that, as I make my decision, I "should know that [I'd] have an offer here once I graduated." Today I followed up and thanked him for letting me know about the potential job, and he said it was "more than potential" and that he and the other partners had already discussed it.

I know those are only words at this point, but I don't think he has anything to gain by offering/mentioning it now for no reason. Which brings me back to: swinging this more to Wake/UNC?

That sounds pretty good, but keep in mind anything can change in 3 years. I guess I'd try to negotiate with Wake or UNC then go to the cheaper. I the salary is like $50k though paying back $100k on that is gonna be oppressive bro

cm2015

Postby cm2015 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:49 pm

mickimoto wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

I think this would swing toward the cheapest option of the 3, and no matter where you go maintaining a good relationship/ keeping in contact with this partner. In your situation I fail to see any real reason to go to UNC at sticker with scholly offers from Wake/UGA unless UNC utterly dominates any other markets you're interested in. Keep negotiating with and visit all three, choose the cheapest/where you feel most comfortable.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:18 pm

Job offer? Try to stay in NC, but basically go to the cheapest of the three.

jym_dawg

Postby jym_dawg » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:23 pm

Gatriel wrote:UGA, plus Athens is an awesome little college town.

You're not wrong about this, but it's not easy to get back to NC with a Georgia degree. LST says over 90% of employed grads in 2011 found work in GA. Unless you're top of the class at UGA and can get DC/NY, then it's very difficult to get a jerb in another state, especially one like NC that is dominated by its own brand-name state school. But if you're okay with living in Georgia, then I'd take UGA.

Return to “Choosing a Law School”