NYU VS Fordam VS Cardozo VS Rutgers

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: NYU VS Fordam VS Cardozo VS Rutgers

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:09 am

But it's not a bargain

User avatar
NewYorkL
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: NYU VS Fordam VS Cardozo VS Rutgers

Postby NewYorkL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:17 am

rad lulz wrote:But it's not a bargain



And your reasoning is..?

I'm saying that if you take into consideration most low T1 to T2 schools, it has comparable employment prospects if not better and is just a fraction of the cost. Making it a bargain.

LRGhost
Posts: 1869
Joined: Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: NYU VS Fordam VS Cardozo VS Rutgers

Postby LRGhost » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Not retaking is dumb and if your only reason is 'lol i didn't like the test' then you have an incredibly short-sighted outlook and lackluster reasoning skills. You legitimately have the information in front of you (if you're on TLS) as to why three of these schools are bad choices even with a significant scholarship and you still want to go. You're wasting a resource that most law students never had (but wish they had) and dismissing any actual advice because you're lazy. You are making a mistake and if this is harsh, it's because nobody is calling you out hard enough. For your own sake, retake. The absolute worst is you delay an objectively poor decision one year.

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: NYU VS Fordam VS Cardozo VS Rutgers

Postby rad lulz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:33 pm

NewYorkL wrote:
rad lulz wrote:But it's not a bargain



And your reasoning is..?

I'm saying that if you take into consideration most low T1 to T2 schools, it has comparable employment prospects if not better and is just a fraction of the cost. Making it a bargain.

Because going over $100k in debt for a 50/50 shot at a likely $55k outcome is not a bargain.

User avatar
NewYorkL
Posts: 171
Joined: Fri May 18, 2012 6:55 pm

Re: NYU VS Fordam VS Cardozo VS Rutgers

Postby NewYorkL » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:53 pm

rad lulz wrote:
NewYorkL wrote:
rad lulz wrote:But it's not a bargain



And your reasoning is..?

I'm saying that if you take into consideration most low T1 to T2 schools, it has comparable employment prospects if not better and is just a fraction of the cost. Making it a bargain.

Because going over $100k in debt for a 50/50 shot at a likely $55k outcome is not a bargain.


That's the risk mostly everyone is taking outside the T14. I guess your saying law school in general cannot be a bargain but I'm saying that if is such a thing Rutgers would be it. Rutgers is one of the cheapest law school options with similar prospects of Tier 1 schools outside the T14. But I guess you could recommend not going to law school since this sad reality is what most of us will be facing.

wfudeacons2005
Posts: 150
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 2:08 am

Re: NYU VS Fordam VS Cardozo VS Rutgers

Postby wfudeacons2005 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:02 am

NewYorkL wrote:
rad lulz wrote:
NewYorkL wrote:
rad lulz wrote:But it's not a bargain



And your reasoning is..?

I'm saying that if you take into consideration most low T1 to T2 schools, it has comparable employment prospects if not better and is just a fraction of the cost. Making it a bargain.

Because going over $100k in debt for a 50/50 shot at a likely $55k outcome is not a bargain.


That's the risk mostly everyone is taking outside the T14. I guess your saying law school in general cannot be a bargain but I'm saying that if is such a thing Rutgers would be it. Rutgers is one of the cheapest law school options with similar prospects of Tier 1 schools outside the T14. But I guess you could recommend not going to law school since this sad reality is what most of us will be facing.


I second this 100%. If you beat the median at RU, you will most likely find legal employment in New Jersey. Today, that isn't something that many schools outside of the T-14 can say. And, because your debt load will be significantly lower than the Fordhams of the world you have a lot more flexibility.

User avatar
guano
Posts: 2268
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:49 am

Re: NYU VS Fordam VS Cardozo VS Rutgers

Postby guano » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:14 am

Sweetlady75 wrote:She is one of the founding partners, so I'm guessing she would be able to influence the decision. I'm just going to go ahead and contact her. Hopefully, I will get the answer I'm looking for. I know she would have no problem with the summers, but as you said, they may be saving their permanent spots for T-14 grads...

ordinarily, I'd say it won't help that much, because most, if not all, firms have anti-nepotism rules in place, as well as hard cutoffs, which means that if you're borderline, the connection can get you an interview, but after that you're on your own. If it's a founding partner, that might hold more weight, but no one here can honestly tell you how much. The other thing is, please be advised that whether or not the person will go to bat for you and really push for you, rather than just hand your resume to the hiring manager (which still carries a lot of weight, but not nearly as much) is also something you need to take into consideration. Many people in that kind of position are happy to pass your details along, but not grant you the job, for a number of reasons.

Sweetlady75
Posts: 54
Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:25 pm

Re: NYU VS Fordam VS Cardozo VS Rutgers

Postby Sweetlady75 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:33 pm

Thank you all for your opinions. I appreciate your advice on this tough decision. I will update you guys once I've made my decision




Return to “Choosing a Law School”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Mhr and 2 guests